A open letter to Coach McDermott

Foreigner

On 12/18/2017 at 4:12 PM, JohnC said:

With or without Taylor the Chargers were going to beat us. They steamrolled the Bills on both sides of the ball. It happens. Every game has it own vibes. The Dolphins trashed the Patriots while the Bills got trashed by the Pats and then the Bills beat the Phins. In the Charger game they thoroughly throttled the Bills on both sides of the ball. They were so overwhelming that they laughed their way through the game. 

What you and the revisionists fail to point out is why Taylor was replaced by the coaches. He struggled in a string of games where he couldn't run the offense. So the coaching staff responded with the change. It didn't work out. But it didn't matter because the running qb with seven years of experience who can't go through his progressions and make anticipatory and accurate throws was not going to make a difference in this game. 

You can "what if" yourself until you are exhausted. The season is playing out with the normal ups and downs. The qb you are fawning over will not be back next year for the simple reason that he is not good enough. The Bills are an overachieving team that lacks talent in plenty of areas. Their record is beyond what any fair-minded person should have expected when the season started. You can continue your pointless crusade on your hypothetical scenario. The problem is that the reality doesn't mesh with your fantasy. 

The problem with your response is it has zero reality in it.  The reality is that when you change a variable its NOT the same vibe, same game, same play, same flow...in fact, removing one variable creates an entirely different parallel and they is zero similarity.  

More importantly, removing something as controversial and significant as benching your starter days before a huge game while you were clinging to the 6th playoff spot for a 5th round rookie QB who completed just 50% of his passes in preseason carries a lot of mental and psychological impact across the team, especially on the vets.  Not to mention, taking away the 5 interceptions in the first half alone changes the entire course of the game.

So I am sorry, but not only is Buffalo the better team with TT at QB than the Chargers, but we could have definitely won that game with TT.  No guarantee, but SD was coming off a 2 game losing streak, and the previous 3 wins were against below average to bad teams and they BARELY beat those teams.  

The ONLY reason we got beat the way we did was 100% because of NP and 5 first half turnovers...NOTHING else about the game mattered, he was throwing INTs early in drives where they had a short field to score, not to mention our D couldn't even get a break because as soon as we got the ball back we gave it away.  NOTHING deflates a team more than turnovers, especially when you bench a guy who DOES NOT turn the ball over for an unproven kid not ready who throws more INTs in a half than TT threw the rest of the season.

If we miss the playoffs because and that game would have been the difference, then it will haunt McD and tenure here until he eventually makes the playoffs, if ever.

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The main thing is that guys have a choice where they play. Recruiting is important and shouldn’t be underestimated. McDermott is a young coach and will hopefully grow from it as he gets more confident in his role. He’s done a pretty good job IMO with a roster that doesn’t have a ton of talent.

With that being said his personality and perception of him from other players will be a factor when it comes to free agency. It won’t be the only factor but it will be one. They did well last year but again that was without a frame of reference. We will see this year and into the future if it continues. As of now though he does not have a lot of friends in that building.

That's disappointing news. Does it really rise to the level of hatred or are they just really upset with him over that decision? Is this something where vets are going to refuse to re-sign?

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

That's disappointing news. Does it really rise to the level of hatred or are they just really upset with him over that decision? Is this something where vets are going to refuse to re-sign?

From what I’m told it’s bad. I think that it’s beyond that decision. I don’t know if it will ultimately impact signings or re-signings. There are a lot of factors there (money, family, scheme, opportunity, etc..). It can certainly get better and hopefully it will. McDermott has done a pretty good job with a roster that isn’t that talented IMO. I didn’t expect this team to be .500 (or better). He deserves a lot of credit for it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The problem with your response is it has zero reality in it.  The reality is that when you change a variable its NOT the same vibe, same game, same play, same flow...in fact, removing one variable creates an entirely different parallel and they is zero similarity.  

More importantly, removing something as controversial and significant as benching your starter days before a huge game while you were clinging to the 6th playoff spot for a 5th round rookie QB who completed just 50% of his passes in preseason carries a lot of mental and psychological impact across the team, especially on the vets.  Not to mention, taking away the 5 interceptions in the first half alone changes the entire course of the game.

So I am sorry, but not only is Buffalo the better team with TT at QB than the Chargers, but we could have definitely won that game with TT.  No guarantee, but SD was coming off a 2 game losing streak, and the previous 3 wins were against below average to bad teams and they BARELY beat those teams.  

The ONLY reason we got beat the way we did was 100% because of NP and 5 first half turnovers...NOTHING else about the game mattered, he was throwing INTs early in drives where they had a short field to score, not to mention our D couldn't even get a break because as soon as we got the ball back we gave it away.  NOTHING deflates a team more than turnovers, especially when you bench a guy who DOES NOT turn the ball over for an unproven kid not ready who throws more INTs in a half than TT threw the rest of the season.

If we miss the playoffs because and that game would have been the difference, then it will haunt McD and tenure here until he eventually makes the playoffs, if ever.

TT would have lost that game as well. They have our old coach who knows this team better then the current staff. Especially TT.

Also TT got benched for two bad games in a row. I do not blame McD for benching TT at all, there is plenty of other games this team fell flat on and TT has been not good enough all season, TT should have never been brought back.

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

TT would have lost that game as well. They have our old coach who knows this team better then the current staff. Especially TT.

Also TT got benched for two bad games in a row. I do not blame McD for benching TT at all, there is plenty of other games this team fell flat on and TT has been not good enough all season, TT should have never been brought back.

Small correction, one bad game in a row. His bad games were Saints and Bengals. He played well in that Jets game.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Small correction, one bad game in a row. His bad games were Saints and Bengals. He played well in that Jets game.

Sure he did.

Remember this phrase "NOT GOOD ENOUGH"

Edited by xRUSHx

Just now, xRUSHx said:

What a short memory people have...TT did NOT have 2 bad games in a row...he had one.  The rest of the Bills played awful against the Jets, but TT was not one of them.  In fact, the Jets game was one of TT's better games as a Bill.  This is the issue around here, the OL and DL got manhandles and destroyed about as bad as I have ever seen, yet TT has a strong game and people like you are still calling it one of his worst when the Jets loss had ZERO to do with TT and 100% to do with a pathetic showing in the trenches.

Benching TT in SD was a colossal mistake...period.  And it very well may be why we miss the playoffs.  I live in LA, and see most the Charger games, they are NOT very good.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

From what I’m told it’s bad. I think that it’s beyond that decision. I don’t know if it will ultimately impact signings or re-signings. There are a lot of factors there (money, family, scheme, opportunity, etc..). It can certainly get better and hopefully it will. McDermott has done a pretty good job with a roster that isn’t that talented IMO. I didn’t expect this team to be .500 (or better). He deserves a lot of credit for it. 

Thanks Kirby. I wonder if it's a personality thing or they think they can't trust him.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

What a short memory people have...TT did NOT have 2 bad games in a row...he had one.  The rest of the Bills played awful against the Jets, but TT was not one of them.  In fact, the Jets game was one of TT's better games as a Bill.  This is the issue around here, the OL and DL got manhandles and destroyed about as bad as I have ever seen, yet TT has a strong game and people like you are still calling it one of his worst when the Jets loss had ZERO to do with TT and 100% to do with a pathetic showing in the trenches.

Benching TT in SD was a colossal mistake...period.  And it very well may be why we miss the playoffs.  I live in LA, and see most the Charger games, they are NOT very good.  

The COT running strong, everyone else at fault buy not the not good enough QB Tyrod.

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

TT would have lost that game as well.

I don't know if you can say this for certain.  At the very least, he wouldn't have thrown 5 picks and the game would have been more competitive.

It is still interesting that after the Saints loss, McDermott insisted that Tyrod is still the starter, then on Wednesday did a complete 180.  Possible that Dennison lobbied for the change?  If so, I wonder what the offensive players think about Dennison.

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The main thing is that guys have a choice where they play. Recruiting is important and shouldn’t be underestimated. McDermott is a young coach and will hopefully grow from it as he gets more confident in his role. He’s done a pretty good job IMO with a roster that doesn’t have a ton of talent.

With that being said his personality and perception of him from other players will be a factor when it comes to free agency. It won’t be the only factor but it will be one. They did well last year but again that was without a frame of reference. We will see this year and into the future if it continues. As of now though he does not have a lot of friends in that building.

It's a locker room full of lesser talented guys right now and the team has overachieved.  Most of the players in that locker room are guys that are either bridge players until they are replaced or guys who he inherited from the last regime.  Why wouldn't they feel sketched out about him as they think their jobs aren't safe?  However, the guys that he's handpicked like Poyer, Hyde, Johnson...those guys most likely don't feel that way because they were handpicked by him for the future and they have produced nicely.  

I don't think that any hatred will continue as he replaces the old regime's players.  He tried to replace Tyrod...who's from the old regime.  Once he gets the majority of his players that aren't bridge players but long term options at those positions, everything will be fine.  Right now, he has a mixed locker room.  Look at how Tom Coughlin was hated by some of the players and yet a few years later...super bowls.  I'm not reading too much into this story at all even if it is completely true which I think it probably is.  

It was a big transition year and most players will get the boot and they've seen a lot of their teammates shown the door.  Why wouldn't they be miffed?  However, the new guys who are McD guys...I don't think they feel this way.  Another year of repaving this roster and I think this will be a non-story.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He did, he was the best Bills player in that game. No one even argued that. He was 29-40 for 285 and 2 TDs and had another 35 yards and a TD on the ground. If you watched that game and came out thinking he was the problem I don’t know what to tell you.

Haha, 

So was the game not over by the end of the 3rd? Tyrod showed in the 4th to pad up the stats and make the game close

End of third quarter: Jets 24, Bills 7

Tyrod stats lie.

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't know if you can say this for certain.  At the very least, he wouldn't have thrown 5 picks and the game would have been more competitive.

It is still interesting that after the Saints loss, McDermott insisted that Tyrod is still the starter, then on Wednesday did a complete 180.  Possible that Dennison lobbied for the change?  If so, I wonder what the offensive players think about Dennison.

I think he was worried about another NO game for Tyrod since Lynn knows Tyrod better then the Aints

Edited by xRUSHx

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

That's a problem then, wow. You can get over personality, it's hard to earn back trust once it's been lost. 

I’m hoping that he grows from it. As the roster turns over he will have an opportunity to gain trust back with a relatively clean slate.  

Winning helps too, if this team gets to the playoffs some people will come around to him. There is time and it happens with young coaches. It’s not good now but hopefully it will improve.

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Haha, 

So was the game not over by the end of the 3rd? Tyrod showed in the 4th to pad up the stats and make the game close

End of third quarter: Jets 24, Bills 7

I think he was worried about another NO game for Tyrod since Lynn knows Tyrod better then the Aints

Yeah, the defense gave up a 52 yard FG drive 74 yard TD drive followed by a 61 yard TD drive to make it 24-7 (after being tied at 7). 

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m hoping that he grows from it. As the roster turns over he will have an opportunity to gain trust back with a relatively clean slate.  

Winning helps too, if this team gets to the playoffs some people will come around to him. There is time and it happens with young coaches. It’s not good now but hopefully it will improve.

Yeah, the defense gave up a 52 yard FG drive 74 yard TD drive followed by a 61 yard TD drive to make it 24-7 (after being tied at 7). 

SMH, make him be a QB.

Problem many around the league do not understand about Tyrod is his stats lie, they look at final numbers, wow he had a great game. You yourself point to how great he did but yet he did not show for 3 straight quarters of a 4 quarter game.

The D played 90% of the first 3 quarters while Tyrod was sitting not giving his D ANY rest.

Edited by xRUSHx