Bills will likely be thin at RB in Sunday

YoloinOhio

I've been perplexed with their handling of the RB position this year. We understand that McCoy is the focal point and I think the ideal situation they were shooting for was to have defenses get tired out from chasing McCoy for most of the game and then hitting them with Tolbert who would be able to plow through a bunch of winded defenders. That hasn't been the case, though. Not saying J. Williams was an all-world back by any means but he certainly had much more to offer than Tolbert, who is limited to straight runs between the tackles because he doesn't have the speed to hit the corner. So anytime Tolbert is in there all defenses have to do is crowd the middle of the line and stay in their gaps. At least with Williams they would've had more options on the types of run calls they could've assigned to him.

I understand how important culture is to McBeane. It's clear that the prototype for the players they want are selfless, team-first, low-ego guys who just wanna win. Having special teams experience also seems to be a rather important box they wanna check off. And with draft prospects, they're obviously looking for experienced players. I don't believe any of their draft picks this year were early entrants. And those qualities in a player are great. It fits in with the strong team bond they wanna build and the chemistry they wanna develop. But, one of my questions on this regime is, will they limit themselves to players with ONLY those qualities? I would hope not. I would hope when they're scouting players (let's say prospects in this case) that they're not taking a player off the board because he only has two years of college under his belt. I would hope they're not taking a player off the board because he doesn't play special teams. I would hope they wouldn't pass over a supremely talented player because he has a bit of an ego. It's all well and good to have the foundation of your roster be built on those team-first, hardworking and "I just wanna win" types of players but they can't limit themselves to picking and signing players of ONLY that make-up. Gotta take some chances on guys who may have a bit of an attitude, a bit of swagger, a bit of nasty, etc. Because it's not as if those players can't come into a healthy locker room and mature and learn the importance of the culture they want here. So, yeah, I mean, McBeane didn't spend 20+ years climbing the ladder to get to where they are to NOT realize that they can't be so limited in the players they choose for his team. At least I hope not anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

No worries, Peterman and Shady is all you need.

And Zay and Clay and Matthews and O'Leary and Benjamin 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He can catch out of it the backfield but I haven’t seen him effectively run the ball ever in his career.

cool thanks 

8 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I wonder what old Fred is up to....  In all seriousness if they think it's an issue they will probably just resign Banyard

It would be wise for them to do so if Tolbert is out. Cadet is a decent add but he’s replacing Taiwan Jones - mainly a ST player and gadget guy. Not a 3rd down back or regular RB that can take 10-15 carries to spell Shady. Banyard also practiced with Peterman a lot in camp and preseason.

Edited by YoloinOhio