Lets just go for Kirk Cousins in the offseason

Buffalo03

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

No we arent clueless we realize that stats dont always tell the whole story. Cousins does not win. Wins are what counts not 5000 yards passing. Converting a 3rd down late in the game is far more important to Wins and losses than throwing for 350 yards. 

Cousins is not good in the red zone, is not good when the team needs him late or in close games. There is a reason why he has a .452 win percentage. He makes boneheaded decisions at the wrong times in games.

Some people are great when the chips are down and the team needs a play some aren't. Cousins isn't. He will get paid and will put up huge numbers and will continue to have a mediocre to poor record. Just let it be elsewhere.

And the Saints were 7-9 the last 3 seasons before this one, I guess Brees sucks.   The last two years the Cousins led Redskins were 9-7 and 8-7-1.  He is having another great year and the defense is getting smoked by the best teams in the league.  Not his fault.

7 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

And the Saints were 7-9 the last 3 seasons before this one, I guess Brees sucks.   The last two years the Cousins led Redskins were 9-7 and 8-7-1.  He is having another great year and the defense is getting smoked by the best teams in the league.  Not his fault.

The difference is Brees won a super bowl and proved he was capable of doing it many years in the past. He was on some great teams with great records for many years. Cousins has yet to show anything close to that and likely won't.

Edited by matter2003

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
19 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The difference is Brees won a super bowl and proved he was capable of doing it many years in the past. He was on some great teams with great records for many years. Cousins has yet to show anything close to that and likely won't.

Yet when he didn't have a decent team around him, Brees was consistent at having a losing record.  Now Cousins is balling for a 3rd year in a row while his defense and running game are among the worst in the league but it is his fault.  He a loser who this year has lost to teams with a combined record of 45-15.  It is all on him.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Yet when he didn't have a decent team around him, Brees was consistent at having a losing record.  Now Cousins is balling for a 3rd year in a row while his defense and running game are among the worst in the league but it is his fault.  He a loser who this year has lost to teams with a combined record of 45-15.  It is all on him.

We can argue back and forth for days on this but the bottom line when I watch Cousins in a lot of those games is he has chances to put teams away or to make plays to win the game and doesn't do it.  I'm not the only one who sees this, there are reasons why the Redskins are hesitant to offer him a long term deal and why many others will be also.  If you want elite money you better help a team get an elite record, and he doesn't.  If he can't win the way things are now, how can he win on a team that will be hampered long term with their salary cap based on how much money they are paying him?

It's never all on one player, but in critical game situations he comes up small.

Edited by matter2003

20 hours ago, Bakin said:

I love how excuses for other team's QBs are ok and we should pay them 30$ M for mediocrity. 

I think I read somewhere that Cousins leads the league in Red Zone interceptions?? Not sure if true but some skins fan told me this. 

Of course, our own QB, with his limitations, should be bagging groceries. 

Cousins has 5 INTs total on the year. So even if your stat is accurate it's a bit overstated imo.

I like Cousins, but I doubt he has much success here as the roster is currently constructed. He'd definitely need some help.

17 hours ago, the skycap said:

Why can't we draft our own guy and let him learn behind Cousins? Just look at the current roster Cousins is playing with. Second and third string Oline, second and 3rd string receivers. Horrible defense. I believe that this Bills team as constructed now with starters being healthy and Cousins, could compete for SB. Cousins is a baller. Let the drafted QB, like a Josh Allen, learn from Cousins for a couple seasons 

Sounds like our Oline and Defense. 

17 hours ago, JM57 said:

Reading that, he's talking about those guys in terms of size, sure. But then he mentions arm strength and the scheme they play in and whether or not they can or do audible. Rudolph probably has the weakest arm out of the 4, and I've seen multiple mentions of the Oklahoma State offense being a detriment to his draft stock.

Then he goes into intangibles which is where I think Mayfield is going to make good GMs drool. Yeah, he's done some silly stuff like the crotch grab, but that stuff can be corrected with a little more maturity. He's got that fiery leadership style. Intangibles is where Rosen will probably get dinged by teams. 

Agree on Rosen.  I'm not a huge fan, but he has potential.  Mayfield I'm not sure about.  Maturing is not a given for anyone.  The crotch grab was the recent thing with him not the only thing.  Is he a Beane type?  Arrested for public intoxication, resisting arrest and fleeing an officer; And he's not a big guy.  Don't get your hopes up.

7 hours ago, purple haze said:

Agree on Rosen.  I'm not a huge fan, but he has potential.  Mayfield I'm not sure about.  Maturing is not a given for anyone.  The crotch grab was the recent thing with him not the only thing.  Is he a Beane type?  Arrested for public intoxication, resisting arrest and fleeing an officer; And he's not a big guy.  Don't get your hopes up.

Why would I get my hopes up, I'm a Bills fan.

It's tough talking about these guys because we expect them to be perfectly mature adults coming out of college but the truth is the majority are still 20-22 years old when they come into the league. Most of us would be lying if we claimed that we were as mature at 21 or 22 as we are at (in my case) 29 or older. Most people calm down as they move through their 20s and learn to harness their emotions if they haven't already, you know?

10 hours ago, JM57 said:

Why would I get my hopes up, I'm a Bills fan.

It's tough talking about these guys because we expect them to be perfectly mature adults coming out of college but the truth is the majority are still 20-22 years old when they come into the league. Most of us would be lying if we claimed that we were as mature at 21 or 22 as we are at (in my case) 29 or older. Most people calm down as they move through their 20s and learn to harness their emotions if they haven't already, you know?

True. I don't disagree.   But look at how McD and Beane operate and listen to what they say is important to them.   I don't think QB is a position they will gamble on gained maturity unless the guy is a rare talent.  I don't see Mayfield as a rare talent; a good talent, but not rare in any sense.  If the Bills already had an established culture then I could see it, like Carolina when they took Cam.  

He needed to mature, but he had rare talent And the Panthers, although having a poor season, had a stable environment with a lot of stretches of success.  Bills can't afford to take chances.  Not at the QB position.  Still too early in the rebuild.

On 11/19/2017 at 10:16 PM, Buffalo03 said:

You won't have to pay him that much money. He would only make that much money by being on the franchise tag for a 3rd straight year, otherwise we could get him for between $20-$25 million a season. I wouldn't call him a little above average either. He's a fairly good QB if you ask me

They cant tag him again- either they sign him to a contract or hes an UFA.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:38 AM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Brees was given an actual good defence and a great running game for the 1st time in 3 years......that is why NO is playoff bound and than some....

On 11/19/2017 at 7:11 PM, billsfan_34 said:

No thanks- 30-35 mil a year for a qb that is a little above average. Lets draft our guy

Maybe we should stop trying to cheap Charlie the most important position.

I could he on board with going after Cousins and use all those draft picks on O Line, WR, and defense.

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

They cant tag him again- either they sign him to a contract or hes an UFA.

Not true:

As Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk notes, the Redskins would be highly unlikely to use the franchise tag again in 2018 as it would come with a 44% raise over his 2017 salary, meaning they would have to pay Cousins a $34.5 million salary. Instead, the Redskins could use the transitiontag. That comes with a 20% raise and would bump his salary to $28.8 million.”

so while its not likely, Washington does have the option. 

• Like (+1) 1

Besides Jordan reed, Kirk has been working with crap WR's. Reed is often injured, Pryor is out and wasn't good, crowder just turned it up. And they are on like reserves for an offensive line. I wasn't a fan of him before but I have watched a lot of skins games this year and he is really making things happen with less talent than buffalo has on offense and maybe a worse line.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:13 AM, matter2003 said:

Do you ever wonder why some QBs always put up great numbers but have crappy records? I mean they did make the playoffs the year before but it wasnt like they were 12-4 or something...

Cousins just doesn't seem to elevate his team or raise others level of play. Its hard to judge but making plays at key times of a game will often decide who wins and who loses. Cousins is not very good during this time, henceforth why his record is near .500...putting up 350 yards passing a game is all well and good but converting on a key 3rd down late in the game is going to decide whether you win or lose more times than passing for a lot of yards...he hasnt gotten it done in crunch time...hes not that much different from Taylor in that regard.

Cousins is 23-28-1 in his career as a starting QB. He wins 45% of his games. There is a reason for that. Its hard to exactly pinpoint but it's a thing...he is not that guy who is going to lead a team to a great record...he is going to put up tons of yards in the early part of the game but when you need a drive or a play late he is going to let you down. Not what we need here. He is the opposite of Aaron Rodgers in this regard. 

Taylor's 19-18 in comparison as a starting QB.

While there could be a correlation made between the Redskins record, and Cousins not being a “winning quarterback”, he’s not necessarily the reason for it.

you might be right that he’s not a winner, but you have other evidence than “his team doesn’t win, and he doesn’t look like a winner to me”. 

Is Bortles a better quarterback than Cousins because the Jaguars are winning? Or Keenum in Minnesota? Or that Derek Carr is suddenly a bad quarterback because of how the Raiders are playing? 

Again, don’t get me wrong, Quarterback is the most important position on a football team, easily. But there are also 52 other guys on the roster who impact the whole, not to mention an entire staff that is coaching those players (either to their benefit or their demise).

On 11/21/2017 at 10:28 AM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Cousins has put up great numbers for 3 straight years now.  He is a very good, bordering on great QB.  The Redskins are allowing the 2nd most points per game against in the league and their running game is 24th in the league in yards per rush.  The Redskins have also had several injuries on the offensive line, yet Cousins is still playing great.

People who wouldn't want Cousins on this team are clueless.  We would instantly have a passing game that we haven't seen since the days of Kelly.  He could legit, walk in here next year and throw for 4,500-5,000 yards and 25-30 TD's.  It is actually likely his numbers would be in that range.  Drew freaking Brees didn't have success the last few years because he was in a similar situation as Cousins is now.  If you put a team around Cousins, you are going to the playoffs and could become a Super Bowl contender.

Every game the Redskins have lost this year, their defense has allowed more than 30 points except for the Chiefs where they gave up 29.  Their 6 losses are to the Vikings, the Cowboys, the Saints, the Chiefs in week 4 when they were absolutely on fire and the best team in the league, and 2 to the 9-1 Eagles.  Again the Redskins troubles have absolutely nothing to do with Cousins.  If we were lucky enough to get him, Bills fans should be doing back flips.

I will be doing back flips with ya buddy!

To get a veteran QB that is only getting better would be huge, it would be like getting Drew Brees in his prime.

Hopefully McDermott can sell him on the process.

Maybe they can connect on faith and Kirk will want to come to Buffalo.

"First of all, what rarely ever gets reported is that ultimately this decision is not about anything more importantly than my faith," Cousins said. "My faith is ultimately driving this decision. Do I feel like the Lord is leading me to make this decision or that decision and where does he give me peace?"

https://www.christianpost.com/news/kirk-cousins-says-faith-biggest-influence-in-career-reason-for-turning-down-53m-contract-192941/

Kirk, this is God , I want you to play for the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Cousins is better for teams ready to compete for 10 win seasons.  He's a bit like Tyrod+. He is capable of winning a few games if your supporting cast is very good. He

isn't capable of elevating a team to another level like Deshaun Watson did with Texans. 

And right now we don't have the supporting cast, after Brandon Beane & McDermott started giving away our young talented players to other teams for nothing.  We are left with a bunch of old guys ready to retire in a year or two. And we gotta replace them too!  This wasn't a rebuild job. This was a frickin  ruin the franchise job. We're crap again after their gifts to other teams. and now we gotta build talent back up again. Just draft a good young QB along with getting better coaching staff. 

After seeing the way their hires have performed, I am now skeptical of the judgement of McDermott and Beane. Their ability to evaluate and distinguish talent. They have not shown that they have made good decisions in so many instances. It began with coaching hires. And came the idiotic trades. And mid-season benching that didn't have team support. Kelvin Benjamin was a "my bad"  let me make it up to you trade by Beane. It's like bringing flowers to your wife after she found out you've been cheating on her all along. 

Cousins will only add to frustrations. Yes team will be better, but he won't bring us more wins. Just keep drafting till we find one.

• Like (+1) 2