How well was Kelly received here his first few years?

Another Fan

I caught some of the NFL Network special on him.  I know it sounded like he was eagerly anticipated playing here at first but was there any hostility then?  I mean he was on record at one time saying he was happy playing in Houston to avoid Buffalo.

It's void now but I had always wondered.  

3 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

He was received like a God. He was revered and loved the moment he stepped off the plane.

This^^^^

It’s amazing seeing him now because he is really aged and looks like the average Joe.  The beating he took playing football plus the cancer treatments has aged him beyond his years.  

He may very well be the fiercest competitor to ever wear a Bills uniform.   

19 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

He was received like a God. He was revered and loved the moment he stepped off the plane.

Absolutely!  He received a welcome as if he was a hero or long lost son despite the negative things he said about Buffalo after signing with the USFL's Houston Gamblers.  I'll never forget the Kelly is God sign that was at the stadium for his 1st game.  It was pretty cool they included guy who made the sign in his Football Life episode.

His first season was something though. 

4-12, but you could just tell he was on the come! But man o man, did he through some brutal picks that first year. For example, Cinci game that year he started rough, then led the Bills from down 10 to up 10(appx.) , but threw a brutal Fitzesque pick first play of OT to lose the game. He had a few of those, but ya just knew he was something special

The dude was treated like a savior...people lined the streets and bridges by the airport when when signed to welcome him. Think Terrell Owens key to the city times 1000

Edited by matter2003

The team had won just 8 games the previous three seasons so coming in the first season (1986) Kelly was the conquering hero...1987 (strike-shortened) the potential was clear but not quite met...going into 1988 there was added pressure to take the team to the next level, which of course he did...and the rest is history.

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This^^^^

It’s amazing seeing him now because he is really aged and looks like the average Joe.  The beating he took playing football plus the cancer treatments has aged him beyond his years.  

He may very well be the fiercest competitor to ever wear a Bills uniform.   

known as the linebacker of QBs, one tough s.o.b.

People were thrilled at first. But then, with team performance not rising to expectations, and numerous late game losses on interceptions, and a bickering controversy around the team, nobody complained. We all still adored him. We only pick on Tyrod but Kelly got a pass.

This is sarcasm. 

People recall NOW that we were all just enthralled but look it up Level even said that people were calling for Frank Riech.

Its what  we do :)

31 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

His first season was something though. 

4-12, but you could just tell he was on the come! But man o man, did he through some brutal picks that first year. For example, Cinci game that year he started rough, then led the Bills from down 10 to up 10(appx.) , but threw a brutal Fitzesque pick first play of OT to lose the game. He had a few of those, but ya just knew he was something special

I was at that game.  And if you remember, Kelly was signed late and had had very little practice before this game.  Cincinnati was much better at the time and the fans could not believe they were losing to Buffalo....in large part thanks to Kelly.  That pick was brutal, but I heard him interviewed after the game and he said that with the defense Cincinnati was in, he had to audible....and only knew a couple of audibles...so whenever he audibled to a pass in the game it was the same play.  By overtime, Cincinnati had caught on and knew what the play was the second he audibled and jumped the route.

He wasn't always revered, however.  People forget the stretch of time in 1989 where everyone was calling for him to be benched for Frank Reich.  And then there were always haters... regardless how good he played.  Some people are never happy.

Just now, Coach55 said:

He wasn't always revered, however.  People forget the stretch of time in 1989 where everyone was calling for him to be benched for Frank Reich.  And then there were always haters... regardless how good he played.  Some people are never happy.

Some calls for Collins as well in his last year

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He was treated like a god, but even gods get booed sometimes. More than a few callers on WGR suggested he be benched for backup QB Frank Reich. It's also probably a good thing the internet, TBD, and social media weren't invented yet. 

Fixed  :lol:

The first few seasons were a disaster as they stockpiled draft picks and got experience.

I don't recall anything great or bad about it.  He was basically a jerk though for his years here, which happens, he has become a much nicer person.

Someone mentioned how he's aged and looks like a regular Joe now. I'm sure the beating he took as a player, the worry and depression that was endured through the battle Hunter had and then the Cancer are the reasons. I look back on when he came to Buffalo fondly now but back then, I had mixed emotions. He was awesome as a Quarterback for most of his years and a Linebacker mentality for sure but as row_33 stated, he was a jerk. I mean, a really big jerk. Cocky, Arrogant, shouldering people out of the way to get to the bar kind of jerk. I remember being at a bar on the waterfront somewhere (The name escapes me) and he came in with former Bill and Co. Exec. Ed Rutkowski. I didn't see him coming and he gave me a shoulder spilling my drink all over my shirt. I was majorly P'd Off and started going after him. A bouncer grabbed me and told me to calm down or I was outta there. The best thing that could have happened because he likely would have pummeled me but Beer muscles were clouding my judgement. I left a short while later and hated him for a long time until by chance, I was snowmobiling and ran into him on the trails. By then, Hunter had been diagnosed and we both had matured, and he had become a much nicer person. I feel sorry for him in some ways now. I mean, yeah he has a lot of advantages that we will never have but I wouldn't wish the loss of a child or cancer on my worst enemy.