Should the Pegulas Cash Out?

Coach Tuesday

BREAKING NEWS: just talked to my family and guests here. We will try to pool all of our  401ks, children's college funds, savings/checking accounts, and some are willing to sell sperm, eggs and plasma to get the money needed to take the team from the Pegulas. We figured we are only 1.5 billion short and will do a Fundme for that. Hang tight New York!!!!

PS I forgot to add taking back the bottles!!

Edited by aceman_16

I really don't see the Pegulas selling the Bills or Sabres anytime soon because there is always money to be made no matter how bad and how long both of their teams suck.

Same reason why Trump was salty after losing out to the Pegulas because owning an NFL franchise is something all billionaires covet.

18 hours ago, SoTier said:

Who would that be?  Just because they've been employed in some capacity by football teams for several years doesn't necessarily make them "FOOTBALL people".  Beane's experience is in team administration, mostly in personnel (salaries/benies/insurance) and operations (logistics).  He had 1 year of experience as an assistant GM.  McDermott has been a defensive coordinator on two teams for about 7 years, again.  Neither has had more than some peripheral participation in player evaluation and selection, and certainly no responsibility for it. 

Thats not quite true on Beane or McDermott. 

Brane he was named asst. GM before the 2015 season, so he spent 2 years as asst. GM. But before aghast he was the director of football operations for 7 years. 

He climed the football operations and personnel ranks for many many years. He's held scouting responsibilities, put together draft boards, done player evaluations for both college and pro, made NFL trades, negotiated contracts, developed budgets, done CBA compliance and has basically been trained in almost every area of running an NFL team. 

To me that's a great quality for a GM to have.

A GM is usually the guy who runs the entire organization. Sometimes a guy coming from just a scouting background or just a money management background don't have the proper skills necessary to run an entire organization. That is not the case with Beane. He knows every aspect of running an NFL team. 

He also seemed to recognize that he doesn't have as strong a scouting background as guy's who have spent their entire career in scouting, so he put an excellent, very experienced front office, personnel and scouting staff around him that should give him every chance to succeed. 

McDermott has also worked his way up for almost 20 years. He played football in college, then worked as a graduate assistant to the head coach. He then moved to the NFL, starting in scouting. Until Andy Reid got to know him and took a special interest. He named him his assistant to the head coach, where Reid began training him in every aspect of being a head coach. He then worked his way up the ranks on the defensive side of the ball for 8 years, holding positions as quality control, defensive assistant, defensive backs, secondary, linebackers and finally defensive coordinator. He was a D.C. for 8 years (where he had a top 10 defense in 4 of the last 5 years) before finally getting his shot as a head coach. 

Both guys have spent their entire lives/careers in football, working their way up from the bottom with hard work and dedication. Neither were just handed jobs because of nepotism. They've earned everything they got. 

14 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Pegulas “back the wrong horse” with amazing consistency.  Like, every time.

....agree...they attempted to atone for their miSTEAKS (oops, mistakes) and obviously missed the boat AGAIN by not hiring you.....write the check, buy the slugs out and take US to the promised land.......

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Don't care about the CCG's.......don't care to discuss the David Garrrard's......but most of the CCG losers were also picked outside of the top 8.

Regarding the guys that won those CCG's, making and losing SB's........McNabb, Ryan, Cam and Peyton reached and lost a combined 5 of the SB's in that time since Brady won his first.

They are far outnumbered on that losing ledger.....not just by QB's picked outside the top 8......but in the second round or later........Kurt Warner(2x), Brady(2x) Gannon, Delhomme, Grossman, Hasselbeck, Kaepernick and Russell Wilson.

Better question for you:

How many QB's have been picked in the top 8 since 2000 and what % of those players have made it to SB's? 

Wait so making it to a championship game is irrelevant, but making it to a SB matters? You know you can't get to one without the other right?

I guess Luck wasn't worth the #1 pick because he met the GOAT HC and QB in the playoffs every year and didn't get to the big one yet.

Thats silly.

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Wait so making it to a championship game is irrelevant, but making it to a SB matters? You know you can't get to one without the other right?

I guess Luck wasn't worth the #1 pick because he met the GOAT HC and QB in the playoffs every year and didn't get to the big one yet.

Thats silly.

Where's your list?

That's what I thought.

Keep trollin'.:lol:

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Where's your list?

That's what I thought.

Keep trollin'.:lol:

I'm not trolling. I think not including the QB's who got to the game before the Super Bowl is silly. When Brady has appeared in 7 Super Bowls out of the last 17, no wonder it's one sided to non-first rounders.

You constantly make these arbitrary distinctions which support your points by omission. It's effective, but not logical.

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

I'm not trolling. I think not including the QB's who got to the game before the Super Bowl is silly. When Brady has appeared in 7 Super Bowls out of the last 17, no wonder it's one sided to non-first rounders.

You constantly make these arbitrary distinctions which support your points by omission. It's effective, but not logical.

Show us the decisive list that proves your point............you don't because it doesn't.

Reality is that drafting in their mediocre spot hasn't prevented the Bills from getting better.........and that is the argument for tanking.

There are a lot of very vocal, far sighted Bills fans with no real perspective on the rest of the league.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:49 AM, May Day 10 said:

nobody really knows.  it was all sealed via ndc.

the facts are .. they hired him to run the sabres.  then he was vanquished just 2 or 3 months later.  they hired him with a lot of fanfare... and publicly he was saying all the right things.  his philosophies on how to build the organization were music to my ears.  and he had craig patrick coaching him up.

it appears that his authority was limited when the chips were down at the trade deadline.  there was a major systemic disagreement and he bounced.  pegula, fearing the public backlash of a divide with a nearly flawless and universally popular spprts figure, likely bought his silence on the matter.   imo, this, along with some of pegulas public statements since reeks of pegula meddling.  

there has been a pettiness on the sabres side too.  lafontaine is scrubbed from highlight videos they show.  they had a bobblehead voting process.  i and a cpuple others voted a lot for lafontaine.  he didnt "make" the final 10.  a winner like pat kaleta was there... and housley.  

Interesting.  My guess had been that Pat was not on board with the tanking plan - and left because of that.  A total guess on my part.

Didn't know about the what definitely seems to be pettiness if they don't have him in highlight videos or to make the final 10. 

20 minutes ago, bbb said:

Interesting.  My guess had been that Pat was not on board with the tanking plan - and left because of that.  A total guess on my part.

Didn't know about the what definitely seems to be pettiness if they don't have him in highlight videos or to make the final 10. 

I seem to recall a rumor, at the time (propagated by Bucky Gleason as I recall) that LaFontaine was somehow disrespectful toward Kim Pegula.  My impression was that it was disrespectful in a "wtf is she doing here?" sort of way.  

Edited by Buftex

2 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I seem to recall a rumor, at the time (propagated by Bucky Gleason as I recall) that LaFontaine was somehow disrespectful toward Kim Pegula.  My impression was that it was disrespectful in a "wtf is she doing here?" sort of way.  

Hmmm.  Reminiscent of Bill Polian's departure. 

On 11/21/2017 at 7:24 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Let me start by saying that I really like the Pegulas as people - they seem like good citizens and possess integrity and beneficence.  And yes, we as fans owe them gratitude for keeping both the Bills and Sabres afloat and in Buffalo.

All of that said, they are horrible owners.  They are well-intentioned and want to win, but clearly have no idea how to do it.  They have empowered the wrong people at the wrong times.  They have proven to be susceptible to good interviews at the expense of more sophisticated due diligence.  They have employed bizarre organizational structures that have undermined the few quality hires they have made.  They have supported borderline insane team building strategies that have resulted in a near-impossible run of sustained failure.  There does not seem to be any end to this trend on the horizon and I’m really struggling to understand what the plan is for turning the Bills and Sabres into winning franchises.  Certainly, pairing first-time GMs with first-time coaches has failed miserably for both teams and, in the case of the Bills, the decision to expel elite talent, rather than maximizing and supporting the talent on hand with quality coaching and added depth, has bombed in spectacular fashion.

In a word, they have destroyed two sports franchises.

I’m wondering if it’s time for Kim and Terry to look for sale partners for one or both teams.  Perhaps they could sell a majority stake and become passive minority owners (although the leagues may have some restrictions on this) or perhaps they should just sell outright.  I’d imagine at this point their investments have appreciated nicely.  Perhaps it is time for them to reap some of those gains and turn the businesses over to individuals or entities that know what they’re doing.

I know some of you will respond to let me know how ungrateful I am.  That’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinions.  My opinion is that the fans here deserve more than just “we kept the franchises in Buffalo” - rather, the fans, who give their hard-earned dollars to billionaires, deserve competence. We’re not getting competence.

Need to stop giving billionaires money for thier crap product. People need to stop going to games and buying Bills merchandise. Maybe when thier pocket is affected they will produce a product worth paying for. Untill the bottem line is messed with why would they care if the team wins or loses. 

On 11/23/2017 at 6:22 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Show us the decisive list that proves your point............you don't because it doesn't.

Reality is that drafting in their mediocre spot hasn't prevented the Bills from getting better.........and that is the argument for tanking.

There are a lot of very vocal, far sighted Bills fans with no real perspective on the rest of the league.

Okay, last 10 years.

2016 NFC Ryan-Rodgers

2015 NFC Palmer-Cam

2014 NFC Wilson-Rodgers

2013 NFC Wilson-Kaep

2012 NFC Kaep-Ryan

2011 NFC Eli-Smith

2010 NFC Rodgers-Cutler

2009 NFC Brees-Favre

2008 NFC Warner-McNabb

2007 NFC Eli-Favre

So in bold are the QB's picked in the top 11.  Seven in total.  Compared to the 6 not picked in the top 11.

Looking good so far.

2016 AFC Brady-Ben

2015 AFC Peyton-Brady

2014 AFC Brady-Luck

2013 AFC Peyton-Brady

2012 AFC Flacco-Brady

2011 AFC Flacco-Brady

2010 AFC Ben-Sanchez

2009 AFC Peyton-Sanchez

2008 AFC Ben-Flacco

2007 AFC Rivers-Brady

So in the bold are the QB's picked top in the top 11.  5 in total.  Compared to the 3 not picked in the top 11.

Even with Brady and to a lesser extent Wilson skewing the numbers, the conclusion is clear.  Top 1st round pick QB's are the ones who go deeper into the post season.  And before you go "how many top 1st round QB's bust," remember that 100x more QB's are drafted rounds 2-7 that flame out.

Thanks for playing. Bad 'ol BADOL.

Edited by jmc12290

They have are acutally making money in a small market with both franchises.  If the mogul who's wife has a liking to the area decides to sell that would send a message that this region is not profitable as a major sports city.  They sell the team leaves.  That goes for the sabres or Bills

14 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Okay, last 10 years.

2016 NFC Ryan-Rodgers

2015 NFC Palmer-Cam

2014 NFC Wilson-Rodgers

2013 NFC Wilson-Kaep

2012 NFC Kaep-Ryan

2011 NFC Eli-Smith

2010 NFC Rodgers-Cutler

2009 NFC Brees-Favre

2008 NFC Warner-McNabb

2007 NFC Eli-Favre

So in bold are the QB's picked in the top 11.  Seven in total.  Compared to the 6 not picked in the top 11.

Looking good so far.

2016 AFC Brady-Ben

2015 AFC Peyton-Brady

2014 AFC Brady-Luck

2013 AFC Peyton-Brady

2012 AFC Flacco-Brady

2011 AFC Flacco-Brady

2010 AFC Ben-Sanchez

2009 AFC Peyton-Sanchez

2008 AFC Ben-Flacco

2007 AFC Rivers-Brady

So in the bold are the QB's picked top in the top 11.  5 in total.  Compared to the 3 not picked in the top 11.

Even with Brady and to a lesser extent Wilson skewing the numbers, the conclusion is clear.  Top 1st round pick QB's are the ones who go deeper into the post season.  And before you go "how many top 1st round QB's bust," remember that 100x more QB's are drafted rounds 2-7 that flame out.

Thanks for playing. Bad 'ol BADOL.

OMG you are dense.:lol:

Do you NOT understand the concept of why "picked in the top 8" matters and top 11 does NOT?

THE BILLS HAVE DRAFTED IN THE TOP 11 picks of round one EIGHT TIMES during the drought.:doh:

The narrative behind tanking is that the Bills haven't had sufficient opportunity to get a franchise QB......you know.......because they haven't been drafting high enough.

Also you omitted the early part of the 2000's when Brady began winning SB's.......that's the context because the goal is to WIN A SB.........Brady, Eli, Big Ben, Brees......that's 4 of the active SB winners drafted in that era........it MATTERS.:doh:

Hey.......and btw Tyrod Taylor isn't 7 years older than Nate Peterman..........Peterman is old for a rookie, entering the league at 23.   He's less than 5 years younger than Tyrod.   Just pointing out another of your poor takes.   If you want to be taken seriously.....start with your awful stat game......it's weak as !@#$.B-)

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

OMG you are dense.:lol:

Do you NOT understand the concept of why "picked in the top 8" matters and top 11 does NOT?

THE BILLS HAVE DRAFTED IN THE TOP 11 picks of round one EIGHT TIMES during the drought.:doh:

The narrative behind tanking is that the Bills haven't had sufficient opportunity to get a franchise QB......you know.......because they haven't been drafting high enough.

Also you omitted the early part of the 2000's when Brady began winning SB's.......that's the context because the goal is to WIN A SB.........Brady, Eli, Big Ben, Brees......that's 4 of the active SB winners drafted in that era........it MATTERS.:doh:

Hey.......and btw Tyrod Taylor isn't 7 years older than Nate Peterman..........Peterman is old for a rookie, entering the league at 23.   He's less than 5 years younger than Tyrod.   Just pointing out another of your poor takes.   If you want to be taken seriously.....start with your awful stat game......it's weak as !@#$.B-)

How many years more has TT been in the league?  

I omitted doing 20 years of research because the first 10 was sufficient to blow your take out of the water.

You're acting like a caricature of yourself right now.

Edited by jmc12290

19 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

How many years more has TT been in the league?  

You're acting like a caricature of yourself right now.

You won't get to 7 that way either.

Do you even know what you are bitching about in this thread?

The Bills have never drafted a QB with a top 11 pick........hell they've never even taken one with their originally slotted first 1st round pick in any draft or traded up above their originally slotted first round pick to get one in any draft.

What does that mean?

NEVER ALL IN.

The issue isn't a need to be a worse team..........they've passed on Brady and Brees and Russell Wilson and stupidly traded up for a QB they weren't all-in on named JP Losman and subsequently missed their chance at (passing on)Aaron Rodgers...........those will arguably end up being the top 4 QB's of what will be the drought era. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You won't get to 7 that way either.

Do you even know what you are bitching about in this thread?

The Bills have never drafted a QB with a top 11 pick........hell they've never even taken one with their originally slotted first 1st round pick in any draft or traded up above their originally slotted first round pick to get one in any draft.

What does that mean?

NEVER ALL IN.

The issue isn't a need to be a worse team..........they've passed on Brady and Brees and Russell Wilson and stupidly traded up for a QB they weren't all-in on named JP Losman and subsequently missed their chance at (passing on)Aaron Rodgers...........those will arguably end up being the top 4 QB's of what will be the drought era. 

Yes, and 27 other teams will have missed out on them as well.  But some of those teams have found other QB's.

I want a franchise QB.  An All-Timer would be nice, but those are harder to come by.  

....Pegula should just call Modell Night Moving & Storage and get this club the hell outta here.......Pegula spent $1.4 BIL for Bills, $165 mil for Sabres, also purchased the Bandits and Amerks, has invested hundreds of millions in Buffalo development, atoned for his mistakes by opening the check book wide for Bills/Sabres FO, Admin as well as coaching...he has CLEARLY defined and earned the label of clueless owner.......only someone clueless would piss away all of that loot to elicit threads like this about "cashing in"......and I thought BBMB was the mecca of keyboard cowardly yipsters......as Rowdy Yates would say, "head 'em up and move 'em out".....day care supervision has failed us..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1