Might be losing one of my best friends soon...

Roundybout

4 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Just got back home. 

Ultrasound revealed a sizable tumor in his abdomen - stomach cancer. Untreatable even if I had the cash for chemo and surgery. Bear's been given 3 weeks, enough for Christmas. 

Holy living ****. I'm a little in shock. 

Sweats, I'm going to keep that in mind when the inevitable comes. Thanks. 

I’m so very sorry to hear this news.  My Golden #5 was the first time I was with one when she went down. It was one of the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I’m glad I was there. Sweats is right, just remember the good times. I still smile when I remember the good times with Cassie. She was a hoot, semi-afraid of the “giant” deer on our lot who wanted to play with her (they were a lot more than her 60 #).  They would taunt her - come and get me with hoof stomps. (The deer were not affected by the invisible fence!)  

You’ll have all that good stuff that ever happened with you forever. 

Edited by Augie

So sorry to hear of your pup. My wife an I just went through he worst nitemare  our lives just about a month ago. One minute my pup of 16 years was happy, playing, and running in the grass outside. And I picked her up to sit on my lap and watch some TV and out of nowhere she started spazzing out really hard. I had to rush her to the hospital. Once there they told me she was seizing (had been for the last 30 minutes or so in my arms as I sped to the emergency vet) She was seizing right through their injections. Bought just enough time for my wife to get there from work and her family so that we could all say goodbye. They believed that she had a brain tumor that just all the sudden hit in such a way to bring everything on. Would have costed thousands just to be sure. But she was too old for surgery and even if they could fix the problem they believed she would possibly continue to have seizures. 

We all said goodbye as they gave her some relaxers. Enough to calm her down for the end. I didn’t want to let her go in any distress so I took it upon myself to hold her as they administered the shot. I’ll never forget holding her in my arms one last time. It felt good believing that she knew We were there for her. I’m sure she was terrified. 

I say say this to you now to help or that you do the same for Bear. Be with him at ththe end. Let him know you are there and keeping him safe. It will be the hardest thing for you to do but for him it will mean everything. 

I wish you the best in your final weeks with Bear. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Really appreciate it guys. He's not in any pain, and it hasn't spread. We will make this the best Christmas yet. ^_^

Aw man I’m sure he will appreciate it whatever you do for him. Dogs are so much like that. I’m sorry for the news buddy. ?

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

The big guy passed away at 7 this morning. He'd lost about 50 pounds by this point, and I had already made an appointment to have him put to sleep. Won't need it now. 

Thanks for all your support and kind words. It was a good Christmas, and I'll miss him very much. 

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The big guy passed away at 7 this morning. He'd lost about 50 pounds by this point, and I had already made an appointment to have him put to sleep. Won't need it now. 

Thanks for all your support and kind words. It was a good Christmas, and I'll miss him very much. 

Sorry to hear this but good that you could enjoy Christmas.  

So sorry to hear this. Just saw the thread this morning. Wife and I have 2 dogs and no kids... which is to say we have 2 kids.

To your earlier comment about greyhounds, one of my two is a greyhound rescue. He’s funny as hell, and sweet, but if you have little kids he’s not a good fit; track manners, insofar as he jumps one everyone and he’s territorial at times. We have a pit mix that is the sweetest dog in the world to everyone but the vacuum cleaner. 

I’m glad you made it through Christmas with your Bear, and I’m truly sorry for your loss. I hope the healing doesn’t take too long. Hang in there. 

3 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Hang tough, he will be with you forever in your heart. RIP