A open letter to Coach McDermott

Foreigner

If we miss the playoffs, that Charger game is going to haunt him if we ultimately don't get into the playoffs in the next year or two.  Honestly, people are GROSSLY over exaggerating the quality of the Chargers.  There is no doubt we could have won that game had TT started.  Doesn't mean we would have, but this team was fully capable of beating the Chargers.  

Chargers were on a 2 game losing streak when we played them.  And the three wins before those 2 games in a row they lost, were NARROW wins against 3 below average teams to bad teams in Giants, Raiders, and Broncos.  In fact the 2 best teams they have beaten all year are the Bills and Cowboys, and the weak they beat the Cowboys was in the middle of the Cowboys big skid.  

The Chargers are not a terrible team, but they are not a good team either and in fact we are a better team.  Had we started TT, not only could we have won, but I think we WOULD have won.  

McD made 2 HUGE mistakes that week.  First, he SHOULD have started TT and then pulled him at half time if he was struggling and we were losing the game.  Second, after he elected to just start NP, he SHOULD have pulled him after the 3rd interception.  His first one wasn't his fault, but the other 2 showed he was 100% not ready to handle defensive pressure and throwing like a panicked rookie.  At that point, the game was still winnable and close enough, he SHOULD have made the switch to TT there to try and win a CRITICAL game for our playoff hopes.  

Had he done either of the 2 things above, he wouldn't have this black mark.  But his premature start of NP while we were the 6th seed in the playoffs in a key game for those playoff hopes was a huge mistake and he compounded it substantially by sticking too long with NP until game was out of reach before putting TT in at half time.  

There is NO justifying his decisions.  He has to own them...if we make the playoffs this year, all will be forgotten.  If we don't and that loss is the reason, then he will have to come up very big next year before people start calling for his head, especially with how poorly they manage the clock.

I still very much like McD, but just because I like him doesn't make him free of criticism when he makes mistakes.

It sure does. If it is not clear to you it means Marone has had no trouble handling Dareus and McVey has

no trouble handling Watkins.

Lawrence Taylor was a pain in the neck along with being a alleged doper and alcoholic, but Bill Parcells

and the Giants handled it (took it) because of his talent, and they won a SB.

Life is all political. You have a  fight with your wife or girl  friend,and you can either extend the fight and

maybe hurt or end your relationship, or you can take some crap to smooth things over and make your

relationship cool again, even though you know you were right.

McDermott either couldn't or wouldn't handle Dareus or Watkins. He won the battle, but lost the war,

because what did we get for both guys; we certainly did not get a better football team.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Give me a break dude.

You have a hard on for my posts and then add little to the conversation. Watkins was a statistic guy. Just like MOST NFL WRs. They want the ball. They want their numbers. Doesn't make them a "cancer". And it certainly wasn't the reason the team was losing.

See above.

Yes. Stupid. 

LOL....Okay Scott.

You knew the environment with the Bills locker room.

Watkins is wrong, his relationships with his teammates weren’t affected.  He just made it up.

2 hours ago, teef said:

you know scott doesn't want to hear it.  it takes away from his angry time.  this team could win the superbowl, and scott would complain that they could have won by more points if watkins and dareus were still on the team.   and just because i know he'll go there because he doesn't have an argument....no, i don't think the bills are going to the superbowl.

edit: that move by shady is pretty outstanding.

There was an actual quote by Watkins saying the relationship was affected by his selfish behaviors but Scott still will deny it.

The next thing Scott will tell you is Kevin Bacon wasn’t in Foot Loose.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

"At the time, he even got his agent involved in his demand to see the ball head his way more often. That apparently didn’t sit well with his teammates in Buffalo. LeSean McCoy trolled him during a team meeting by handing him a manila envelope with 10 red targets inside, a player told Dunne, adding, “Sammy couldn’t have taken it any worse. He was so butt hurt.”

hahaha I'm loving Shady more and more every day.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If we miss the playoffs, that Charger game is going to haunt him if we ultimately don't get into the playoffs in the next year or two.  Honestly, people are GROSSLY over exaggerating the quality of the Chargers.  There is no doubt we could have won that game had TT started.  Doesn't mean we would have, but this team was fully capable of beating the Chargers.  

Chargers were on a 2 game losing streak when we played them.  And the three wins before those 2 games in a row they lost, were NARROW wins against 3 below average teams to bad teams in Giants, Raiders, and Broncos.  In fact the 2 best teams they have beaten all year are the Bills and Cowboys, and the weak they beat the Cowboys was in the middle of the Cowboys big skid.  

The Chargers are not a terrible team, but they are not a good team either and in fact we are a better team.  Had we started TT, not only could we have won, but I think we WOULD have won.  

McD made 2 HUGE mistakes that week.  First, he SHOULD have started TT and then pulled him at half time if he was struggling and we were losing the game.  Second, after he elected to just start NP, he SHOULD have pulled him after the 3rd interception.  His first one wasn't his fault, but the other 2 showed he was 100% not ready to handle defensive pressure and throwing like a panicked rookie.  At that point, the game was still winnable and close enough, he SHOULD have made the switch to TT there to try and win a CRITICAL game for our playoff hopes.  

Had he done either of the 2 things above, he wouldn't have this black mark.  But his premature start of NP while we were the 6th seed in the playoffs in a key game for those playoff hopes was a huge mistake and he compounded it substantially by sticking too long with NP until game was out of reach before putting TT in at half time.  

There is NO justifying his decisions.  He has to own them...if we make the playoffs this year, all will be forgotten.  If we don't and that loss is the reason, then he will have to come up very big next year before people start calling for his head, especially with how poorly they manage the clock.

I still very much like McD, but just because I like him doesn't make him free of criticism when he makes mistakes.

With or without Taylor the Chargers were going to beat us. They steamrolled the Bills on both sides of the ball. It happens. Every game has it own vibes. The Dolphins trashed the Patriots while the Bills got trashed by the Pats and then the Bills beat the Phins. In the Charger game they thoroughly throttled the Bills on both sides of the ball. They were so overwhelming that they laughed their way through the game. 

What you and the revisionists fail to point out is why Taylor was replaced by the coaches. He struggled in a string of games where he couldn't run the offense. So the coaching staff responded with the change. It didn't work out. But it didn't matter because the running qb with seven years of experience who can't go through his progressions and make anticipatory and accurate throws was not going to make a difference in this game. 

You can "what if" yourself until you are exhausted. The season is playing out with the normal ups and downs. The qb you are fawning over will not be back next year for the simple reason that he is not good enough. The Bills are an overachieving team that lacks talent in plenty of areas. Their record is beyond what any fair-minded person should have expected when the season started. You can continue your pointless crusade on your hypothetical scenario. The problem is that the reality doesn't mesh with your fantasy. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Foreigner said:

So I am sitting at home yesterday eating dinner watching Football Night in America on NBC, a show that shows highlights

of Sundays games, that is followed by a coach or player saying a few words. The Bills came on, and then Coach McDermott

said a few words. I was expecting something about praising Sean McCoy for going over 10,000 career rushing yards or

perhaps TT mentioned, as the two of them combined for almost all the points in the win over Miami. Or at least a shout out

to the O or D in the victory. Instead I lost half my food as I heard the magic words "Trust the Process". 

Coach, Coach, the process is here. It is right in front of you Christmas Eve  and New Years Eve, becoming the name in the Buffalo

Bills history book as the Coach to lead us to the playoffs for the first time in 18 years. It doesn't matter weather it is

10-6 or 9-7' you are forever a hero. Or will your name go down in the books as Sean "Nathan" McDermott. I know, I know,

many are going to say we would have not won the Chargers game with TT at QB the whole game. That is possible, but the

game planning for that game with a rookie not ready for prime time playbook, certainly would have been different with TT.

Irregardless, with four INTS in over 13 games it would have been a different outcome. Coach we don't need to trust the

process, we need to win the game in Foxboro, a game that almost nobody thinks we can win. Maybe, we can't, but part of

the problem in winning in the NFL is how do we stop the other guys. We already know how to do that next Sunday, the

same way the Fish put it to the Pats Monday night, and that is to take Gronk out of the game, and not let a 40 year old QB

with no legs and a tired arm beat you. You are a D guru, so figure out how to stop Gronk who will be playing, and maybe we

get the job done. Coach, you and your staff have overachieved this  year. Just get us to the dance and stop worrying about a

mysterious process whatever you think that may be. To all of us, the process is just winning.  

Schopp is that you?

He talked this same crappy line at 3pm.

BTW it would have been easier to win at the Panthers or Bengals they were within reach.

7 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I am guessing that MANY words start off as slang and then they become part of standard English. For example, "I will 'text' you later." Text started off as a much different word than "I will send you some digital information via my phone." I could go on and on but I won't.

Finally, making a point by calling out someone's fine understanding of the english language (whether it be spelling, grammar, or use of non-standard english words) just ironically weakens one's eventual counter point.

Your example has nothing to do with this topic.  "Texting" is the verb form of the medium.  It's not an inappropriate form of another word it is being used in place of.

Your second paragraph makes no sense at all, so I can't otherwise respond.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

With or without Taylor the Chargers were going to beat us. They steamrolled the Bills on both sides of the ball. It happens. Every game has it own vibes. The Dolphins trashed the Patriots while the Bills got trashed by the Pats and then the Bills beat the Phins. In the Charger game they thoroughly throttled the Bills on both sides of the ball. They were so overwhelming that they laughed their way through the game. 

What you and the revisionists fail to point out is why Taylor was replaced by the coaches. He struggled in a string of games where he couldn't run the offense. So the coaching staff responded with the change. It didn't work out. But it didn't matter because the running qb with seven years of experience who can't go through his progressions and make anticipatory and accurate throws was not going to make a difference in this game. 

You can "what if" yourself until you are exhausted. The season is playing out with the normal ups and downs. The qb you are fawning over will not be back next year for the simple reason that he is not good enough. The Bills are an overachieving team that lacks talent in plenty of areas. Their record is beyond what any fair-minded person should have expected when the season started. You can continue your pointless crusade on your hypothetical scenario. The problem is that the reality doesn't mesh with your fantasy. 

This is a clear and concise post about what happened and what is going to happen to our QB situation. McD& Beane are well aware of our QB situation and all the calls for TT and the denigrating of NP are not reality. The process must be served if we are going to have a winning football team . So far it is working. We have twice the wins that we were expected to get and it is without  the players that were not part or didn't want to be part of the PROCESS.

A Reaction to the OP

Alright...
It's hard getting through to you,
You’re truly obtrusive.
You’ve got your own point of view;
You are the one of a kind.
And I tell you 'lil poster,
I'm fascinated by you.
There's something about you
That makes all the indifference.
Like the dull is to gray.
Well we can get along without you,
But we know that within you;
You've got something missing,
And you’ll find a way.
To get reaction to overreaction.

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There was an actual quote by Watkins saying the relationship was affected by his selfish behaviors but Scott still will deny it.

The next thing Scott will tell you is Kevin Bacon wasn’t in Foot Loose.

scott is just a guy who likes to complain.  for the love of god, do you remember how he made us listen to his complaining about losing mike gillislee?  he went on and on and on about it.  why?  because scott.  that's why.  

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You think it's any different from Antonio Bryant with the Steelers or Odell with the Giants? 

How many times have you seen the Seahawks players get on each other in between drives? 

You are extremely naive if you think this team is BETTER without Watkins AND Dareus still here. 

The whole "he's a cancer" schtick is BS that many Bills fans buy hook line and sinker. Those CANCERS are on SUPERBOWL CONTENDERS THAT HAD ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES TRADING FOR the so called cancers. Explain that.

The Bills sucked the last couple years with Watkins and Dareus MAINLY because of Rex Ryan and his complete laziness and dog **** coaching. The guy was AWFUL and the team followed suit. Case in point is THIS SEASON, with less talent the team is 8-6. 

Yeah I do think it's different.  Let me know when Odell or Antonio Bryant has their agent contact their teams to demand more targets.  Let me know when Antonio or Odell admit openly they got upset after wins because they didn't get the ball enough.  I know Bryant and Haley got into about targets in a loss once a few years ago.  I absolutely think its much different complaining about targets after wins.  

Also, I wouldn't use OBJ as an example.  

http://giantswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/15/new-york-giants-adam-henry-odell-beckham-jr-never-complained-targets/

Not true, says wide receivers coach Adam Henry, who told reporters on Friday that Beckham Jr. has never once complained about his number of targets or demanded more of them.

"HAD ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES TRADING FOR....explain that".  You know what Scott, I can't explain that.

I mean TO was so bad in the locker room in San Fran that no one wanted him after that.  He never played football after San Fran right?

I mean Brandon Marshall was so bad in the locker room in Denver that no one wanted him after that.  He never played football after Denver right?

Andre Rison was son bad in the locker room in Atlanta that no one wanted him after that.  He never played football after that Atlanta right?

Randy Moss never played after Minnesota?

You're right Scott....new teams don't want other "cancer" receivers.

You know what the difference between Sammy and the above?  The above WR produced heavily in their careers.  Watkins....not so much.  He's on pace for what?  40 catches/650 this year?

Remember what McCoy said about Kapernick?  Not good enough for the distractions.   Sammy hasn't produced enough in his career yet to be a distraction you want to keep.  

Even Kyle Williams publicly stated that trading Dareus was best for both sides.  Go ahead, tell me Kyle Williams is wrong....you know you want to.

Oh so the Bills are 8-6 this year with less talent....does that mean McDermott has done a good job coaching this year?  Can you admit that?

Scott...if you're going to be a whiner, please at least be an informed one.

10 minutes ago, teef said:

scott is just a guy who likes to complain.  for the love of god, do you remember how he made us listen to his complaining about losing mike gillislee?  he went on and on and on about it.  why?  because scott.  that's why.  

Oh yeah I remember that.  It wouldn't stop.

Scott generally repeats himself a lot but haven't heard any complaints about Gillisee for a while.  Do you think it's because he's been a healthy scratch since October?

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Man you love me.

But Mike Tolbert has been such a joy to watch.

So has Mike Gilissee who for some reason hasn't played since late October.  Scott...is he hurt?  Is that why he was averaging 3.6 ypc?  I mean Mike Tolbert is averaging 3.8 ypc and he sucks right?

On 12/18/2017 at 8:39 AM, hondo in seattle said:

Winners do things differently than losers.  

In NE, they call it the "Patriot Way."  Bill Walsh used to call it "Standards of Performance."  McD calls his twist on this the "Process."  

It's all about striving for excellence, not settling, holding people accountable, high levels of commitment & teamwork, and so on.  

I can't say McD will be a great coach.  But this roster is probably over-achieving at 8-6  and it's only his first year.  

Trust the process!

I would be thrilled if, within a few years, the term "Patriot Way" is forgotten and never again uttered, and "Buffalo Process" is the shining standard quoted throughout the league.

i'm reminded of the scene from Goodfellas right after Tommy is outsourced to the afterlife. 

A voice on the phone says..."He's gone, nothing anyone could do about it....". 

Why perpetually rehash the guys that have moved on? What's the point?  

Speculation that Tyrod was the missing chess piece that results in a w against the chargers is certainly fair, but ignoring the performance that lead up to the change is not. As for McDermott "owning" that move, geesh, good or bad he seems like a guy who owns everything about his role and wants to. As for his process commentary...McDonalds became a success in large part because of the process followed with the humble french fry ( not due to the Royale with Cheese as SOME people seem to think).  One telling aspect for me is the reaction of a guy Shady seemingly all in. There is a guy willing to speak his mind, right wrong or other. 

2 more games. Lets hope Tyrod can have a complete game, Brady struggles and Gronk, well screw him. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Man you love me.

But Mike Tolbert has been such a joy to watch.

the board wouldn't be the same without you.  how did i know that you'd deflect your whining about mike by bringing up tolbert?  at the end of the day, isn't it just easier to admit that the constant complaining about a backup rb just wasn't worth it.  especially since the guy doesn't even suit up on game day?