ESPN: Will the Bills' fast start fade into usual disappointment?

Lots of "win/win" games for the Bills coming up. It begins this weekend with NE/Denver

As much as I despise NE they could actually serve a positive purpose for once. They have Denver, Oakland and the Dolphins twice, plus the Jets once more.

Either they put these teams down for the count (which is good for us) or they lose (which is also good for us). Win/win almost every week as it relates to NE from here on out, other than the two games we have them, obviously.

The Saints are going to kick our ass and it will be the continuation (beginning was last Thursday's debacle) of the wheels coming off.

I am STILL having my best season as a fan in many years and I'm still very optimistic about the future of this team.  So this won't hurt too badly.

Reading through this thread, it's weird to me how many contributors to this forum view themselves as "Bills Boosters" and only want the Bills to be a feel-good drug in their lives.  They view this forum as a place for like minded individuals to relax and enjoy the positive feeling that comes from saying "We can do it and we are going to do it!  I can feel it!"  Any comment that might go against that is viewed as, ultimately, hostile. 

Then you have other people, like me, who just want to have an interesting conversation about whatever Bills topic is relevant at the moment.  I am interested in being right and the truth.  I enjoy open, fair commentary whatever that might be. Sometimes it is very positive, sometimes it is negative or outright depressing.  Who cares?  I'm not here to exclusively "feel good" I'm here to analyze/discuss matters relating to the Buffalo Bills.  If they prove to be happy/feel good, that's great. 

If this forum was split up among the 2 aforementioned camps, it would be a much more productive place with far fewer 1 on 1, off-topic battles, and all this fan against fan commentary which is not productive or interesting to read.

1 minute ago, teef said:

meh.  i didn't expect playoffs this year, so whatever happens, happens.  it's all about the future.

future cakewalk bitches.

What I don't get is the people actively getting in their own ways about actually enjoying the season. we may meltdown. its happened in the past. it sucks. but for me its all the more reason to enjoy a hot start and milk the season for everything I can get out of it. be entertained while they are still in the hunt. 

like why do people bother watching if they have their minds made up they aren't gonna enjoy it or be "sold" on it until week 16. what a miserable way to watch a season.

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

What I don't get is the people actively getting in their own ways about actually enjoying the season. we may meltdown. its happened in the past. it sucks. but for me its all the more reason to enjoy a hot start and milk the season for everything I can get out of it. be entertained while they are still in the hunt. 

like why do people bother watching if they have their minds made up they aren't gonna enjoy it or be "sold" on it until week 16. what a miserable way to watch a season.

Some people are only "happy" when there is misery.

7 minutes ago, teef said:

meh.  i didn't expect playoffs this year, so whatever happens, happens.  it's all about the future.

future cakewalk bitches.

One day....maybe one day you'll start capitalizing the first letter of each sentence or nouns.....

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

My new thing after a Loss -  Be bitchy for 24 hours then move on. 

its therapeutic 

I think part of the equation is that we really do not know for sure just how good/bad the Bills are.

A rough look at where they rank on offense (27) and defense (20) suggests that the Bills may not be as good as we hope/believe. Only the Packers (with Rodgers out),  Colts (sans Luck and with a terrible defense), Giants, and 49ers are as bad or worse in this combined ranking.

Admittedly, playing teams that were not as good as we thought at the time (Broncos, Falcons, Bucs), combined with a ridiculous turnover differential, played a large role in the the 5-2 start.

Conversely, they also managed to get to that record with  a number of key injuries across the board -- and many of the these key contributors are getting healthy (Gaines, Clay, etc.). Plus, who knows what impact the Kelvin B. acquisition will have?

Last week, they were manhandled in every possible way by a highly motivated Jets team that has a much better OL and DL than people are willing to ackowledge. That beat-down could adversely affect the team's mojo (plus, provide other opponents with a recipe for beating them). Or, it could be a rally cry to step it up and return the favor at home against another opponent -- in this case, the Saints.

Frankly, the Saints are a better team, on paper -- 4th on offense and 13th on defense. Still, some home cooking and hopefully a return to the positive turnover differential could put the team back in the win column.

I think we will learn a lot more about this team based on what happens Sunday.

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

My new thing after a Loss -  Be bitchy for 24 hours then move on. 

right.... I think this got easier for me once I got a family and my wife wouldn't tolerate my moods. lol..... I did find myself pouting and wandering aimlessly around the house a bit on sunday. but that's just a crappy scenario... Thursday night beatdown. only game for media to cover next day. then no team to watch on sunday. but unlike some around here i'm gonna choose to judge them on 8 games as a whole and not the most recent debacle.  thank god that's all in the rear view! 

the way I see it... before the season if somebody would have come to me and said "your bills will be 5-3 at the mid way point" I would've taken that all day everyday after the turbulent offseason we had. so that's where I sit. enjoying a good start and cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

There's no way we don't end up at 5-7, our next win will be against the Colts. Our bend but don't break defense is broken. If we don't get a ridiculous amount of turnovers, we have no chance of even keeping it close. Same old Bills

Edited by uticaclub

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Some people are only "happy" when there is misery.

One day....maybe one day you'll start capitalizing the first letter of each sentence or nouns.....

isn't is an automatic on those smart phones? serious question. I have no smart phone device is why I ask. I don't use a phone but rather a computer to browse the internet?

A NFC/AFC game is not nearly do or die. If we lose to the Saints then we lose to the Saints with no major playoff tie breaker concerns.

Conference and more important our 4 division games remaining are really all that matter. This must win crap at mid season against a NFC opponent is a bunch of unwarranted drama. 

Its not the coaches or players its a huge culture problem. Buffalo is just a big rest area along I-90 where coshes and players rest till their their deal expires

The same problem exists in Cleveland where the best drafted players take a snooze. Its not funny anymore

Edited by THE SLAMMER

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think 9 can get em in. 

They wont go 6-10 like that 2011 season that turned into an absolute joke.

They lack talent and depth like that 2011 team but Tyrod is not going to turn the ball over like Fitz did that last half of the year and we have a lot more playmakers(with the addition of KB and Clay back)on offense then that one did. 

Defense is a concern because like that season we have no semblance of a pass rush and our front 7 looks mediocre AT BEST. 

This team is anywhere from 8 to 10 wins, IMO.

Tyrod doesn't turn the ball over, but he also doesn't get huge yards with this arm or convert 3rd downs often either.

Colts and @Miami are going to be our only 2 wins moving forward. There is absolutely no reason to believe this team is any different. Our wins came from lucky turnovers, that we couldn't even score TDs on. This team over performed the first half of the season and will finish with the 6-7 wins Vegas predicted. 

Edited by uticaclub