Jump to content

This Roster Will Take 2-3 Years To Fix


ndirish1978
 Share

Recommended Posts

I originally put this in another thread, then, because I am a special snowflake I erased the post and decided my 5 minutes of effort was worthy of it's own thread. This team will be devoid of talent for a while. All those picks we have now are going to get packaged to try and get the 2nd pick of the draft. As a result, if we land 3 starters in next year's draft I would be shocked. We have a tremendous need of at least 10 new players just to field a non-trash roster. Be prepared to start next season looking at the roster and saying "who is that starter?"

 

Positions that will have to be addressed this offseason are in red.

 

Offense - we have FIVE positions of extreme need with one decent player likely being replaced by someone on the roster.

 

QB -Tyrod - GONE

RB - Shady - Over 30 and has no backup

WR - Kelvin Benjamin - 1 more year on contract

WR - Jordan Matthews - Injured and would need to be re-signed or replaced 

WR - Zay Jones - Here for the foreseeable future

TE - Charles Clay - perennially injured. Back ups are not great. Needs to be replaced

T - Cordy Glenn - Can't find the field because of injury - Big cap number - Might be supplanted by Dawkins

G - Richie Incognito - 34 yrs old

C - Eric Wood - 31 - signed an extension this offseason

G - Vlad the Turnstile - Please get him off my team. Miller is equally bad. 

T - Jordan Mills - See Vlad above

 

Defense - Ideally we would replace the whole D-Line. Realistically - we're stuck with at least 2 of them. That leaves us with FIVE immediate needs on D. 

 

DE - Shaq Lawson - He's not going anywhere next year

DT - Adolphus Washington - Should be a rotational player, but will start here next year.

DT - Kyle Williams - Will retire

DE - Jerry Hughes - Poor production, can't survive being the only pass rushing threat. Should be moved, but will stay because who else do we have- unless we manage to trade him.

OLB - Lorenzo Alexander - Nice guy, shouldn't be starting

MLB - Preston Brown - Nope

OLB - Ramon Humber - Average, needs to be replaced. Matt Milano should be depth, not a starter

CB - Tre White - So far this is the first player on the team I'm happy about

CB - EJ Gaines/Shareece Wright - Gaines can't stay healthy and Wright is not amazing

S - Jordan Poyer - Starter

S - Micah Hyde - Starter

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I originally put this in another thread, then, because I am a special snowflake I erased the post and decided my 5 minutes of effort was worthy of it's own thread. This team will be devoid of talent for a while. All those picks we have now are going to get packaged to try and get the 2nd pick of the draft. As a result, if we land 3 starters in next year's draft I would be shocked. We have a tremendous need of at least 10 new players just to field a non-trash roster. Be prepared to start next season looking at the roster and saying "who is that starter?"

 

Positions that will have to be addressed this offseason are in red.

 

Offense - we have FIVE positions of extreme need with one decent player likely being replaced by someone on the roster.

 

QB -Tyrod - GONE

RB - Shady - Over 30 and has no backup

WR - Kelvin Benjamin - 1 more year on contract

WR - Jordan Matthews - Injured and would need to be re-signed or replaced 

WR - Zay Jones - Here for the foreseeable future

TE - Charles Clay - perennially injured. Back ups are not great. Needs to be replaced

T - Cordy Glenn - Can't find the field because of injury - Big cap number - Might be supplanted by Dawkins

G - Richie Incognito - 34 yrs old

C - Eric Wood - 31 - signed an extension this offseason

G - Vlad the Turnstile - Please get him off my team. Miller is equally bad. 

T - Jordan Mills - See Vlad above

 

Defense - Ideally we would replace the whole D-Line. Realistically - we're stuck with at least 2 of them. That leaves us with FIVE immediate needs on D. 

 

DE - Shaq Lawson - He's not going anywhere next year

DT - Adolphus Washington - Should be a rotational player, but will start here next year.

DT - Kyle Williams - Will retire

DE - Jerry Hughes - Poor production, can't survive being the only pass rushing threat. Should be moved, but will stay because who else do we have- unless we manage to trade him.

OLB - Lorenzo Alexander - Nice guy, shouldn't be starting

MLB - Preston Brown - Nope

OLB - Ramon Humber - Average, needs to be replaced. Matt Milano should be depth, not a starter

CB - Tre White - So far this is the first player on the team I'm happy about

CB - EJ Gaines/Shareece Wright - Gaines can't stay healthy and Wright is not amazing

S - Jordan Poyer - Starter

S - Micah Hyde - Starter

 Shady is not OVER 30

 

he is 29 and a fresh 29 who doesn't take too many big hits

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not so sure. We have a bunch of high picks. We could sign 3-4 solid players in free agency. And if we get rid of a couple more of our stars for sixth rounders, those picks could really pan out. 

Sounds like we will need to trade both picks out of the first round to cover all these holes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Plenty of time for us to spend the next few years signing and drafting guys for this regime’s schemes only to hire new coaches that will want to run something entirely different.

This is what has me the most concerned of all honestly. Does our fan base, media and owner have the patience?

Edited by Real McCoy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

This is what has me the most concerned of all honestly. Does our fan base, media and owner have the patience?

This is why we keep having to reset the timer. We are going to need to sit with this combo for at least 2-3 more years 

 

9 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Clay's contract was restructured and he''s going to be here for 2 more years..     There is no cap saving getting rid of him next year and the he will have almost 5 million in dead money in 19 if cut.

They don't really seem to care about dead cap space though. Are you happy with him as a starter? Cause he's never on the field. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Plenty of time for us to spend the next few years signing and drafting guys for this regime’s schemes only to hire new coaches that will want to run something entirely different.

Look at the Eagles. Where were they three years ago? Hmmmmm. . . . . Bill are in year 1 of new regime. I for one will trust the process.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not so sure. We have a bunch of high picks. We could sign 3-4 solid players in free agency. And if we get rid of a couple more of our stars for sixth rounders, those picks could really pan out. 

If you were an elite FA (and why would the Bills want anything but elite?), would you sign with this mess?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not so sure. We have a bunch of high picks. We could sign 3-4 solid players in free agency. And if we get rid of a couple more of our stars for sixth rounders, those picks could really pan out. 

We are fresh out of "Whaley mistakes". The last one was shipped to Jacksonville.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

Cool!

 

Who's going to resume the rebuild when McD is gone?    

 

Mike McCoy for HC in 2020!

 

I dunno, I wasn't complaining, just pointing out that our roster has tons of holes and we're going to have to be patient. I know everyone here is as bummed as I am about sucking this year, but that's not likely to change overnight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

This thread could have been any one of the last 15 years. We are always 2-3 years away....

 

See Bangarang's post. This thread wasn't a promise, it was an observation. We are always multiple years away from being decent because we keep switching coaches and systems. I don't care how "multiple" your D is, a 3-4 OLB isn't a 4-3 OLB and they can't just switch over to playing DE. They committed to this regime, now we're all going to have to sit here and prepare to stink for at least 2-3 more years while they assemble the roster they want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...