How well was Kelly received here his first few years?

Another Fan

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Had to be Crawdaddies right? And I was just out of school and living in Buffalo back then, Williamsville to be exact. Jim and crew would often come into he Piece Arrow and party like rock stars. And act like the Ahole rock stars. Always figured it was just us getting cranky cause they walked in, any chance we had of getting attention from any of the hot chicks went right out the window!

I was only there once. I don't remember a lot about the place. It wasn't there more than a couple of years. I seem to remember having to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the bar area.

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Okay, if there was a credible death threat on RH then that might have been an excuse.

Beauty was before youtube there were dozens of Bills fans blaming Jim Kelly on that pass..... 

well, the rumor was Ronnie was a hardcore gambler and in deep with the Columbo family and threw the 86 Rose Bowl as well.

https://www.timesledger.com/stories/2002/31/20020801-archive795.html

2 hours ago, nucci said:

You couldn't hear the PA announcer when Kelly was introduced for "86 opener against Jets

I would say I have  been to about 500 live sporting events in my life...some with very high stakes involved. I can honestly say, the noise and rumbling that we all felt in Rich Stadium that day, was the loudest crowd I have ever been in.  I still get goose bumps thinking about it...our season tickets were about 10 rows up on the top deck, around the 40 yard line...I swear, the whole deck was shaking.  Though they lost that game to the Jets, it was very apparent, from day one, that the Bills as a franchise were taking a huge step up in credibility.  Kelly was awesome...

I watched the A Football life on Jim and didn't learn a ton more than I already knew. I didn't remember him having shoulder surgery before the season before the draft. It was interesting to hear Don Shula's comments regarding Jim, considering how he went with Marino and Kelly shredded them both each time we met in the playoffs!

I always  remembered the opening game against the Jets and Klecko nailing Jim on a cheap shot. But, true to the "linebacker QB", he just got up and went to work. Loved the toughness about the guy.

But, the most enduring thing about Jim is how he was adamant that he wasn't going to go to Buffalo. WAs so against the idea of playing here, yet, after his career was over, decided to stay and put down roots here. He's become a great Western New York citizen and ambassador to the City. That, to me, is one of his greatest accomplishments.  

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan

Hank Bullough was determined not to be overshadowed.

I was 12 or so, my grandfather got a buffalo sports aware of some sort at UB, we were watching the Bulls play, sitting on the hill and Van Miller came up.

I asked him why Coach Bullough wouldn't let Kelly pass more and Van said, "nobody knows, son."

1 minute ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Some were not real happy with him for spending time in the USFL. H had little choice but to sign here, Buffalo owned his right.

He didn't look real happy

That is not true, he could of sat out the year & became a free agent after the year as the bills rights to him were going to expire.  Most players would of sat out & held an auction the following year.  He would of got more money.  But Kelly was a football player & to sit out a year in his prime wasn't even an option for him I imagine.

It is funny him going to the USFL was probably the best thing for the Bills as they would of never landed Bruce Smith in 85 with Kelly on the roster.

33 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

No way! Fans today won't accept waiting 5 games, let alone waiting 5 years! We live in a society where Patience is non existent, Couth is a word most people have never heard of (including my spell check program) and Pride has been replaced with entitlement.

HAHAHAHAHAHA this is off topic but I remember watching a game one time back then and they showed the dugout. Keith Hernandez (another coke head) was smoking a cigarette. It was a different time back then.

David Cone used to smoke in the bullpen. You'd be surprised how many guys in MLB still smoke.

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

Remember when Bill Polian said to Art Wander "Jim Kelly is our QB, Marv Levy is our coach & if you don't like it you could get out of town." 

Sport quotes were so much more interesting back then, when guys for the most part said what they felt like & didn't care how politically correct they were.

Same as it ever was. 

16 minutes ago, Gordio said:

That is not true, he could of sat out the year & became a free agent after the year as the bills rights to him were going to expire.  Most players would of sat out & held an auction the following year.  He would of got more money.  But Kelly was a football player & to sit out a year in his prime wasn't even an option for him I imagine.

It is funny him going to the USFL was probably the best thing for the Bills as they would of never landed Bruce Smith in 85 with Kelly on the roster.

All I remember was he was the property of the Buffalo Bills and he was not happy coming here....water under the bridge now

1 hour ago, cd1 said:

It is also important to keep in mind that Kelly WAS NO ROOKIE when he got here.

So, for all intents and purposes - It took years for Jim Kelly to become JIM KELLY!

Not really. He was immediately great in the

USFL. He struggled a little his first year because the team was just coming together. He was ready to play. He did have some tough games but the Bills just weren't that good. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This^^^^

It’s amazing seeing him now because he is really aged and looks like the average Joe.  The beating he took playing football plus the cancer treatments has aged him beyond his years.  

He may very well be the fiercest competitor to ever wear a Bills uniform.   

Said by a young guy I presume? Or at least by a middle aged guy who hasn't been to a high school or college reunion lately?  Kelly has a couple years on me, and from where I'm standing (in front of the mirror) he looks pretty damn good for 57!  Even with all that he's been through. And after those reunions with the bald 330 pounders  I guess I ain't doin so bad myself. Maybe that's why I go ....

18 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Said by a young guy I presume? Or at least by a middle aged guy who hasn't been to a high school or college reunion lately?  Kelly has a couple years on me, and from where I'm standing (in front of the mirror) he looks pretty damn good for 57!  Even with all that he's been through. And after those reunions with the bald 330 pounders  I guess I ain't doin so bad myself. Maybe that's why I go ....

I am 52 about to turn 53.   Trust me, I know what aging is about, sadly.

Good responses.  My first relocations of the Bills were the Super Bowl years so I had no idea before then.  I just always wondered since it's somewhat human nature to be skeptical of someone who doesn't want to initially be somewhere.  Maybe a different era as well?  The only negative vague memory of him if you want to call it that is most fans wanted Reich in the AFC title game after the comeback.