A open letter to Coach McDermott

Foreigner

On 12/18/2017 at 10:28 AM, Mr. WEO said:

I did acknowledge that it is slang.  But in written language it's not appropriate--as the other poster's link to the Merriam guy pointed out.

I completely agree with you. Just because people can't stop using a "non word" they added it to the dictionary which is as ridiculous as using the word itself. Another word that was added was made up on a TV show called Veronica's Closet back in the 90's. One of the characters on the show in a press conference made up the word "incribits". You can now find it in the urban dictionary. Thankfully not recognized as a legit word, but I'm sure at some point it will be. I actually have heard people use this word in business meetings.

My letter to McD is simple. Dump Tyrod and draft a top QB in the 1st. Create a truly new era not a continuation of the Rex era.

Otherwise I can care less if your here past the 2018 season. Until we find a HC that holds QB in a higher regard nothing matters. Build around the right QB, no more bridge QBs with no exits.

Nothing more pathetic then when teams call out they are making your QB be a QB.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:25 AM, Foreigner said:

So I am sitting at home yesterday eating dinner watching Football Night in America on NBC, a show that shows highlights

of Sundays games, that is followed by a coach or player saying a few words. The Bills came on, and then Coach McDermott

said a few words. I was expecting something about praising Sean McCoy for going over 10,000 career rushing yards or

perhaps TT mentioned, as the two of them combined for almost all the points in the win over Miami. Or at least a shout out

to the O or D in the victory. Instead I lost half my food as I heard the magic words "Trust the Process". 

Coach, Coach, the process is here. It is right in front of you Christmas Eve  and New Years Eve, becoming the name in the Buffalo

Bills history book as the Coach to lead us to the playoffs for the first time in 18 years. It doesn't matter weather it is

10-6 or 9-7' you are forever a hero. Or will your name go down in the books as Sean "Nathan" McDermott. I know, I know,

many are going to say we would have not won the Chargers game with TT at QB the whole game. That is possible, but the

game planning for that game with a rookie not ready for prime time playbook, certainly would have been different with TT.

Irregardless, with four INTS in over 13 games it would have been a different outcome. Coach we don't need to trust the

process, we need to win the game in Foxboro, a game that almost nobody thinks we can win. Maybe, we can't, but part of

the problem in winning in the NFL is how do we stop the other guys. We already know how to do that next Sunday, the

same way the Fish put it to the Pats Monday night, and that is to take Gronk out of the game, and not let a 40 year old QB

with no legs and a tired arm beat you. You are a D guru, so figure out how to stop Gronk who will be playing, and maybe we

get the job done. Coach, you and your staff have overachieved this  year. Just get us to the dance and stop worrying about a

mysterious process whatever you think that may be. To all of us, the process is just winning.  

They don't have the horses on the D-line to do anything against the Pats and getting to Brady.

If McDermott can work on his timeout calling and making adjustments add a little killer instinct it think we will be OK. That being said I was fully ready for the Bills to win 3 games all year and accept that they are not a good team and ready for a full rebuild next year. I am completely amazed at the fight and mental toughness this team has shown and I can only credit that to the coach. Allot of times this year the wheels could of and had completely fallen off, unlike years past they seemed to right the ship and get things back on track. The Jury is out still but it sure looks like we are headed in the right direction.

I heard some info today and didn’t want to start a new thread. This may not be shocking but the players HATE McDermott. There are only a couple of guys on the whole roster that   are even okay with him. They don’t trust him at all and lost a ton of respect over the Peterman decision to start in LA. They felt betrayed. The players even liked Marrone more (and they didn’t like him at all either). A lot of that has been rumored but this is coming from a veteran in the locker room so I can confirm it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I heard some info today and didn’t want to start a new thread. This may not be shocking but the players HATE McDermott. There are only a couple of guys on the whole roster that   are even okay with him. They don’t trust him at all and lost a ton of respect over the Peterman decision to start in LA. They felt betrayed. The players even liked Marrone more (and they didn’t like him at all either). A lot of that has been rumored but this is coming from a veteran in the locker room so I can confirm it.

Kirby, I can't comment on the credibility of your sources or the accuracy of the report. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a great deal of discontent with the coach's Peterman decision. Whether the players like the wrestling coach or believe that he is not an authentic person matters little to me. From the games that I have seen this limited roster has played hard and overachieved (my opinion). There are few people who would deny that Marrone was an insufferable and arrogant jackass. Yet, the team played hard for him. That's what counts. 

There is no doubt that McDermott is a hard coach. He is not afraid to make roster moves or alter playing time based on performance. There is no question that certain types of players/people could/would not play for him. He demands commitment on the field and in preparation. Ask Dareus what he thinks of the coach? And ask the coach what he thinks of Dareus?

Where the rubber meets the road with a hardnosed coach like McDermott is whether that punishing style results in success. If it does he will be embraced. If it doesn't he will be scorned. The bottom line is that McDermott wants a certain type of player/person on his roster and he doesn't want a certain type of player/person on his roster. When this year is assessed I believe that the rating for the coach will be high. He got a stripped down team to compete hard. That augurs well for the future. I'm on board.  

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Kirby, I can't comment on the credibility of your sources or the accuracy of the report. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a great deal of discontent with the coach's Peterman decision. Whether the players like the wrestling coach or believe that he is not an authentic person matters little to me. From the games that I have seen this limited roster has played hard and overachieved (my opinion). There are few people who would deny that Marrone was an insufferable and arrogant jackass. Yet, the team played hard for him. That's what counts. 

There is no doubt that McDermott is a hard coach. He is not afraid to make roster moves or alter playing time based on performance. There is no question that certain types of players/people could/would not play for him. He demands commitment on the field and in preparation. Ask Dareus what he thinks of the coach? And ask the coach what he thinks of Dareus?

Where the rubber meets the road with a hardnosed coach like McDermott is whether that punishing style results in success. If it does he will be embraced. If it doesn't he will be scorned. The bottom line is that McDermott wants a certain type of player/person on his roster and he doesn't want a certain type of player/person on his roster. When this year is assessed I believe that the rating for the coach will be high. He got a stripped down team to compete hard. That augurs well for the future. I'm on board.  

Yeah, I don’t disagree that he’s done a nice job. This roster is a lot less talented than the last few IMO. McDermott has done a pretty good job.

With that being said the league is small. If players don’t like him it’s going to be more difficult to add guys. They all talk. It kind of feels like George Karl with the Kings. It’s okay to be hard-nosed but it’s not okay to be a snake. The players think that he is the latter. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the bad news is a lot of guys in the locker room don’t like him, the good news may be that we will probably have a vastly different group of guys in the locker room next year. Still, this is disconcerting. I’ve read guys like Kyle loved him and hoped that was true and was a positive. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Wow. I do believe it but didnt think it would be that strong. But I trust you and your sources.

43 minutes ago, JohnC said:

i am sure  there are players who do not "like"" McDermott , the doesn't men the they are not on board with him and what he is trying to do, The process in case you forgot. There probably is a malcontent or two on the team as it consists now.Kelly the Dog was talking to one of them. Remember we are talking about 20 to 25 year old people and they are quite apt to follow the leader without realizing the ramifications of idle talk. When i see on TV or listen on radio to the players seems that they on board with what McDermott is about. The player or players Kelly the dog talked to can trust the process or leave , if Mcd isn't already planning their exit.

Edited by Wily Dog

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I don’t disagree that he’s done a nice job. This roster is a lot less talented than the last few IMO. McDermott has done a pretty good job.

With that being said the league is small. If players don’t like him it’s going to be more difficult to add guys. They all talk. It kind of feels like George Karl with the Kings. It’s okay to be hard-nosed but it’s not okay to be a snake. The players think that he is the latter. 

I confidently don't believe he is a conniver or a snake as you put it. He is one of the most transparent people that I have seen in the coaching ranks. Is he a tad bit preachy and robotic? I'm sure some people would say yes. His earnest style doesn't bother me.  What I have observed from the outside is that he is straight-forward and doesn't seem to have much guile in the way he behaves. His philosophy is laid out for everyone to see. He doesn't seem to deviate or act apart from what he espouses. 

I'll tell you the type of players who would not like him: the slackers and the undisciplined. Selfish players who play for stats rather than uphold their roles are not going to like him. You don't think that Adulphos Washington was severely scolded for his idiotic personal foul on the sidelines? I'm sure he might not be a devotee of the wrestling coach but the players who are responsible, like Kyle Williams, surely appreciate that type of coaching. 

The players who wouldn't want to play for the challenging coach are the type of players/people who the coach wouldn't want on the roster. Success is not predicated on the accumulation of talent. It is more predicated on the getting the right players to fit for your team. That is a Marv Levy dictum and it is a dictum that the wrestling coach believes in. I'm on that same choo choo train. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I had heard rumblings and assumed it was a few malcontents. It’s much broader than I thought.

I think a lot of times when a coach has somewhat of a meteoric rise, and becomes the head man when they are young, in any sport they let it go to their head. Saint Doug surely did. They think I am going to be different, and I know the right way to do this, simply because they haven't been proven wrong yet.

McDermott had never been a HC of any kind so it was even worse. His buddy had done a lot of jobs but had never been in charge either. I could see the shine wearing off quick if veteran guys saw stuff they didnt like.

They of course have not had the head job as it were but you spend a lot of time preparing for your opportunity and that counts for something, otherwise you or i could coach the team without any credentials. To say they are unprepared is a misnomer and could be a justification of some of the rants about McD and Beane on the board.

Edited by Wily Dog

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It was a boneheaded rookie HC mistake.  I'm sure it did not sit well with the players.  I even think Peterman did not want that to happen.

He should of started TT and if/when he played bad then put in Peterman.  He "outsmarted" himself and he went on to deny that.

No way Peterman should of started before the Colts game if at all.

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I sure hope for the players and fans alike, that it is not true about the snake thing.

Coaches like Parcells and Coughlin were very demanding and tough.  Heck, Tiki Barber hated Coughlin so much he retired in his prime.

McDermott done pretty darn good his first year and it would be nice to have some consistency in the HC department.  He needs to improve too.

If the team wins, players will come here.

Thanks for your insight Kirby!

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

I imagine that all of the players in N.E.  are in love with Belicheate. 

FWIW, most of the players there really like Billy B. One of my good friends played for him for a while. He always shot straight with them and treated them like men. The media doesn’t love him because he doesn’t give them much but the players like him. It’s kind of like Pop. 

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, most of the players there really like Billy B. One of my good friends played for him for a while. He always shot straight with them and treated them like men. The media doesn’t love him because he doesn’t give them much but the players like him. It’s kind of like Pop. 

Winning SBs is a salve for bruised feelings. If the Pats were struggling on the field the affection for this tough and demanding coach would certainly erode. Tom Coughlin was a tough gizzard. He was for the most part a very successful coach. However, when the Giants hit a losing spell and were struggling the players who once embraced the Irish tough guy found his stern act to be very tiresome and objectionable. 

The key to determining how the players feel for a coach is not their public or private lamenting. The real indicator is how hard and smart the players play for the coach. And if you want to tap down any rising discontent consistently win and show your players that what is being preached is more than blowing smoke up their derrieres. It is a formula for success. 

Make no mistake the HC knows who is on board and who is not. He knows who is committed and who is not. He knows who plays for oneself and who plays for the team. In a two year period this roster will be turned over by nearly 75-80%. His guys may not have much affection for him but they will play hard for him. That's what counts. 

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

How many other people have bosses they particularly  do not care for?      

These guys are professionals and should do their job.  

Nicely said John

The main thing is that guys have a choice where they play. Recruiting is important and shouldn’t be underestimated. McDermott is a young coach and will hopefully grow from it as he gets more confident in his role. He’s done a pretty good job IMO with a roster that doesn’t have a ton of talent.

With that being said his personality and perception of him from other players will be a factor when it comes to free agency. It won’t be the only factor but it will be one. They did well last year but again that was without a frame of reference. We will see this year and into the future if it continues. As of now though he does not have a lot of friends in that building.

• Like (+1) 1