Josh Allen a Raw Jim Kelly?

Lenigmusx

37 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s trash. He’s got great size, a really good arm and is a good athlete. That’s pretty much it. He looks great on paper but his accuracy is horrendous and his decision making is poor. It’s a hard no from me. He’s EJ Manuel without the talent around him.

Really?  I hope he decides to play in the senior bowl.  I really want him to be Buffalo’s Ben Roethlisberger for some reason...

44 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s trash. He’s got great size, a really good arm and is a good athlete. That’s pretty much it. He looks great on paper but his accuracy is horrendous and his decision making is poor. It’s a hard no from me. He’s EJ Manuel without the talent around him.

I tend to agree. First read QB that leaves pocket too much. He is a major project. 

56 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Wouldn’t go as far as to say he’s trash...but everything else you said is pretty spot on 

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, hemma said:

Mayfield has committed to play in the Senior Bowl.

I like it.  Shows he's not afraid to jump right in the ring and show what he's got.  

Smart decision. Gives him a chance to get ahead in the interview process which is weighed very heavily. Good move by his agent. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t know....I’ve seen very little of Allen this year.  He looks really good to me right now.  What an arm!!

He has the arm strength, accuracy, and has played in a pro system in college. He looks like Big Ben when he is on. He has played bad against top competition but I think it is a product of the talent around him, then frustration later in the game that leads to ints. When I watch he has no one to throw to. 

4 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I like Rudolph a bit more than most as well. I was watching someone on YouTube analyze their game with Oklahoma, and Mayfield is making throws and there’s no one near him. Rudolph is throwing to guys and they are covered. He makes the hard throws look easy, the sideline passes, the deep balls, and I think as he gains experience in an nfl system he has enough touch on the ball to make those simple dump off type throws in the 5-10 yd range as well

I would much prefer Allen over Rudolph. In my opinion Allen has much better accuracy and Allen plays in a pro-style offence. Rudolph really struggles to move in the pocket and has trouble when his guys are not wide open. I think there are 5 1st round Qbs: Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, Rosen, Allen (in that order).

He is not Jim Kelly but Josh Allen is great. 

Wyoming has consistently been one of the bottom feeders of Div 1 football. All the sudden, last year they exploded from last place in the Mountain West to first, unseating perennial powerhouse Boise State...The reason was Craig Bohl starting to right the program, but mostly Josh Allen.

This season, Allen struggled after losing 5 offensive starters to the NFL. He probably was the only player who would play on Iowa or Oregon if you transposed Wyoming’s players to those teams’ rosters. Yet, he still won 8 games this year and Wyoming went 0-2 when he was out with an injury including a loss to maybe the worst D1 team this year, San Jose State.

People are worried about his stats because they don’t look great. However, Bohl runs a pro style system with a lot of down field, difficult throws. These aren’t stat inflating bubble screens he is attempting like Osweiler used to throw at ASU and it also doesn’t help when your playmakers drop passes.

Allen isn’t totally blameless in this season. He does throw bad balls and interceptions, he is not always great feeling pressure, sometimes he looks overmatched. 

But here are the positives:

1. The best, strongest arm I have ever seen.

2. Takes snaps from center and plays in a pro-style system that produced Carson Wentz.

3. Fiery and competitive - not Baker Mayfield but more like a tempered Phillip Rivers

4. Very used to playing in cold weather

5. Great throwing on the run with bootlegs just like the system Dennison likes to run.

To wrap up, I like Darnold better. However, Allen would be a great choice for Buffalo - even early in the first round. He can be a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 5

If the Bills were to draft Josh Allen, I don't think they would plan at all to start him until at least 2019.  I think the free agency period will tell us if he remains a possibility.  If the Bills sign a veteran who looks like a starter, he probably will be.  If it is for 2 year or longer contract, I don't think Allen will be drafted.  If Buffalo drafts a bandaid veteran ( a guy like Josh McCown, I could see them drafting Josh Allen, then letting Peterman and that veteran compete to start in 2018.  They probably wouldn't do it in the first round, however.  I just don't think Beane is looking for projects that early.

58 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Wyoming has consistently been one of the bottom feeders of Div 1 football. All the sudden, last year they exploded from last place in the Mountain West to first, unseating perennial powerhouse Boise State...The reason was Craig Bohl starting to right the program, but mostly Josh Allen.

This season, Allen struggled after losing 5 offensive starters to the NFL. He probably was the only player who would play on Iowa or Oregon if you transposed Wyoming’s players to those teams’ rosters. Yet, he still won 8 games this year and Wyoming went 0-2 when he was out with an injury including a loss to maybe the worst D1 team this year, San Jose State.

People are worried about his stats because they don’t look great. However, Bohl runs a pro style system with a lot of down field, difficult throws. These aren’t stat inflating bubble screens he is attempting like Osweiler used to throw at ASU and it also doesn’t help when your playmakers drop passes.

Allen isn’t totally blameless in this season. He does throw bad balls and interceptions, he is not always great feeling pressure, sometimes he looks overmatched. 

2. Takes snaps from center and plays in a pro-style system that produced Carson Wentz.

3. Fiery and competitive - not Baker Mayfield but more like a tempered Phillip Rivers

5. Great throwing on the run with bootlegs just like the system Dennison likes to run.

To wrap up, I like Darnold better. However, Allen would be a great choice for Buffalo - even early in the first round. He can be a franchise QB.

I agree with everything said here.  Nice analysis.

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

great post

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If Trubisky can go in the top 3, Allen certainly can too.  Not sure I'd trade up for him, but I'd take a chance on him with one of our firsts.  I'd trade both firsts for Rosen or Darnold.  

You'd need a lot more than that to get either of those two.  We are trading up from the twenties remember.

Allen has so much potential. With the right coaching, I think he could be great. HIs arm strength is in a different class from anyone else in the draft. He is just very raw and needs developmental time before he sees the field. Whatever team drafts him needs the right coach to develop him. I just wonder if that coach is on the Bills. 

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

After those 3 first quarter Tds it was it.  He could have pulled a Deon Sanders at the combine and just took off the rest of of tje game.  Those 3 passes are all they need to see to go top 10 probably top 5.

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

If the Bills were to draft Josh Allen, I don't think they would plan at all to start him until at least 2019.  I think the free agency period will tell us if he remains a possibility.  If the Bills sign a veteran who looks like a starter, he probably will be.  If it is for 2 year or longer contract, I don't think Allen will be drafted.  If Buffalo drafts a bandaid veteran ( a guy like Josh McCown, I could see them drafting Josh Allen, then letting Peterman and that veteran compete to start in 2018.  They probably wouldn't do it in the first round, however.  I just don't think Beane is looking for projects that early.

Josh Allen beats out peterman tomorrow and after 2 preseason games creates a groundswell of support to beat out any fringe starter/ backup.  Only option would be to have Taylor and Allen battle it out.  Tie goes to the rookie.  I put Allen's potential the highest of any qb.  Seems like the perfect northern qb.  Not a fan of bringing a southern california kid to Buffalo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.