A open letter to Coach McDermott

Foreigner

40 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

In over a decade? 

Three years ago they beat Aaron Rogers and the Packers in December to go to 8-6.

And that was a defensively loaded team with a weak mindset, evidenced by a pathetic effort against the Raiders in a critical Week 16 game.  Same as last year's team laying on the ground in pivotal games vs Dolphins & Steelers.   More talent on paper lesser result on the field.

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Now we don't like Coach McD because he says "Trust the Process" repeatedly even though he's changed the culture and wins games like the Colts game by trusting the defense.

Will we ever get to the place where we can celebrate success and build on it?

You forgot we don't like McD also for his incessant clapping too

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That is the saddest link I will read all day>  it's stunning that this guy is a lexiconographer for a dictionary.

He's basically saying that because it's a slang word, it goes in the dictionary.  He throws in some nonsense about "native speakers" and "dialect"--then says "it’s not part of standard English".

The full entry from the OED (which I have access to): 

irreˈgardless, adj. and adv.

Frequency (in current use):  
Etymology: Probably blend of irrespective and regardless.
Chiefly N. Amer.

In nonstandard or humorous use: regardless.

1912   in H. Wentworth Amer. Dial. Dict.  
1923   Lit. Digest 17 Feb. 76   Is there such a word as irregardless in the English language?
1934   in Webster's New Internat. Dict. Eng. Lang. (labelled Erron. or Humorous, U.S.).  
1938   I. Kuhn Assigned to Adventure xxx. 310   I made a grand entrance and suffered immediate and complete obliteration, except on the pay-roll, which functioned automatically to present me with a three-figure cheque every week, ‘irregardless’, as Hollywood says.
1939   C. Morley Kitty Foyle xxvii. 267   But she can take things in her stride, irregardless what's happened.
1955   Publ. Amer. Dial. Soc. No. 24. 19   I don't think like other people do and irregardless of how much or how little dope would cost me [etc.].
1970   Current Trends in Linguistics X. 590   She tells the pastor that he should please quit using the word ‘irregardless’ in his sermons as there is no such word.
1971   M. McShane Man who left Well Enough iv. 96   The sun poured down on Purity irregardless of the fact that it received no welcome.
Edited by dave mcbride

3 hours ago, Foreigner said:

You are a D guru, so figure out how to stop Gronk who will be playing, and maybe we

get the job done.

Why do people think this is so easy to do?  As if there is some sort of magic bullet that will just stop Gronkowski in his tracks.  Him, Brady, and the hoodie have been doing this for years and no one has "figured it out".  Maybe they are just good players and are difficult to stop on a game to game basis

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The full entry from the OED (which I have access to): 

irreˈgardless, adj. and adv.

Frequency (in current use):  
Etymology: Probably blend of irrespective and regardless.
Chiefly N. Amer.

In nonstandard or humorous use: regardless.

1912   in H. Wentworth Amer. Dial. Dict.  
1923   Lit. Digest 17 Feb. 76   Is there such a word as irregardless in the English language?
1934   in Webster's New Internat. Dict. Eng. Lang. (labelled Erron. or Humorous, U.S.).  
1938   I. Kuhn Assigned to Adventure xxx. 310   I made a grand entrance and suffered immediate and complete obliteration, except on the pay-roll, which functioned automatically to present me with a three-figure cheque every week, ‘irregardless’, as Hollywood says.
1939   C. Morley Kitty Foyle xxvii. 267   But she can take things in her stride, irregardless what's happened.
1955   Publ. Amer. Dial. Soc. No. 24. 19   I don't think like other people do and irregardless of how much or how little dope would cost me [etc.].
1970   Current Trends in Linguistics X. 590   She tells the pastor that he should please quit using the word ‘irregardless’ in his sermons as there is no such word.
1971   M. McShane Man who left Well Enough iv. 96   The sun poured down on Purity irregardless of the fact that it received no welcome.

"it’s not part of standard English and so — especially if you’re writing or if you’re speaking in formal places — you want to use "regardless" instead."

Any group of letters can be a word, I guess.  But as the Merriam lexicographer above writes, it's an improper use of another word.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Weak minded team? Why? Because they lost to the Raiders in Oakland? The Bills never win there. I don't buy they were weak minded. 

I was simply saying it wasn't the biggest victory in December in over a decade. Not sure what that team being defensively loaded has to do with anything.

This win was bigger because they have a more realistic shot at the playoffs this year, despite a depleted roster. 

That's why I'm reveling in all the excuses the NNs like you who come up with excuse after excuse to trash the Process and come out looking stupid.   The 2014 team was built to hit the playoffs and undearchieved.   This team is built for a tank, and is now in control of its playoff destiny.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

"it’s not part of standard English and so — especially if you’re writing or if you’re speaking in formal places — you want to use "regardless" instead."

Any group of letters can be a word, I guess.  But as the Merriam lexicographer above writes, it's an improper use of another word.

Not disagreeing! I was just posting this as a "for the record" sort of thing.

24 minutes ago, GG said:

And that was a defensively loaded team with a weak mindset, evidenced by a pathetic effort against the Raiders in a critical Week 16 game.  Same as last year's team laying on the ground in pivotal games vs Dolphins & Steelers.   More talent on paper lesser result on the field.

To be fair, Dareus's going down early in that Raiders game (a game he was dominating in early on) was huge. He was arguably the best player on a great defense that season. I didn't like the result, but the absence of top players matters. The Raiders ran the ball far more effectively after he went out.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Looking stupid? 

They beat Jay Cutler and the Dolphins dude. Relax. 

I trashes the trades which I still think are dumb. Trading proven, good young players for unknown draft picks makes 0 sense to me. 

And yet this team is in a better position to earn a playoff spot despite losing the "proven" players

My least favorite coach speak phrase out of a former Bill's coach - "Obviously..."  Everything was Obvious...  (Marrone).

I will say this - after this season, I don't want to hear "trust the process" as a present/future tense phrase.  It should be more like, "we trusted in the process, which is why we have been successful."

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.

They'd still be better with those players. 

Not if they didn't fit the system or bought into the Process. 

Why do you think Belichick plucks a guy off a practice squad, and he puts up all-pro numbers?  

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Not if they didn't fit the system or bought into the Process. 

Why do you think Belichick plucks a guy off a practice squad, and he puts up all-pro numbers?  

Exactly. The Bills would be worse if the cancers were still here.

I think for the OP, "Trust the process." has become cliche.  For fans, it may seem that way, but I think McDermott came in here believing it, and now players have bought in.  I think it is real.  We haven't made the playoffs yet, and still might not this season, but I think you can see the process in the reduction in sloppy, careless play and in penalties in particular.  I believe the Bills are trending upward, and I'm encouraged.

Maybe you should actually go listen to his entire interview then postgame because him talking about Shady was one of the first things out of his mouth before he took any questions...

why would you not even bother to listen to the interview and then hold what clip NBC footbal night in America decides to show of him??

like he called them up and said..."Hey, play this clip."

This is beyond an idiotic take...

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The team was 5-2 with Dareus and absolutely better with Watkins.

Lol. Yet those cancers were traded for by legitimate Super Bowl contenders.?

what a couple of **** arguments these are.

good talk scott.

4 hours ago, Foreigner said:

So I am sitting at home yesterday eating dinner watching Football Night in America on NBC, a show that shows highlights

of Sundays games, that is followed by a coach or player saying a few words. The Bills came on, and then Coach McDermott

said a few words. I was expecting something about praising Sean McCoy for going over 10,000 career rushing yards or

perhaps TT mentioned, as the two of them combined for almost all the points in the win over Miami. Or at least a shout out

to the O or D in the victory. Instead I lost half my food as I heard the magic words "Trust the Process". 

Coach, Coach, the process is here. It is right in front of you Christmas Eve  and New Years Eve, becoming the name in the Buffalo

Bills history book as the Coach to lead us to the playoffs for the first time in 18 years. It doesn't matter weather it is

10-6 or 9-7' you are forever a hero. Or will your name go down in the books as Sean "Nathan" McDermott. I know, I know,

many are going to say we would have not won the Chargers game with TT at QB the whole game. That is possible, but the

game planning for that game with a rookie not ready for prime time playbook, certainly would have been different with TT.

Irregardless, with four INTS in over 13 games it would have been a different outcome. Coach we don't need to trust the

process, we need to win the game in Foxboro, a game that almost nobody thinks we can win. Maybe, we can't, but part of

the problem in winning in the NFL is how do we stop the other guys. We already know how to do that next Sunday, the

same way the Fish put it to the Pats Monday night, and that is to take Gronk out of the game, and not let a 40 year old QB

with no legs and a tired arm beat you. You are a D guru, so figure out how to stop Gronk who will be playing, and maybe we

get the job done. Coach, you and your staff have overachieved this  year. Just get us to the dance and stop worrying about a

mysterious process whatever you think that may be. To all of us, the process is just winning.  

This is virtually unreadable. My advice to you is invest in a remedial writing book. 

5 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I am unable to grasp the purpose of this thread. Are you saying that a coach who has pushed/praised group accomplishments (aka "be 1 of 11) should discuss a personal accomplishment or two during an after-game interview? It appears that too many people need to lay off the nit picking. What's next? Go back to the clapping complaints?

The McClapper posts are at least comical. This thread not so much.