D&C'S MAIORANA: Clock Is Ticking On Dennison

OldTimeAFLGuy

.........sure as hell hope so..........

Clock is ticking on coordinator Rick Dennison to get Bills' offense back on track

Sal Maiorana, @salmaiorana Published 9:58 a.m. ET Nov. 16, 2017 | Updated 10:03 a.m. ET Nov. 16, 2017

ORCHARD PARK – Play-calling is not something I scream too loudly about, for this simple reason: The success or failure of a play is typically tied more to the execution of the call rather than the call itself.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
correction

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Clock is ticking on coordinator Rick Dennison to get Bills' offense back on track

Sal Maiorana, @salmaiorana Published 9:58 a.m. ET Nov. 16, 2017 | Updated 10:03 a.m. ET Nov. 16, 2017

ORCHARD PARK – Play-calling is not something I scream too loudly about, for this simple reason: The success or failure of a play is typically tied more to the execution of the call rather than the call itself.

Imagine drawing up a play where your QB takes a snap out of shotgun and throws a quick slant to the slot WR for 5 yards. Now imagine that you call that play and your QB hesitates, doesn't throw it, stabs into the pocket and then back out, rolls the opposite direction of his throwing hand, sprints toward the sideline while being chased by D lineman and gains a yard. Who do you blame? The O coordinator? Because I'm positive he's not drawing up half the things Tyrod was doing.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Imagine drawing up a play where your QB takes a snap out of shotgun and throws a quick slant to the slot WR for 5 yards. Now imagine that you call that play and your QB hesitates, doesn't throw it, stabs into the pocket and then back out, rolls the opposite direction of his throwing hand, sprints toward the sideline while being chased by D lineman and gains a yard. Who do you blame? The O coordinator? Because I'm positive he's not drawing up half the things Tyrod was doing.

Imagine you had the #1 rushing offense 2 years running and now have the 17th.  Imagine you had the #7 scoring offense last year and now have the 20th.  All while having the same players.  Dennison is trying to force players into his system.  Much like Rex did.  The players had to meet with the coaches during the bye to force them to go back to things that worked last year and the Bills had their 2 best offensive games.  Dennison has done nothing in this league except play second fiddle.  It should be obvious to all of us after the Rex debacle that coaching matters.  Seeing a regression on 1 side of the ball when the players are the same points to the scheme or the coach.  Both of those are on Dennison.

I hope Peterman comes in and kills it.  I hope the Bills take a qb high and solve the qb position long term.  I don't feel great about Dennison being the one to mold a young qb and develop him though.  I hope his seat is very hot because he has mishandled this offense back to the offseason when he said he didn't care what they did last year.

• Like (+1) 5

I hope this guy is gone. I cant stand his vanilla/predictable play calling.

I guess he has a chance to prove me wrong with a QB (Peterman) that fits his system better

Just now, section122 said:

Imagine you had the #1 rushing offense 2 years running and now have the 17th.  Imagine you had the #7 scoring offense last year and now have the 20th.  All while having the same players.  Dennison is trying to force players into his system.  Much like Rex did.  The players had to meet with the coaches during the bye to force them to go back to things that worked last year and the Bills had their 2 best offensive games.  Dennison has done nothing in this league except play second fiddle.  It should be obvious to all of us after the Rex debacle that coaching matters.  Seeing a regression on 1 side of the ball when the players are the same points to the scheme or the coach.  Both of those are on Dennison.

I hope Peterman comes in and kills it.  I hope the Bills take a qb high and solve the qb position long term.  I don't feel great about Dennison being the one to mold a young qb and develop him though.  I hope his seat is very hot because he has mishandled this offense back to the offseason when he said he didn't care what they did last year.

Very well said and I agree 100 percent with everything

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

I'm not defending Dennison in anyway but you do realize we had Watkins,Woods, TD Mike and Goodwin last year.

This is a good article by Sal, I think most of us completely agree with it.

I'm hoping for the best with Peterman, but I don't think Dennison can get out of his own way with his baffling play calling.  I suspect Dennison will be gone after this season.

The other problem which is not getting as much attention is Juan Castillo, who is doing a well below average job with the OL and running game.  He should be gone as well, but I'm not holding my breath because he was on Andy Reid's staff along with McDermott.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I'm not defending Dennison in anyway but you do realize we had Watkins,Woods, TD Mike and Goodwin last year.

Yeah I will give that to you. Woods only played 13 games last year and Watkins 8.  TD Mike is a being missed like crazy.  That option play to Tolbert was one of the worst play calls imaginable.  This is Dennison's quote  “At that point in time, it was one of the plays I wanted to call in that situation and (LeSean McCoy) was out. I had confidence in Mike. I think he can do a good job. We’re trying to get the best we can out of each guy.”  That says I don't play to my players strengths I do what I want to do regardless of my players ability to execute it.  Which is what I saw with TT as well.  Like I said I hope his seat is HOT.

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

It is totally possible that Tyrod is a limited passer AND Dennison is a stubborn and mediocre OC

absolutely.  I'm a TT supporter and think he got a raw deal.  He is absolutely limited.  However we saw the last 2 years he can lead a successful offense.  Again forcing TT to stay in the pocket is not setting your players up for success.  It is said all the time that the most successful coaches mold their scheme around their talent.  Somehow Dennison is getting a pass on this due to people wanting to see Peterman.  It's frustrating.

20 minutes ago, section122 said:

If Peterman kills it why would they take a QB in the first round?

21 minutes ago, section122 said:

Last year is last year.  Why do you guys hold it out as some sort of evidence that Tyrod remains the elusive answer to the Bills woes?  The fact of the matter is that he is not going to win consistently in the NFL.  He has not as a starter and has enough opportunity to show the experiment has failed.

45 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/11/16/buffalo-bills-offense-rick-dennison-and-nathan-peterman/869692001/

I am not a fan of the play-calling I've seen.  I don't understand the Fullback Love, nor some other aspects of the play calling.

That said, I don't think Dennison is going to get the hook from McWrestler mid-season.  Since Dennison was his personal choice in his 1st HC gig, that would make him look like a fool. 

Dennison was probably pulling his hair out watching Tyrod.  he dials up the play and then Tyrod can't even execute it and then Dennison is the one that looks bad.  although, there have been some questionable calls so Dennison is not totally off the hook.  anything involving Tolbert has pretty much been a bust so please stop calling those

I was listening to an interview with the Saints broadcast analyst.  It hammered home the brilliance of Sean Payton and how Dennison is not in his league.  Payton likes to have a "joker" position in his offense and creates a lot of match-up problems.  For a while it was Reggie Bush, then it was Darren Sproles.  This year in the 2017 draft Payton took a ton of heat from the media and fan base for trading a 7th and 2018- 2nd round pick ...to move up and select Alvin Kamara in the 3rd round.   Kamara was supposed to fulfill the new joker role in Payton's offense and boy does he ever.  What a great move.  And we get to watch Dennison throwing dump off's to Tolbert and ramming him up the middle for 2 yards.  We don't even have a real RB2 dressed for games.  Ridiculous.

22 minutes ago, section122 said:

Yeah I will give that to you. Woods only played 13 games last year and Watkins 8.  TD Mike is a being missed like crazy.  That option play to Tolbert was one of the worst play calls imaginable.  This is Dennison's quote  “At that point in time, it was one of the plays I wanted to call in that situation and (LeSean McCoy) was out. I had confidence in Mike. I think he can do a good job. We’re trying to get the best we can out of each guy.”  That says I don't play to my players strengths I do what I want to do regardless of my players ability to execute it.  Which is what I saw with TT as well.  Like I said I hope his seat is HOT.

absolutely.  I'm a TT supporter and think he got a raw deal.  He is absolutely limited.  However we saw the last 2 years he can lead a successful offense.  Again forcing TT to stay in the pocket is not setting your players up for success.  It is said all the time that the most successful coaches mold their scheme around their talent.  Somehow Dennison is getting a pass on this due to people wanting to see Peterman.  It's frustrating.

You talking about the QB position?  Now we want our QB to be out of the pocket because he sucks in the Pocket?

Barf!

52 minutes ago, section122 said:

52 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I hope this guy is gone. I cant stand his vanilla/predictable play calling.

I guess he has a chance to prove me wrong with a QB (Peterman) that fits his system better

Very well said and I agree 100 percent with everything

Yall. Both said it. We need better from the OC and OL coaching spots. I hope mcwrestler has the nuts to make the change after the season. Unless petermen co pletely turns this team around and gets us to 10 wins, then im sure dennison just isnt good enough for what we need to do. He pulled a reverse rex ryan and anyone without nate petermen vs tyrod taylor bias can see it.

It's a bit of everything.  Oline is struggling with stunts, as well as blocking for the zone runs.  The backs are struggling to find the holes and make the right cuts - Shady isn't a great fit for this it seems like.  We had a lot of success in shotgun last season as it deepens the pocket, and allows us to run more read option concepts.  We're now majority under center unless its an obvious passing play it seems.  

I think some quick hitters from peterson will do the offense good.  Shorter 3rd downs can create easier mis matches, and force the linebackers to shorten their depth.  This can create some big plays which have been lacking.

Last week on 3rd and 14 there wasn't a non-rushing saint within 10 yards of the LOS.  So you have 7 guys back there covering the sticks making checkdowns the only options.  

Edited by dneveu

There are four reasons the rushing attack has fallen apart.  First, lack of credible receivers lets defenses put another player or two in the box.  Second, Taylor was not running as much as he used to, and his yards made a big difference in the rushing rankings.  (Who's fault is it that Taylor isn't running?  His, or the coaches?  I don't know.)  Third, the O line is not as good.  I fear that both Wood and Incognito are falling off the age cliff, before our eyes.  Glenn is still hurt a lot, and the right side is still a disaster.  A lot of the problem could be traced to Castillo, the O line coach, or could be due to age an injuries.  Either way, the O line is not as good as it was.  Fourth, coaching.  Dennison simply didn't want to carry forward what was working before.  In his defense, he could have noticed the first three reasons I mentioned and realized it wasn't going to be good enough to keep doing the same thing.

One other reason -- Tolbert is just not as good as Gillislee. 

Edited by Utah John
updated info