Might be losing one of my best friends soon...

Roundybout

Hey all, 

About three weeks ago my dog, Bear, started acting a little strange. He started throwing up at night and drooling a lot more than usual (He's a 7 year old Newfoundland). He's also been eating very strangely, chewing his food far more than he used to with his jaw making a 'clicking' sound while chewing. 

I couldn't figure out what was wrong. There is nothing stuck in his throat and his poop and whatnot is normal (sorry to be graphic). 

Took him to the vet yesterday. He has no sign of infection. His temperature and blood sugar are both fine. What wasn't fine were his platelet and protein levels, which a blood test showed were a little low and a little high, respectively. 

Now, the vet couldn't say what was wrong at all. There are a lot of things that could be wrong. But, if he had to guess, there's one thing. 

Liver cancer. 

Newfoundlands are a higher risk for it. It would explain the drool and the throwing up (nausea). 

The only other thing I believe it could be would be heartworms or some sort of poisoning. However, without X-Rays, we cannot be sure. 

He ate some this morning, more than in a while, and went for a short walk, which I thought was good. He still won't drink anything, which is very strange. You'd think with cancer he would want to drink a ton.

I've been something of a mess during this whole situation, and I was wondering if any of you fine people have been down this road before. I am still in shock about this. His checkup in August was perfect. How could this have come up so fast? Not to mention, around Christmas time. 

If any of you are the praying type, send some prayers for both him and me. It's gonna be a rough Christmas.

-B.E. (Mike).  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2

So sorry to hear this Mike. Yes, I've been through it numerous times with our various labs (yellow labs and black lab). They really are best friends. Will say a prayer for you all. Love Newfies!! Really wanted to get one but we don't have a house that's big enough...so we went with another yellow lab. Stay strong brother.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel your pain.  We're on Golden Retriever #6.  This one I found online at the SPCA, so not exactly sure how old he is, but after going through that a number of times, it's not easy!

All you can do is your best, both for you and for your very special dog.  Best of luck!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Appreciate it guys. I think the worst part is not knowing exactly what is wrong, only that he's very sick. 

Your reference to poisoning is very real. My folks had a dog in FL that was acting the same way...in FL the condo association puts out rat poison in the area. Sometimes dogs eat that crap. Not saying that was it, but it could be a number of things (antifreeze, grapes, chocolate, etc). Newfies are about as smart as labs when it comes to food - eat anything in sight.

48 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Hey all, 

About three weeks ago my dog, Bear, started acting a little strange. He started throwing up at night and drooling a lot more than usual (He's a 7 year old Newfoundland). He's also been eating very strangely, chewing his food far more than he used to with his jaw making a 'clicking' sound while chewing. 

I couldn't figure out what was wrong. There is nothing stuck in his throat and his poop and whatnot is normal (sorry to be graphic). 

Took him to the vet yesterday. He has no sign of infection. His temperature and blood sugar are both fine. What wasn't fine were his platelet and protein levels, which a blood test showed were a little low and a little high, respectively. 

Now, the vet couldn't say what was wrong at all. There are a lot of things that could be wrong. But, if he had to guess, there's one thing. 

Liver cancer. 

Newfoundlands are a higher risk for it. It would explain the drool and the throwing up (nausea). 

The only other thing I believe it could be would be heartworms or some sort of poisoning. However, without X-Rays, we cannot be sure. 

He ate some this morning, more than in a while, and went for a short walk, which I thought was good. He still won't drink anything, which is very strange. You'd think with cancer he would want to drink a ton.

I've been something of a mess during this whole situation, and I was wondering if any of you fine people have been down this road before. I am still in shock about this. His checkup in August was perfect. How could this have come up so fast? Not to mention, around Christmas time. 

If any of you are the praying type, send some prayers for both him and me. It's gonna be a rough Christmas.

-B.E. (Mike).  

Hey mike. So sorry to hear that. I lost my best friend 2 years ago as well

She was the sweetest, cutest beagle 

she stopped eating one day and we took her to the vet and she had cancer 

i couldnt put her down. So I just tried to make her last few weeks as comfortable as possible for her

stay strong mike. Your buddy needs you to be strong for him

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Your reference to poisoning is very real. My folks had a dog in FL that was acting the same way...in FL the condo association puts out rat poison in the area. Sometimes dogs eat that crap. Not saying that was it, but it could be a number of things (antifreeze, grapes, chocolate, etc). Newfies are about as smart as labs when it comes to food - eat anything in sight.

Rat poison killed off a buddy's terrier. That was a sad story. And you're not wrong about eating everything in sight, Bear has tried to eat everything from pickles to spiders.

• Haha (+1) 1

Tough times when you lose four legged freinds. We lost ours a year ago and still have not tried to replace her. The pain will fade, and the memories will stay. Keep him comfortable as possible, and you will know in your heart what the best next step is. Good luck.

29 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I had a dog die from antifreeze poisoning. You'll know it because they start vomiting and acting drunk and wobbling. Ethlyne glycol crystals eventually destroy the kidneys. 

I hate losing a dog. Sorry to hear about yours.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Hey all, 

Liver cancer. 

-B.E. (Mike).  

This is horrible news and very sad.

I had a German Shepherd who had the exact same symptoms, and yes unfortunately it was liver cancer. It took 3 vet visits to diagnose, but the symptoms just kept getting worse. The day before I took her in the final time, she wouldn't even eat peanut butter. First she was throwing everything up, then lost interest in eating.

Only difference is she did drink water. Look out for a positive response after drinking water. Even though he doesn't drink alot, if he seems more lively after a good drink, it could def be cancer in the liver. After the second vet visit, they gave her an IV and she seemed great, recovered even, for just a few hours. False hope.

Sad to say she left us at just 8 years old.

I feel for you, brother.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I feel your pain.  We're on Golden Retriever #6.  This one I found online at the SPCA, so not exactly sure how old he is, but after going through that a number of times, it's not easy!

All you can do is your best, both for you and for your very special dog.  Best of luck!

I am also on Golden #6. Lost the first 5 to some form of cancer. People who don’t have dogs don’t realize what a loss that is. Sending thoughts and prayers through this difficult process...

• Like (+1) 1

Lost my dog back in 2009 and it was difficult.

Hoping for the best BE.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am also on Golden #6. Lost the first 5 to some form of cancer. People who don’t have dogs don’t realize what a loss that is. Sending thoughts and prayers through this difficult process...

I've heard before that Golden's have more than a 50% chance of getting some sort of cancer in their life time?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Lost my dog back in 2009 and it was difficult.

Hoping for the best BE.

I've heard before that Golden's have more than a 50% chance of getting some sort of cancer in their life time?

I’ve heard some vets label them as cancer dogs, but they are the greatest things on earth! I wouldn’t want any other breed despite this issue. (My wife may disagree...) Mine have lasted anywhere from 8-13 years, with the current one just having turned 8. AWESOME dogs. 

Just now, Augie said:

I’ve heard some vets label them as cancer dogs, but they are the greatest things on earth! I wouldn’t want any other breed despite this issue. (My wife may disagree...) Mine have lasted anywhere from 8-13 years, with the current one just having turned 8. AWESOME dogs. 

I've never owned but also have never not loved one that I came into contact with.

I have a 9 year old dog now that I married into (wife had him before we met) and when it's her time, I am thinking about a Golden next.

16 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

This is horrible news and very sad.

I had a German Shepherd who had the exact same symptoms, and yes unfortunately it was liver cancer. It took 3 vet visits to diagnose, but the symptoms just kept getting worse. The day before I took her in the final time, she wouldn't even eat peanut butter. First she was throwing everything up, then lost interest in eating.

Only difference is she did drink water. Look out for a positive response after drinking water. Even though he doesn't drink alot, if he seems more lively after a good drink, it could def be cancer in the liver. After the second vet visit, they gave her an IV and she seemed great, recovered even, for just a few hours. False hope.

Sad to say she left us at just 8 years old.

I feel for you, brother.

That's the thing, he had an IV yesterday at the vet because he was so dehydrated, and he still acted the same. No real improvement, though like I said, he went for a short walk this morning. He just plain refuses to drink any water. Sorry to hear about your loss!

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

That's the thing, he had an IV yesterday at the vet because he was so dehydrated, and he still acted the same. No real improvement, though like I said, he went for a short walk this morning. He just plain refuses to drink any water. Sorry to hear about your loss!

Not sure what will happen with Bear, but if it's bad news, will you get another Newf?

After we lost our black lab this past summer, our younger yellow lab was bored and seemed to miss him. So we're getting my daughter a dog this Christmas. I must be going crazy thinking about the social adjustment of our remaining dog (but I'm a Bills fan so that explains the lunacy)

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Not sure what will happen with Bear, but if it's bad news, will you get another Newf?

After we lost our black lab this past summer, our younger yellow lab was bored and seemed to miss him. So we're getting my daughter a dog this Christmas. I must be going crazy thinking about the social adjustment of our remaining dog (but I'm a Bills fan so that explains the lunacy)

If anything, we will get a rescue dog. I think we will try for another newf, or maybe another big dog. For some family reasons, we need to have an easy going dog. If it was up to me, I would adopt a retired racing greyhound since those need some love, but are skittish as heck. 

Just now, Sig1Hunter said:

No possibility of some kind of issue / infection in his mouth / teeth? 

We took a look. No dice, his teeth and jaw seems to be ok. That was one of our first ideas, actually, that he had a piece of something stuck somewhere in his mouth.

• Like (+1) 1