Who's been most screwed by the Bills? Of All Time.

LA Grant

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, sorry, you're wrong about that. Tyrod had the same system here in Buffalo his first two years. And he didn't improve. His best year, by far, was his first.

Again, Alex Smith had a different system every single year up to and including the year Harbaugh got there.

And Alex Smith ISN'T elite. He's been good enough to be a franchise guy for a long time, and this year he's probably top 7 or 8. But no, he's not elite. Nor will Tyrod ever be. Ever.

There's a reason you haven't had a single person back you up on that "elite" claim. The reason is that it's laughable.

First of all, the bolded sentence is such a dumb take. I have no interest in getting into the weeds on your personal definition of "elite" -- especially if being "a franchise guy for a long time" and a "top 7 or 8" QB doesn't cut it for you.

To be clear, my "elite claim," as you put it, is that Tyrod could indeed develop that way, given time in the right system. I think that is possible Tyrod would continue to develop and improve, as he has demonstrated, and as we have seen from other QBs afforded time and consistency. Your position is that improving is impossible. Somehow I think you're speaking from experience.

Anyway.

Here's an interesting comparison: 

It's surprising the Titans haven't benched Mariota with those numbers.

3 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

For a younger fan, can someone explain why you guys/the team disliked Flutie? I'm a little pressed on time to listen to Thurman's audio. I've only heard positive things, and how everyone is in unison that he never should have been benched for MCM.

There are two sides of Flutie.  

The positive side was that he played one of the original versions of “street ball” and just found ways to win.  He was exciting and unorthodox.  He was short, but could run. Sound familiar?

The negative was that he was never supposed to be “the guy”. We traded high for Rob Johnson who showed flashes, but had overall more stinkers.  But because both were capable, there were A LOT of rumors about Flutie trying to turn the locker room against Rob.  Flutie was likable via the media, but many thought it was an act. 

As for the MCM, Flutie was the starter pretty much all season and the reason we made the playoffs.  We benched a few starters in Week 17 to give them a “bye” week and rest. Rob Johnson played out of his mind that game. I mean, he looked like a hall of famer to be honest. From that, Wade made the choice to start him from that one game.  

The rest is history.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Coaching - Wade Phillips

GM - Whaley

QB - Flutie

Not mentioned - WR Eric Moulds --> This guy could have seriously been a HOF WR if he played with a real QB all his career, such wasted talent.

Tyrod and EJ both got their fair shakes IMO to prove themselves.

Edited by Real McCoy

Tyrod didn't get screwed. He got the opportunity of a lifetime, fulfilled a dream, got to be a starter on a team for over 2 years and is financially set for life from it. Any career back up should envy the guy. Now he gets to go and compete again with no bias, and if he doesn't win a starting role again, he gets to be a really nice back up somewhere. Not shedding a single tear for the guy. Many of us knew for a very long time this experiment was drawn out too long.

At the top of any screwed by the Bills list has to be James "Shack" Harris. The Bills were brave enough to draft him out of Grambling in 1969, but could never hand over full-time QB'ing to an African American. By the time Lou Saban was hired—who had already screwed over QB Marlon Briscoe in Denver—Harris was shipped out, and ended up a Pro Bowler in LA. There too, he was screwed for reasons as simple as black and white.

I can't help wondering how much better the Bills would have been in 72 and 73, years in which the QB play was abysmal, if they had given a young vet like Harris the keys. Oh, well.

(And yes, I am a Fergy fan...but Fergy in 1973 was nothing but a rookie bus driver handing off to OJ. If the passing game had been more consistent, that team would have gone to the playoffs.)

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Tyrod Taylor threw for 56 yards in an NFL game and got benched because of it. How did he get screwed?

Doug Whaley screwed himself by accepting his Junior GM position. He should have demanded more control or left.

Edited by bmur66

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I know you'll just keep repeating this but I'll point it out once.  It wasn't just two ugly losses;  it's his whole ugly career.  The guy simply can't carry a team the way a QB needs to carry a team to win consistently in the NFL.  He just don't have the ability to throw the ball well enough.  He didn't the day he was drafted and he still doesn't and he never will.

This^^^^

and to the supposed point of the thread, as far as getting “screwed”. All of these guys (except the fans) made millions in a profession that is the definition of a meritocracy.  It’s win or you are out.  None of them consistently won or proved that over time they could consistently win.

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I know you'll just keep repeating this but I'll point it out once.  It wasn't just two ugly losses;  it's his whole ugly career.  The guy simply can't carry a team the way a QB needs to carry a team to win consistently in the NFL.  He just don't have the ability to throw the ball well enough.  He didn't the day he was drafted and he still doesn't and he never will.

Taylor is a bridge QB and will be a good backup the rest of his career. He has always been a class act