Should the Pegulas Cash Out?

Coach Tuesday

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's why it's mind blowing people think they are just going to find someone better than the Pegulas. They are 100% the opposite of Ralph Wilson. They aren't afraid to spend money on a market where they have no hope of recouping their investment. Are the results what we want? No. But it's not for a lack of spending or desire. 

This drought has become a vortex of madness.

Promo what's truly frightening to me is I find myself in agreement with you more often than not as of late. ;)

Good post!

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with everything that you are saying in terms of their competence as owners. There is nothing to support that they are anything but clueless.

With that being said, I see no chance that they sell? Why would they? This wasn’t a money making proposition for them. They have plenty of that. This was what Uber-rich people buy when they get the chance. This is a passion for them. They have no motivation to sell. I just hope that they are smart enough to hire the right people. So far their track record on both teams is abysmal at best.

Can't agree with this.  ALL of the NFL owners want more money--nothing different about Pegula.   Also, and NFL is one of most solid investments ever.  None of these guys bought a toy here...

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Russ Brandon is President of both teams.  How's that going?

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Russ Brandon is connected to both franchises and until he is gone I think we are cursed. 

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

The Pegulas are great. They just need to hire the right president/CEO of sports operations. 

I have been calling for Russ to be fired since I was a teenager... And I'm 31 now.

I am convinced that Russ is the curse.

Keeping/promoting him was a bigtime mistake every time it has happened. Any drought people should be burned at the stake.

That said, absolutely no the Pegs should not sell. They should give McD and Beane 4 or more years and see how it goes. We have never been successful, and now that all the talent is gone, we are at the "low point" in they're tenure. G9tta let them follow through if we let them go this far.

If we were good before Pegs I would agree with OP, but we have basically sucked since the beginning of time.

2 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I truly understand him (others) being emotional and on edge... but sometimes a breather and perspective are in order.

Well, it’s definitely better to consider this a transitional year. McBeane still get a mulligan from me for 2017, just like every other regime in their 1st year. :) I don’t miss anyone they’ve gotten rid of. I won’t apologize for enjoying the 5-2 start, but I won’t get bent out of shape over the losses either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

They chased LaFontaine and Patrick out after about 5 minutes (all secret behind closed doors which reeks of petty nonsense brought on by poor management structure)

Patrick was here for a year and he left when his contract ran out.   The Pegula's newly-hired GM chose to go it alone and they handed him the reins.     

Would it have been better if they meddled in the day-to-day management decisions?   Isn't that what 'fans' B word about the most when it comes to ownership faults, whether in Buffalo or elsewhere?

What puzzles me is:

Golisano had a pretty good team at times even though he was inexperienced and very frugal with spending.

The Rigas's had a pretty good team even though they too were inexperienced and frugal.

The Pegulas may be inexperienced as well, but definitely not frugal.  Why can't they do better than Golisano or Rigas?

The difference between Buffalo and NE is they got lucky in the 6th round and won a lottery ticket QB

That's it.

They can do anything they want because Brady just wins. So they are geniuses and so organized and model organization.

This is a ridiculous thread. I worry that the Pegulas will get discouraged and pull the plug. Then we can kiss the Bills goodbye, pretty much guaranteed.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Funny, i wrote on twitter yesterday (to harrington) that my prediction was Pegula would have the Sabres for sale within a year.  He kind of shot that down and said he will not sell.  But my point regarding the Sabres is that he has tried everything with that club and it just turns to crap.  Terry is a good guy, he's done an amazing job building up Canalside.  I personally don't think he needs the aggravation of the Sabres.  They are hemorrhaging fans, the games don't sell out anymore and they are terribly dull.  I do think he will remain the owner of the Bills and concentrate on them. But jeez, the Sabres have to be giving him serious high blood pressure and ulcers.  Who needs that?

2 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Are you insane? You make it sound like we were the guidepost for successful franchises BEFORE the Pegulas bought the Bills. I remember the Bills of the 70s... 80s... mid 90s until now. The calls for new ownership was rampant during all of those time periods.  The ONLY time (early 90s super bowl years) people of western NY were NOT yammering about this is when we had an elite QB.... see the connection???!!!

PS. it was the same way for the Patriots before Brady too

We also had a solid GM and a solid team.

2 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

We also had a solid GM and a solid team.

No we did not.

Whaley was a GREAT scout and a lousy GM. He put us behind the 8-ball contractually with Dareus, and that's only one of his numerous failures. Second worst was spending two firsts on a WR for a QB that clearly wasn't the answer. Those two moves alone were fireable offenses.

Edited by joesixpack

13 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

No we did not.

Whaley was a GREAT scout and a lousy GM. He put us behind the 8-ball contractually with Dareus, and that's only one of his numerous failures. Second worst was spending two firsts on a WR for a QB that clearly wasn't the answer. Those two moves alone were fireable offenses.

I was speaking of the 90's.

Just now, Lurker said:

Psychologists call this displacement.    Pinning the problem on a guy who sells tickets just because he's been associated with the teams is silly, IMO.    

Silly maybe...

But has been a decision maker for a team during the worst stretch of futility in our history. He is a marketer and has probably succeeded at that, but in the world of football ops he has been terrible by every metric. We keep being told he has no influence until it is proven he did, and he keeps getting promoted. Has been a (very bad) GM, has made (very bad) personnel decisions as well as having major influence on all GM and HC hires for more than a decade.

I would argue it's silly to go to bat for someone who has been terrible for that many years.

Curse or not, the fact that he still works here, especially in a high position, is absolutely rediculous.

Psychologists? Lol Displacement maybe if he had no fault. He is directly responsible for many problems, and involved in many others.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get this talk about the Pegula's being horrible owners.

Many owners don't have extensive background in owning a sports franchise and that's why they aren't running the show and why they have people like Bean.

They hired Rex, realized after two years it wasn't working and fired him. I think that took guts as many other owners would have given him more time.

The Pegula's don't control how the team plays or even what players are signed. Sure they may have input but they are not GM's.

I remembered how worried a lot of us were when Mr. Wilson passed and the Pegula's really did save this franchise and I am so happy they are here to stay in Buffalo.

I don't think the Pegula's will stand for losing. Not after investing $1.4B in this team.

I am just as frustrated as the rest of you but I don't think the Pegula's are to blame at all.

CBF

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Yes, then someone can buy it and move the team. And THEN we'll all be spared your stupid.

So yes. They should cash out.

I'm not sure you are the worst poster on TSW......there are some really bad ones that just get less attention........but you've certainly fallen off a cliff in terms of quality of takes.......just atrocious.:lol: ("CTE in a living poster" was a great line by Kelly)

I don't think the Pegula's should sell the team but Coach Tuesday is dead on about their other issues and that being the case the exasperation is certainly understandable.

The most salient point in a post loaded with dead on assessments is probably how easily swayed they are in interviewing managerial candidates when they know nothing about the field they are hiring for.    When you run multi-faceted businesses you let people who understand how to hire for them do the work.   If you are the Mara's or the Rooney's you do it yourself.   If you are the Pegula's you should turn that over to someone who understands the game.......simple as that.

• Like (+1) 1