Christmas/Holiday Thread

An Early bird.  My cube neighbor is already putting up 2 of the 5 they decorate.

We usually went out and cut our own but changed that last season.  Doing so we waited until the 2nd weekend in December. 

Now that we have an artificial we might do it after we get home from Rochester on Thanksgiving weekend. 

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

:huh:Christmas or Thanksgiving?  

Christmas

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I've always wondered about Boxing Day.  Is that where Canadians take out frustrations built up during the year and beat the snot out of each other?

Its pretty much like your Black Friday only its a holiday for us lol

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

:lol: It’s amazing how quickly this thread has turned into an “abuse our Canadian cousins” party.  Sorry CBF.

Its ok we are used to it :D

CBF

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’vve Seen stuff in some stores for a month! It’s like an arms race - it just keeps getting earlier and earlier! 

My mom usually starts her Christmas shopping in like July/August.  I personally can't start thinking about Christmas until after Thanksgiving weekend.  Have to give turkey day its due...still my favorite holiday.  Beer, food, football...what's not to love?

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

Go easy on him - he is from Hamilton overall - kinda like being from Lackawanna.

Used to live in Hamilton. Moved to a smaller town. I just list Hamilton because its the closest big city lol

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

My mom usually starts her Christmas shopping in like July/August.  I personally can't start thinking about Christmas until after Thanksgiving weekend.  Have to give turkey day its due...still my favorite holiday.  Beer, food, football...what's not to love?

Well we had our Thanksgiving on October 9th so we are all set!

CBF

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

That’s us...the tree goes up Thanksgiving weekend. NOTHING happens before that. 

Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Used to live in Hamilton. Moved to a smaller town. I just list Hamilton because its the closest big city lol

CBF

I lived in Hamilton for a year.  Met some great people and found a polish butcher - the kielbasa was to die for.

My brother called me today to tell me 104 had gone to Christmas music. #@!&% I told him siriusxm4 had too. #@!&%   I like Christmas music just fine... AFTER Thanksgiving (American). As far as my personal favorite... none really as an adult. No grandkids, not religious, I just host Christmas Eve dinner  (wigilia).

I've been taking the week between Christmas and New Years off for the previous decade or so. It's a nice time to unwind after another year of being a working stiff. It's nice to watch the kids play with the new toys and then get board with them in about 3 days. I also usually get a video game or two which I play the hell out of for a few days since I can stay up and don't have to work the following morning.

Personally though I enjoy the 4 days off for Thanksgiving. Nothing but sitting around in a gluttonous stupor of food, booze and football. My wife is one of those who gets up at 3 am to go Black Friday shopping so I get to hang out and eat leftovers. The Hurricanes are playing this black Friday, so that's an added bonus. I was hoping to get a kamado grill and do a turkey for Thanksgiving this year, but I don't see that happening.

Also try to make a  point to watch A Christmas Story and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation sometime before Christmas.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Is it almost Canadian Christmas? When is it again? November?

Office officially closed Dec 22 to January 2 this year.

I'll still go in for a lot of afternoons.

Canada, where we get a statutory almost every month of the year.  :D

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Office officially closed Dec 22 to January 2 this year.

I'll still go in for a lot of afternoons.

Canada, where we get a statutory almost every month of the year:D

Age of consent in NY is 17. Is it lower up there? One statutory per month seems low for a cold climate country.

15 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My brother called me today to tell me 104 had gone to Christmas music. #@!&% I told him siriusxm4 had too. #@!&%   I like Christmas music just fine... AFTER Thanksgiving (American). As far as my personal favorite... none really as an adult. No grandkids, not religious, I just host Christmas Eve dinner  (wigilia).

I have no problem with XM switching over to the Christmas music.  They've at a couple hundred stations and could probably get away with playing it year round if they really had to.  I don't think many are going to one of those 5-6 random top hits stations that they replace this time of the year.

11 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Personally though I enjoy the 4 days off for Thanksgiving. Nothing but sitting around in a gluttonous stupor of food, booze and football. My wife is one of those who gets up at 3 am to go Black Friday shopping so I get to hang out and eat leftovers. The Hurricanes are playing this black Friday, so that's an added bonus. I was hoping to get a kamado grill and do a turkey for Thanksgiving this year, but I don't see that happening.

This will be my third Christmas in my neighborhood.  Everyone on my street is outside the day after thanksgiving putting up their lights.  It's kind of fun yelling back and forth at each other or silently waiting for the one guy to fall off his roof.  Some might say that day is too early for lights, but you have to do it when you have the free time.

13 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Age of consent in NY is 17. Is it lower up there? One statutory per month seems low for a cold climate country.

Hey now!!!  <_<

Growing up the whole family were teachers so they got the full two weeks off for Christmas and mocked everyone else who got only 3 days vacation.

• Haha (+1) 1

Having to see family you don't want to see: check

Getting that uncontrollable urge to drink, even at work: check

The Bills are making me miserable again: check

Yep, it's the holidays alright. 

7 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Having to see family you don't want to see: check

Getting that uncontrollable urge to drink, even at work: check

The Bills are making me miserable again: check

Yep, it's the holidays alright. 

That's why we have 160 college bowl games so we can sit there watching Utah State take on Eastern Michigan with the sound off while people we don't want to see are yakking away for hours on end eating our food and drinking our booze.

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

My wife's a teacher. I know the feeling.

let me guess.... does she whine about the stress and hardships of the job in a self-righteous way all the time?  At family dinners of 30 there were 9 teachers who monopolized the whole conversation whining about the stress and hardships for 30 years.

Every freakin Christmas, Easter, New Years, birthday, other holidays or get-togethers.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

let me guess.... does she whine about the stress and hardships of the job in a self-righteous way all the time?  At family dinners of 30 there were 9 teachers who monopolized the whole conversation whining about the stress and hardships for 30 years.

Every freakin Christmas, Easter, New Years, birthday, other holidays or get-togethers.

No...she's actually pretty appreciative of the job she has and the vacation time. She's one of the only teachers I know who doesn't beetch about "the administration", etc.

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

No...she's actually pretty appreciative of the job she has and the vacation time. She's one of the only teachers I know who doesn't beetch about "the administration", etc.

oh good!!

The boomer generation teachers were all handed jobs and pensions for life when they graduated so they just took it for granted and whined all the time about how teaching sucked.  I believe it is demanding and rewarding job and that most of them really enjoyed coaching and teaching.

Their children are totally screwed in trying to get a full-time teaching job before paying dues for 8-10 years now and are appreciative.

27 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Theres no shame in that! I probably watch 10 of those every year.

you should join CBF and me for a viewing party. I will bring the bon bons; you bring the tissues. 

Is that in addition to the musicals?  :)