Raiders Oficially Hire Jon Gruden as Next HC - Presser Scheduled for 1/9/18

26CornerBlitz

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

why does it matter if any other team will follow suit? How would it work as a "marketing ploy"?  That doesn't even make sense. 

With that same team Dungy was bounced from the first round of the playoffs (which he would become his MO with Manning in Indy) two years in a row.  Gruden took advantage of the Raiders coaching staff in the SB, but he had to get to the SB.  He did it with the offensive firepower I described.  Not bad.

Why had no other team thought of this before?  And what is so hard to understand about the marketing aspect of hiring Jon Gruden for a team moving to a place like Las Vegas?  The dude's on TV a lot.  Heck he even does beer (well, Corona) commercials. 

And he'll be taking advantage of the Raiders yet again.  Again, outside of that brief shining moment, his winning percentage as a coach is underwhelming.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why had no other team thought of this before?  And what is so hard to understand about the marketing aspect of hiring Jon Gruden for a team moving to a place like Las Vegas?  The dude's on TV a lot.  Heck he even does beer (well, Corona) commercials. 

And he'll be taking advantage of the Raiders yet again.  Again, outside of that brief shining moment, his winning percentage as a coach is underwhelming.

You were clearly referring to the offer as possibly a marketing ploy, doc.  Go back and read that paragraph you wrote.  You are a moving target.

Dungy's playoff record is awful, but someone would have hired him after he retired if he wanted to come back.  He squandered more talent-years than any coach in NFL history.  He's in the HOF.  Marv's record at KC was horrible, yet the Bills hired him and he was a .560 career record HC when he went into the HOF.  Rex's record was horrible.  Jeff Fischer's record?  Same names come up all the time, no matter how bad they did in the past.  Jim Schwartz has a bad win loss record, yet even HIS name pops up (here!!) every year.

What Gruden's win loss record years ago obviously has no meaning to teams that would be considering his as their new HC now--this should be clear based on the examples I gave above.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You were clearly referring to the offer as possibly a marketing ploy, doc.  Go back and read that paragraph you wrote.  You are a moving target.

Dungy's playoff record is awful, but someone would have hired him after he retired if he wanted to come back.  He squandered more talent-years than any coach in NFL history.  He's in the HOF.  Marv's record at KC was horrible, yet the Bills hired him and he was a .560 career record HC when he went into the HOF.  Rex's record was horrible.  Jeff Fischer's record?  Same names come up all the time, no matter how bad they did in the past.  Jim Schwartz has a bad win loss record, yet even HIS name pops up (here!!) every year.

What Gruden's win loss record years ago obviously has no meaning to teams that would be considering his as their new HC now--this should be clear based on the examples I gave above.

Uh, yes, I suggested it could be a marketing ploy if it's not desperation.  Because the guy is a big personality.  Not a hard concept to grasp.  They're trying to sell tix and get people to watch on TV, in Vegas, where there are a million other things to do.  So they trot out Chuckie and say (in monster truck-voice over guy voice) "hey, he won a SB over 15 years ago, he makes weird faces, he comments on SNF, he even does Corona commercials, and he's going to be the head coach of the new Las Vegas Loan Sharks!"

And I'm not sure what your list of coaches is supposed to imply?  Were you trying to say that hiring a retread coach (like, say, Gruden) is a bad idea?  Obviously teams hire and re-hire coaches.  Nothing earth-shattering there.  None give partial ownership though.  Which has been my point all along.  Whether he succeeds though, remains to be seen. 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Huh?  Many people had that same "illusion" after last season.  What are you talking about?

Yeah, Gruden had a SB winning season with "Johnson and Johnson" at QB, a FB as his best RB, Keyshawn Johnson as the only receiver over 500 yards.  Great defense, no offense.

Now he would be inheriting a team with far better offensive skill players (just need better coaching) and a mediocre Defense with some skill players.

I’m taking about Derek Carr having a very mediocre season that showed many of his flaws. Yes, I was one of those who were fooled into believing that Carr might be a franchise QB last season. I’m not convinced that he is after what I’ve seen this year. I simply believe that Gruden has more faith in the Raiders future than I. You also seem to have faith in Carr and the Raiders offense. I have very little faith in either, and as a result I think that Gruden could struggle. Keep in mind,  he’s been out of the game for a long time as well. The game has evolved a lot since Gruden was a head coach. Additionally, calling the Raiders defense mediocre is being kind. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

On 1/3/2018 at 6:30 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gruden is so overrated but he inherits a really talented team. 

I agree that he is overrated. My concern is that the Raiders talent is also overrated by many. If this combination proves to be true, Gruden will struggle. The Raiders will only go as far as Carr takes them. The jury is still out on Carr as a franchise QB. They have a nice reciever corps, along with a talented offensive line. They need to find an answer at the running back position, and have tons of holes on defense. Khalil Mack leads a nice linebacker group, but the secondary is putrid. The secondary needs a complete overhaul, and the defensive line could be improved as well. I see a team with a lot of holes. 

56 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I agree that he is overrated. My concern is that the Raiders talent is also overrated by many. If this combination proves to be true, Gruden will struggle. The Raiders will only go as far as Carr takes them. The jury is still out on Carr as a franchise QB. They have a nice reciever corps, along with a talented offensive line. They need to find an answer at the running back position, and have tons of holes on defense. Khalil Mack leads a nice linebacker group, but the secondary is putrid. The secondary needs a complete overhaul, and the defensive line could be improved as well. I see a team with a lot of holes. 

They’re going to dump Crabtree after the season so theit wide receiver corps takes a big hit because they’ll have just Cooper and Cook.  They also don’t have a good running back.

14 hours ago, Doc said:

Uh, yes, I suggested it could be a marketing ploy if it's not desperation.  Because the guy is a big personality.  Not a hard concept to grasp.  They're trying to sell tix and get people to watch on TV, in Vegas, where there are a million other things to do.  So they trot out Chuckie and say (in monster truck-voice over guy voice) "hey, he won a SB over 15 years ago, he makes weird faces, he comments on SNF, he even does Corona commercials, and he's going to be the head coach of the new Las Vegas Loan Sharks!"

And I'm not sure what your list of coaches is supposed to imply?  Were you trying to say that hiring a retread coach (like, say, Gruden) is a bad idea?  Obviously teams hire and re-hire coaches.  Nothing earth-shattering there.  None give partial ownership though.  Which has been my point all along.  Whether he succeeds though, remains to be seen. 

It's pretty explicit:  your contention that Gruden isn't an attractive HC candidate because of his win % is false. 

Your claim that he is only attractive to the Raiders as a marketing ploy because he makes faces and does commercials--NOT because they think he can coach--is also false.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

They’re going to dump Crabtree after the season so theit wide receiver corps takes a big hit because they’ll have just Cooper and Cook.  They also don’t have a good running back.

I'm sure Gruden (and Gannon) will be very excited to be working with Carr and Cooper and Cooks---as would more than a few current NFL coaches no doubt.  Don't you agree? 

Saw something interesting yesterday - as long as he is unsigned, he can talk to playoff team coaches without it being considered tampering.  I thought they would delay the announcement longer for that reason.

This paves the way for Peyton Manning on MNF.  

The good news for Raiders fans is Gruden won't be terrible.  The bad news is that Jack Del Rio can get you the same exact results without the "personality" that will start wearing on you around Season 3 of that Supreme Court appointment contract.