Dareus is killing it for the Jags

Klaista2k

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

How much has the defense dropped off since he left? 

I understand your points and don't necessarily disagree, just goes to show tough decisions about skill, effort and how decisions are perceived by the rest of the team are, well, tough! 

I don’t think Dareus alone caused the horrible drop off we’ve seen. Our LBs are more to blame than any other unit. I like the trade because I am assuming they will go after a big DT in free agency, probably Star Lotulelei. Which would mean it was just a decision for the future that we have to weather for half a season. If they don’t go after a DT in free agency or high in the draft there will be rightfully be questions about this move.

Haven't read all the way through this thread, but...

Everyone agrees Dareus was valuable in terms of stopping the run.

That doesn't change the fact that he is a one-dimensional player getting about 30--40% of the snaps per week, and it was unwise and unsustainable for the Bills to continue to pay his bloated contracted for those contributions, ESPECIALLY considering that he is one run-in with the law away from a long suspension and doesn't have a work ethic.

• Like (+1) 1

I think if I were Beane and McD I may have gone to him and told him that he needs to restructure his contract.  And if he had done so I would have kept him. The guy you pay the most money to has to be a guy that sets an example for the rest of his team.  Guys like Gretzky and Jordan I'll bet never showed up late to a game.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

That doesn't change the fact that he is a one-dimensional player getting about 30--40% of the snaps per week, and it was unwise and unsustainable for the Bills to continue to pay his bloated contracted for those contributions, ESPECIALLY considering that he is one run-in with the law away from a long suspension and doesn't have a work ethic.

That's ridiculous. He played a 1 gap penetrator for Jim Schwartz. Marcell is whatever you need him to be.

It's incredibly naive to think a rotational DT is the difference between a first and last place run defense. He's not even a starter in Jacksonville. It's also silly to think Dareus playing twenty-something snaps would have stopped the Saints from rushing for ~300 on us. This is what true BBFS looks like. Exaggerate the loss of every player and whip yourself into hysterics over what could have been. I just hope Dareus doesn't manage to get a sack, some people around here might off themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, PolishDave said:

Move on to what?

Becoming the worst run defense in the NFL?

Jimmity crickets.

Why the F would you want a lazy over paid bum on your team?  That's what you move on from.  He didn't want to be in Buffalo.   He had the exact same problem Lynch had when he was here.  This team is rebuilding and wasn't going anywhere anyway.  Perfect time to unload the dead weight eating up your cap space.

Edited by Azucho98

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The situation is not that dissimilar to what happened when the Bills paid Ted Washington after a 1997 season where he might have become the first sideline-to-sideline 400# defender in NFL history.

He was UNREAL that year.

Got paid............then his play dropped off dramatically............but he was still the best run stuffing NT in football and whether they knew it or not the identity of their defense.

When Tom Donahoe tried to force him into a second straight paycut and he declined.............the Bills lost their identity, not just as a defense, but as a football team........and he went to the Bears and turned their defense into a dominating group that earned homefield advantage thru the playoffs then went to the Pats and was an immovable object on a SB winner there.

Yeah........Pegula made the mistake of giving Dareus agent everything he wanted.........but they still had a great NT and that market has gone up a lot since Snax Harrison got $10M per from the Giants......and while Snax is really good......he is not any better as a run defender or nearly as versatile or impactful in the pass game as Dareus can be.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:33 PM, Real McCoy said:

These stats are lies though 26

He is a Fat. lazy. locker room cancer pothead

Tad Dickman‏ 
@Tdickman89

THE DAREUS EFFECT:

Entering Week 9, @Jaguars ranked last in the NFL in rush defense, allowing 138.6 YPG.

JAX traded for DT @marcelldareus on Oct. 28.

In three games since his acquisition, JAX allowing 55.3 rushing YPG.

Where are the Bills stats now?

LOL... Dareus  played about 20 snaps in 5 games (Hamstring injury late preseason & out versus Denver) and you think he was making such a huge impact?  Do you really think he is THE reason for the run D drop off here?

Since Dareus has been with the Jags they have played Cinci, (Ranked LAST in rushing), Chargers (ranked 25th rushing) and Cleveland (ranked 23rd rushing).  Perhaps this is why there such a huge improvement in the Jags run D.

Edited by Azucho98

I think we've seen all the proof we'll ever need thar Dareus is a huge factor in the run game when used to plug the middle as opposed to playing more of a penetration style where your stats look better, but you overrun some running plays. The real question is will he be motivated now and give the Jags thr better end of that deal in the long run.

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I think we've seen all the proof we'll ever need thar Dareus is a huge factor in the run game when used to plug the middle as opposed to playing more of a penetration style where your stats look better, but you overrun some running plays. The real question is will he be motivated now and give the Jags thr better end of that deal in the long run.

My bet is that once the excitement and "prove it" mentality of being with a new team that wants him wear off, he will revert to form. It will be interesting to see what kind of shape he reports in next summer. I honestly hope the man gets it together and can chase all his demons away, but I'm not convinced he "loves" the game enough to commit on that level. 

2 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

LOL... Dareus  played about 20 snaps in 5 games (Hamstring injury late preseason & out versus Denver) and you think he was making such a huge impact?  Do you really think he is THE reason for the run D drop off here?

Since Dareus has been with the Jags they have played Cinci, (Ranked LAST in rushing), Chargers (ranked 25th rushing) and Cleveland (ranked 23rd rushing).  Perhaps this is why there such a huge improvement in the Jags run D.

Perhaps

Then explain to me why the Bills have let teams rush for 600+ yds over the last 3 games when they prior only averaged 80 per game?

The 180* stat flip for both D's doesn't raise a ? mark to many though, yourself included?

Edited by Real McCoy

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Perhaps

Then explain to me why the Bills have let teams rush for 600+ yds over the last 3 games when they prior only averaged 80 per game?

The 180* stat flip for both D's doesn't raise a ? mark to many though, yourself included?

Lets see - who was on the field the second half of last season (because your boy was suspended the first half) when Ajayi, Bell and others ran all over us?

Dareus not being here isn't the only reason this run D has caved.  He was hardly on the field when they were playing good run D.  What are you smoking?

56 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Lets see - who was on the field the second half of last season (because your boy was suspended the first half) when Ajayi, Bell and others ran all over us?

Dareus not being here isn't the only reason this run D has caved.  He was hardly on the field when they were playing good run D.  What are you smoking?

Let's talk about the right now, or this year then since you seem to have the answers. Love how you completely deferred to an entirely different D scheme last year under different coaches. 

Explain the 180 degree stat flip for both D's with the exact same timing as Dareus leaves the Bills and joins the Jags please?  I heard your take on the opposing Jags rushing O's, but what about the Bills severe fall off?

Stats don't lie, but I'm open to hearing others opinions.

I understand the longevity of this move and why it was made. I just don't understand the timing at all when we were 5-2 and looking pretty damn good on Defense.

Edited by Real McCoy

On 11/20/2017 at 3:30 PM, Gugny said:

He was a beast for the Bills.  Too bad fans let their dislike of the person cloud their judgment of the player.

Oh, I don't think that fans disliked Dareus until he signed his new contract, and the media started harping on it last year when the entire D sucked.  He was a convenient scapegoat, and then McDermott and Beane piled on, probably on the orders of the suits in the second floor at OBD who decided to get rid of the obligation ASAP, fueling fans' animosity towards him. 

On 11/20/2017 at 3:38 PM, Utah John said:

The player the Jags have looks like the player the Bills had, but he's not really the same guy.  The guy who was here was lazy, pampered, self-entitled, and arrogant.  The guy the Jags have is motivated, just like he was when he was here in his contract year.

Dareus has all the talent in the world.  He might turn out to be HOF player in time.  He wasn't going to get any better while he was here.  And the guy we traded wasn't the player who was in his contract year, trying to impress.  He's the fat dumb and happy guy who had his millions and thought the struggle was over.

Says who?  Sean McDermott?  Brandon Beane?  Russ Brandon?  Message board posters?   The only things you know about him are what you read or hear in the media and MBs like this one; you don't know him personally.

The Bills have been trying to get rid of Dareus since last spring but teams wouldn't take on his contract because they figured that if they couldn't trade him, the Bills would cut him ... until Jacksonville decided to act because, unlike the Bills, the Jags organization isn't stupid enough and arrogant enough to pass on an opportunity to make the playoffs even if the best they can do at QB is their bust of a supposed franchise QB ... and I'd trust Tom Coughlin's and Doug Marrone's evaluation of Dareus far more than I'd trust McDermott's or Beane's.

On 11/20/2017 at 4:28 PM, Peter said:

If "buying into the process" (however one wishes to interpret that) is the deciding factor in whether the Bills get rid of a player, the Bills may have to release most of the team after this past week.

:thumbsup:   The Jests put 37 on the Bills, the Saints 46, and the Chargers 54.  If this arithmetic progression holds true, then KC's gonna ring up 61. 

6 hours ago, Logic said:

^^^

6 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

That's ridiculous. He played a 1 gap penetrator for Jim Schwartz. Marcell is whatever you need him to be.

Well said, sir.  :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

^^^

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Good. 

I hope the national media keeps ripping us for this move. 

Somebody brought the idea up last week before the Chargers game, but with the likelihood, from McDermott's statements, that Peterman will get the start against the Chiefs, one has to wonder if the Bills changed QBs simply to take fan attention away from the Dareus trade and the defensive collapse that followed.   Last week, the way the Bills D played against the Jests and Saints was hardly mentioned in the media.  Even after the awful loss to the Chargers, fan attention is still more focused on the QB question than on the defense.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Minus is the fact that you are measuring his output at a low point and neglecting we didn’t free up thaaaat much cap space 

to replace bad dareus takes up all the savings, and gives away the upside 

On 11/20/2017 at 3:38 PM, Utah John said:

The player the Jags have looks like the player the Bills had, but he's not really the same guy.  The guy who was here was lazy, pampered, self-entitled, and arrogant.  The guy the Jags have is motivated, just like he was when he was here in his contract year.

Dareus has all the talent in the world.  He might turn out to be HOF player in time.  He wasn't going to get any better while he was here.  And the guy we traded wasn't the player who was in his contract year, trying to impress.  He's the fat dumb and happy guy who had his millions and thought the struggle was over.

This ^