Sean Mcvay Calling Plays at the Line

BillsFan130

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/27/rams-line-up-quickly-so-sean-mcvay-can-call-audibles/

Mods feel free to merge or delete if there was a similar topic about it, I searched but didn't see anything.

Thought this was pretty interesting as Jared Goff as obviously taken a massive step this year. 

It's a short article but to sum it up, the Rams are going to line quickly so that Mcvay can scan the defence and relay an audible to Goff before the head clock goes off at 15 seconds left.

To relate this to the Bills, we need to draft a QB in the first round. But it is also going to take a creative.smart O coordinator for the QB to progress, and I don't think Dennison is that guy at all.

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/27/rams-line-up-quickly-so-sean-mcvay-can-call-audibles/

Mods feel free to merge or delete if there was a similar topic about it, I searched but didn't see anything.

Thought this was pretty interesting as Jared Goff as obviously taken a massive step this year. 

It's a short article but to sum it up, the Rams are going to line quickly so that Mcvay can scan the defence and relay an audible to Goff before the head clock goes off at 15 seconds left.

To relate this to the Bills, we need to draft a QB in the first round. But it is also going to take a creative.smart O coordinator for the QB to progress, and I don't think Dennison is that guy at all.

This is a very, very good idea by McVay. He's terrific so far.

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

This is doing your qb no favors. The hope there is that goff is taking mental snaps with regard to the play calling so when the time comes he can audible. It definitely is unique and is a good technique as long as those two are together.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

They’ll probably change the rules now.

I heard this discussed on Sirius XM NFL Radio a couple of hours ago. Didn't hear who they were interviewing, but sounded like it was someone either in charge of referees or part of the rules committee. He said he expects the NFL to look at it and make rule changes accordingly. The interviewer (not sure, but it may have been Jim Miller) suggested the rule is 15 seconds left or whenever the center touches the ball, whichever comes first. 

In any case, good for McVay to use the rules as it currently is to his team's advantage.

10 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I heard this discussed on Sirius XM NFL Radio a couple of hours ago. Didn't hear who they were interviewing, but sounded like it was someone either in charge of referees or part of the rules committee. He said he expects the NFL to look at it and make rule changes accordingly. The interviewer (not sure, but it may have been Jim Miller) suggested the rule is 15 seconds left or whenever the center touches the ball, whichever comes first. 

In any case, good for McVay to use the rules as it currently is to his team's advantage.

Heard that too - it was Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan talking to Dean Blandino, Kirwan was the one that suggested the NFL should turn off the communications system when the C touches the ball.  It's not that way now though...

30 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I agree, but pretty smart to take advantage of it if you can. It is a loophole in the rule book

Absolutely, it’s a genius move for the Rams to pull. McVay is the kind of coach the NFL needs right now. Smart, young, ahead of the curve.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Heard that too - it was Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan talking to Dean Blandino, Kirwan was the one that suggested the NFL should turn off the communications system when the C touches the ball.  It's not that way now though...

Doubt it would work. The answer to that proposed change is for everyone to line up with the center not reaching for the ball until the QB gives him a signal.

Of course, nothing is stopping the defensive coaches from calling audibles themselves before their radios are turned off...