Why Taylor can't be the QB longterm---perfect example today

Big Turk

9 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

You've run out of chances for Tyrod ................... I mean you've been defending him for so long ........... must be exhausted.

It is quite exhausting...And I no longer have the energy to hope Tyrod can get any better...he is what he is...180 yards & 1 TD per game are his ceiling...and imo it is his lack of urgency and accuracy that prevents him from being able to do more.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2

Really bad pass to O’Leary. The clay one was equally as bad. We lucked out big time there that the defender didn’t break more quickly on it. That said, we

already know this about Tyrod. He throws some ducks every game. Ball just dies on a lot of his throws. He also makes some great ones too. And he is great at avoiding pressure, extending the play, etc, etc.

I think what makes TT really interesting and creates such a huge debate around him is that the things he does bad, he does SO bad that it makes people go crazy and overreact at times. Some of those little flutter balls and his inability to see wide open receivers at times are just JV level painful. Also, two minute drill? Forget it. As bad as any QB in the league at times with those things. On the flip side, the things he does well, he does SO well that the Tyrod homers let that blind them to other facets of his game. Almost no QBs in the league protect the ball, run, or avoid pressure as well as TT. I think he lands as a middle of the road QB at the end of he day, but it’s a weird sort of “average” because he’s such a different player with such extremes in his skill set. 

Bottom line is that there’s no debate (or at least there shouldn’t be) that he is our starter and best option at QB right now. There’s still a legit chance we could sneak into the playoffs with him in there. 

1 minute ago, DC Greg said:

Really bad pass to O’Leary. The clay one was equally as bad. We lucked out big time there that the defender didn’t break more quickly on it. That said, we

already know this about Tyrod. He throws some ducks every game. Ball just dies on a lot of his throws. 

The Clay one wasn't that. The ball went exactly as he wanted it to. When guys are wide open like that he lobs it on purpose. He misjudged how quick Peters could get to it. And Peters didn't. A little luck but he didn't throw a duck. He wanted to do that all the way. The Oleary pass he missed by one yard. Was not a good pass at all when he was wide open like that. 

8 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

He might not be the guy this year......but to dismiss him after one game is folly

We are actually damn lucky TT did not have a pick for a TD today....Peters totally screwed up.

Still....I get the arguement.....fans dont want conditions to have to be perfect in order to beat good teams.....we need to be able to win some games even when the defense is not good.

Ah....... Really BTW there was a personal foul on the play to top it off so another 15 yards.........

11 hours ago, JM2009 said:

Bills scored a lot of points the last two seasons under a different scheme. Why isn't the run game dominant like the last two seasons?

does it matter?  when the run game was dominant we still finished......out of the playoffs.   one dimensional offenses rarely win consistently.

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Dennison coaches his worst game today. He was awful. We won despite him and an awful, awful call. We TOOK CARE OF THE FOOTBALL which we way underrate around here. We made them move the football and they couldn’t. 

Agree he called his worst game yesterday.  There were still bits on execution - I thought it was Shady's worst game for a well over a year... it was back to year 1 in terms of missing holes.... and yes Tyrod missed a couple of throws... but generally we were doing a nice job in pass protection today in a game where the Chiefs were selling out to stop the run and we called one deep shot the whole game (the one to Zay).  We had 1 on 1 often on the outside and were generally starting with good field position (not as though we were backed up under out own posts), it's inexcusable not to take some shots there.  Especially in the 2nd half those last couple of drives.  If you show Kansas City that you are willing to go deep on those plays they have to either respect that (and then you can use Shady and Cadet to burn clock against less stacked boxes) or you have a good chance to hit them with the put away big play.  The TD drive was a nice drive, well coordinated, and a very good play call and design to attack the way KC's 3-4 works for the TD.  Beyond that there was a head scratching level of conservatism at times.  

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree he called his worst game yesterday.  There were still bits on execution - I thought it was Shady's worst game for a well over a year... it was back to year 1 in terms of missing holes.... and yes Tyrod missed a couple of throws... but generally we were doing a nice job in pass protection today in a game where the Chiefs were selling out to stop the run and we called one deep shot the whole game (the one to Zay).  We had 1 on 1 often on the outside and were generally starting with good field position (not as though we were backed up under out own posts), it's inexcusable not to take some shots there.  Especially in the 2nd half those last couple of drives.  If you show Kansas City that you are willing to go deep on those plays they have to either respect that (and then you can use Shady and Cadet to burn clock against less stacked boxes) or you have a good chance to hit them with the put away big play.  The TD drive was a nice drive, well coordinated, and a very good play call and design to attack the way KC's 3-4 works for the TD.  Beyond that there was a head scratching level of conservatism at times.  

I despise playing not to lose. I hate it on offense and on defense. We stayed fairly aggressive defensively. Sitting on your heals is a losing philosophy.

I agree with all of the above. Sometimes you have to go for the throat and put a team away. Instead the Bills hoped that they could hang on. That ridiculous personal foul could have cost us too. Tre stepped up and made a big play to end it. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The ball was at his stomach not the ground.  He didn't need to go to the ground to catch it.  Placement could have been better but it is what it is.  Look around the league and see that no QB throws 100% perfectly placed balls.  Some look perfectly placed because people don't analyze QBs to death like they do Tyrod.

I don't see the point of these threads.  Pretty much everyone has come to terms that Tyrod is not the long term answer.  It seems pretty obvious the new staff will be going after a QB in the next draft.  There is nothing left to prove about Tyrod.  He is what he is.  There may be a few fanatics that still believe.  There are also a few that act like he is worse than he really is.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The ball was at his stomach not the ground.  He didn't need to go to the ground to catch it.  Placement could have been better but it is what it is.  Look around the league and see that no QB throws 100% perfectly placed balls.  Some look perfectly placed because people don't analyze QBs to death like they do Tyrod.

I don't see the point of these threads.  Pretty much everyone has come to terms that Tyrod is not the long term answer.  It seems pretty obvious the new staff will be going after a QB in the next draft.  There is nothing left to prove about Tyrod.  He is what he is.  There may be a few fanatics that still believe.  There are also a few that act like he is worse than he really is.

Nothing else really needs to be discussed.

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This isn't true at all. McDermott was even called racist by many in the media due to benching him. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

They are going to say the defense did. 

I guess people forget how Tyrod stopped Atlanta from a go ahead score with a goal line stand. It was Tyrod that punched the ball out on the recovered fumble against TB that setup the GW FG. Who can forget Tyrod making all those INTS against that Raiders. And last but not least that beautifully read INT Tyrod made against KC to ice the game. Man! The guy gets no credit around here.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

This isn't true at all. McDermott was even called racist by many in the media due to benching him. 

That's because the national media doesn't pay attention to us.  They just look at numbers and Tyrod's numbers aren't bad but if they actually watched him...they'd understand where all the fans want to bash their heads against the wall when he's playing.  

Yesterday's game, while a win and vastly improved defensive performance, highlighted that the Bills still have serious problems on offense.  These include offensive play calling, run blocking discipline, getting "push" behind runners after first contact, and yes - Tyrod Taylor.  You could as easily have a thread on any of these issues, but this thread is about Tyrod. 

In short, while Tyrod played "good enough" to win against a completely stagnant KC offense, he still:  a) failed to the throw the ball away instead of taking sacks (in situations where he had the time to do so), b) moved INTO pocket pressure unnecessarily, c) was too inaccurate with SHORT passes (leading to incompletions, lower YAC, and WR injuries), d) failed to extend the ball for another yard when he ran out of bounds near the first down marker, e) had a hard time recognizing which receivers would break open on intermediate routes (10 - 20 yards), f) was/is too small to run QB sneaks on short 3rd down or 4th down yardage, and g) repeatedly checked down to RBs behind the line of scrimmage who had less than 50/50 chances of getting back to the line (instead of throwing into the ground at their feet), or checked down on 3rd down to receivers who had no hope of getting a first down (when looking for field goal distance was not the issue).

As to Tyrod's strengths, he makes some plays with his feet that many other QBs could not;  however, a lot (not all, but many) of these plays occur after he's failed to spot open receivers, and/or failed to move effectively in the pocket.  A lot of fans would prefer a QB who didn't have to try to make up for these shortcomings with his legs, because it's just not clear that his running yardage properly compensates for all his sub 200 yard passing efforts.

I agree that Tyrod is good enough to beat a number of teams in the NFL, at least on some days.  I just don't believe that he gives the Bills any hope of beating any of the elite teams.  As it is, I fully expect to lose both games to the Patriots.  That gives us a minimum of 7 losses.  Even if we otherwise run the table (possible, but unlikely), who really thinks we'll get into the playoffs at 9 - 7?  That's the kind of QB Tyrod is:  8-8, 9-7.  Shouldn't fans be demanding that the team set a higher standard for this position?

Our next three games are NE, Colts and Dolphins.  If we are 2-1 over this stretch, I guess you have to start Tyrod to the end (to play for 9-7).  However, if we are 1-2 (or worse), I think will will be time to shut Tyrod down and see if Peterman is worth keeping on the roster next year (as a backup).

Edited by Thurman Kelly
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

Yesterday's game, while a win and vastly improved defensive performance, highlighted that the Bills still have serious problems on offense.  These include offensive play calling, run blocking discipline, getting "push" behind runners after first contact, and yes - Tyrod Taylor.  You could as easily have a thread on any of these issues, but this thread is about Tyrod. 

In short, while Tyrod played "good enough" to win against a completely stagnant KC offense, he still:  a) failed to the throw the ball away instead of taking sacks (in situations where he had the time to do so), b) moved INTO pocket pressure unnecessarily, c) was too inaccurate with SHORT passes (leading to incompletions, lower YAC, and WR injuries), d) failed to extend the ball for another yard when he ran out of bounds near the first down marker, e) had a hard time recognizing which receivers would break open on intermediate routes (10 - 20 yards), f) was/is too small to run QB sneaks on short 3rd down or 4th down yardage, and g) repeatedly checked down to RBs behind the line of scrimmage who had less than 50/50 chances of getting back to the line (instead of throwing into the ground at their feet), or checked down on 3rd down to receivers who had no hope of getting a first down (when looking for field goal distance was not the issue).

As to Tyrod's strengths, he makes some plays with his feet that many other QBs could not;  however, a lot (not all, but many) of these plays occur after he's failed to spot open receivers, and/or failed to move effectively in the pocket.  A lot of fans would prefer a QB who didn't have to try to make up for these shortcomings with his legs, because it's just not clear that his running yardage properly compensates for all his sub 200 yard passing efforts.

I agree that Tyrod is good enough to beat a number of teams in the NFL, at least on some days.  I just don't believe that he gives the Bills any hope of beating any of the elite teams.  As it is, I fully expect to lose both games to the Patriots.  That gives us a minimum of 7 losses.  Even if we otherwise run the table (possible, but unlikely), who really thinks we'll get into the playoffs at 9 - 7?  That's the kind of QB Tyrod is:  8-8, 9-7.  Shouldn't fans be demanding that the team set a higher standard for this position?

Our next three games are NE, Colts and Dolphins.  If we are 2-1 over this stretch, I guess you have to start Tyrod to the end (to play for 9-7).  However, if we are 1-2 (or worse), I think will will be time to shut Tyrod down and see if Peterman is worth keeping on the roster next year (as a backup).

What a bunch of lies......  2 sacks, so didn't throw it away...... What wr injury? Inaccurate short passes......  

Another wow, just wow post.....