Cheap Shot Incident from MNF: Smith-Schuster on Burfict

Fadingpain

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

How in the hell does anyone thing this is a cheap shot? Not even close. Perfect block. Cheap shot... lmfao what a joke. Great block juju.

How was it illegal? They were facing each other no helmet to helmet he hit him square in the chest. Legal hit. Great job by the rookie

1. the blocker is moving toward his own end line; and
  2. he approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.

Note: If the near shoulder of the blocker contacts the front of his opponent’s body, the “peel back” block is legal.

Player was moving towards sidelines not endlines. He hit him in the numbers. 

Legal hit

Juju put his head down and the full impact was from the helmet, not from the shoulder pad.  

His subsequent straddle left no doubt about his intent. 

Illegal.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Worse? What an idiotic thing to say.

Gronk is getting off way too easy by the national media. Comparing dirty hitsthat occur in the field of play vs. one where a 6'6 275 pound titan unsnaps his helmet and then side stepping to generate max force to slam the guy in the head with a metal brace. 

delete your twitter account Benoit. You can't adult.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Benoit screwed up there and has other national analysts calling him out

What a crock of **** by Mike Freeman.   I hope trolls go out full force on this snowflake

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Meant to quote this one but whatever.    

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Meh, this is nothing. He's calling him out for using the word thuggish.

He doesn't say anything about Benoit's stupid comment on which hit is worse.

11 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Hot on the heels of the Gronk incident came this block/taunt/ugly situation in the MNF game, Bengals vs. Steelers.

Couldn't believe how LOUD the hit was in real time.  They spent a lot of time talking about this during the game and after.

Burfict was KO'd but apparently was able to walk off a stretcher into the locker room on his own power.

Ugly look for the game.

For the Record that is OLD Football and completely clean in OLD Football, Ward used to make a living with these and I as a LBer got lit up like this a time or two when I would not keep my head on a swivel but in today's football this is Illegal

52 minutes ago, GG said:

Juju put his head down and the full impact was from the helmet, not from the shoulder pad.  

His subsequent straddle left no doubt about his intent. 

Illegal.

Isn't every players intent to hit the other guy hard?

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Had he not stood over him and taunted him it would have been a more respected play.  That, the taunting, will probably cost him a fine or a suspension. 

The taunting absolutely should have been flagged. The hit from everything I've seen, video and rules is legal.

I actually like how a rookie on this team knew the history between his team (and teammates: Antonio Brown) and Burfict, and picked his moment in the play of the game. I know the Steelers locker room has to like this guy. (I believe it was legal, but don't profess to know the rules these days)

But I said on another thread, I don't want to see self policing ruining the X's and O's of this game. That just put a target on all Steelers receivers going through the middle in a tight game. Let Burfict suspend himself out of this league.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

For the Record that is OLD Football and completely clean in OLD Football, Ward used to make a living with these and I as a LBer got lit up like this a time or two when I would not keep my head on a swivel but in today's football this is Illegal

I don't know why this concept is difficult for some.  

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Whaley wanted to build a PIttsburgh team here.  Didn't happen.  Our players are soft

There isn’t one player on the bills who is tough as any player on the Steelers.  

The taunting was stupid and deserves a flag and a fine, but I still cannot figure out how that hit is illegal.

It was not helmet to helmet, he led with his shoulder. Tons of plays have incidental helmet to helmet contact, watch any running play that goes up the gut of the D.

But 19 did not lead or spear with his head.

It is not an illegal peel back or crack back as he did not hit him from the side or back or below the waist.

For those calling it illegal, please point out the rule that states such.

Totally legal play in my mind...and comparing it to the Gronk hit is ridiculous. The Gronk hit wasn't a legal hit and it wasn't during a play.

It's closer to the Landry hit on A. Williams last year, but JuJu didn't launch off his feet like Landry did and Landry's angle was more from the side (and if I remember Landry didn't even get a penalty for his hit). Why did that hit not get any national attention, but this is a dirty, cheap shot as bad as what Gronk did? There is such a double-standard in the NFL.

A little karma for Burfict....really hope I don't hear him complain about that hit, with the s%#! he's pulled in this league.

1 minute ago, folz said:

The taunting was stupid and deserves a flag and a fine, but I still cannot figure out how that hit is illegal.

It was not helmet to helmet, he led with his shoulder. Tons of plays have incidental helmet to helmet contact, watch any running play that goes up the gut of the D.

But 19 did not lead or spear with his head.

It is not an illegal peel back or crack back as he did not hit him from the side or back or below the waist.

For those calling it illegal, please point out the rule that states such.

Totally legal play in my mind...and comparing it to the Gronk hit is ridiculous. The Gronk hit wasn't a legal hit and it wasn't during a play.

It's closer to the Landry hit on A. Williams last year, but JuJu didn't launch off his feet like Landry did and Landry's angle was more from the side (and if I remember Landry didn't even get a penalty for his hit). Why did that hit not get any national attention, but this is a dirty, cheap shot as bad as what Gronk did? There is such a double-standard in the NFL.

A little karma for Burfict....really hope I don't hear him complain about that hit, with the s%#! he's pulled in this league.

Illegal since 2013.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/19/4125046/nfl-rule-changes-peel-back-block