The Cap Dilemma in 2018

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so if you were to re-sign him, is Woods type money reasonable?.......

I don't think we re-sign him at all. He's a pretty good player but KB, him and Zay are all possession guys. I think Zay will be a fan favorite by the end of the season. And we go get a speed guy to spread field for KB and Zay. Along with re-sign DT for relatively low dollars. 

31 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Not to totally pee all over your parade, but Rob Quinn did a nice write-up and explanation of Cap situation. They are in a very good position with a fair amount of money and that's WITH Tyrod coming back at $18, Shady at his cap hit and Hughes at his Cap hit...none of which I think come back. 

....14 out of the 18 are currently <1 mil and I don't see many (if any) big money demanders........doubt Kyle comes back or signs elsewhere at anywhere near that money.....Tyrod coming back at 18 mil is doubtful.....he may not be the clear cut starter and may have to restructure to be in the camp mix with draftee, Peterman and a camp body, 4 in total...IF Peterman or rook beat him out, you can't pay him 18 mil to sit nor do I see him getting 18 mil elsewhere.....then again stupid money is being thrown around........plenty of time to see how things shake out IMO....no panic button yet and the cap will go up again........

My thoughts on commentary on each all of these players:

Kyle Williams DT 34 BUF TBD $7,433,333 UFA  - I love KW and he's an all time Bills great but I believe this is more than likely his last season in Buffalo for a number of reasons
Jordan Matthews WR 25 BUF TBD $1,237,317 UFA - Depends on what he and the offense show the rest of the way. 50/50 at this point and will depend on what money he's looking for
Shareece Wright CB 30 BUF TBD $1,100,000 UFA - For pure depth I have no problem with keeping him but he's a terrible starter in most cases
Brandon Tate WR 30 BUF TBD $1,010,000 UFA - Probably not coming back since we can find another returner in house or new FA/draft pick next year
Mike Tolbert FB 31 BUF TBD $980,000 UFA - Despite the Carolina connection doubt he'll be on the team next year since RB is a need especially if McCoy is also let go/traded.
Ramon Humber OLB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA - No problem with him coming back as depth but we need to upgrade him in terms of starting
Colt Anderson SS 32 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA - Probably not coming back
Joe Webb QB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA

- Probably not coming back especially if we draft/sign/trade for another QB

Leonard Johnson CB 27 BUF TBD $855,000 UFA - Fine with him for depth but we can probably do better
Cedric Thornton DT 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA - He's not really a starter but no problem with him competing for depth
Taiwan Jones RB 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA - Probably not coming back in light of season ending injury against Jets
Shamarko Thomas SS 26 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA - Haven't really seen much of him but probably can do better
Travaris Cadet RB 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA - Just got here and who knows if he'll even be on roster next week
Deonte Thompson WR 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA - Definitely would resign if his continues to look good the rest of the season
Preston Brown ILB 25 BUF TBD $751,438 UFA - I would move on from Brown and he's likely going to be looking to cash in FA
Jerel Worthy DT 27 BUF TBD $600,000 UFA - Same as Thorton.
E.J. Gaines CB 25 BUF TBD $581,918 UFA - Worried this guy is another Aaron Williams type but if he's not looking for huge money would certainly want to keep him
Seantrel Henderson RT 25 BUF TBD $567,720 UFA

- Still not sure he makes it to the end of the season without being released, likely won't be back regardless.

On 11/5/2017 at 11:06 PM, JaCrispy said:

I don't view Preston Brown as a priority and would like to see us upgrade the position with a high end draft pick

I'm not opposed to that idea, but looking at the LBs as a whole, getting rid of Preston Brown means yet another hole they need to fill.  Lorenzo isn't getting any younger, and Humber is also a FA.  If you get rid of Preston, the depth chart going into the offseason next season could look like:

• Zo
  • Vallejo
  • Millano

+ Draft Picks and free agents.  At this point that would be replacing 2 starters and 3 backups.  I'd like to see them keep Brown and only spend one high pick on a LB.  Supplement those guys with Vallejo & Millano and you've got a decent unit.

2 minutes ago, Chilly said:

I'm not opposed to that idea, but looking at the LBs as a whole, getting rid of Preston Brown means yet another hole they need to fill.  Lorenzo isn't getting any younger, and Humber is also a FA.  If you get rid of Preston, the depth chart going into the offseason next season could look like:

• Zo
  • Vallejo
  • Millano

+ Draft Picks and free agents.  At this point that would be replacing 2 starters and 3 backups.  I'd like to see them keep Brown and only spend one high pick on a LB.  Supplement those guys with Vallejo & Millano and you've got a decent unit.

Fair enough...I guess I'm just going on a hunch that I don't feel Brown is the type of MLB McD likes leading his defense based on Carolina...he likes speed and cover ability...also this retooling will take multiple off seasons imo as we have many holes. 

4 minutes ago, Chilly said:

• Zo
  • Vallejo
  • Millano

Fortunately,  inside linebackers have been cheap and plentiful in free agency in recent seasons.

I also would not rule out McD trading a first or second round pick in exchange for Luke Kuechly and a later pick.  Carolina seems like a contender but unlike Buffalo they have an established culture and a system in place and they have a very old team and may want to re-tool while Cam is still young and Kuechly would probably have extra value to McD.

I think they probably had hopes to get Thomas Davis in free agency but he re-upped with Carolina a couple months back.    I think the Carolina pipeline has just begun to flow.    Not saying I like it but this is how it works........they will get their guys if they can.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:50 PM, jmc12290 said:

As of today, the Bills have $21M in cap space for 2018, not including rookie contracts. 

Our pending FAs:

Kyle Williams DT 34 BUF TBD $7,433,333 UFA -
Jordan Matthews WR 25 BUF TBD $1,237,317 UFA -
Shareece Wright CB 30 BUF TBD $1,100,000 UFA -
Brandon Tate WR 30 BUF TBD $1,010,000 UFA -
Mike Tolbert FB 31 BUF TBD $980,000 UFA -
Ramon Humber OLB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -
Colt Anderson SS 32 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -
Joe Webb QB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -
Leonard Johnson CB 27 BUF TBD $855,000 UFA -
Cedric Thornton DT 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Taiwan Jones RB 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Shamarko Thomas SS 26 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Travaris Cadet RB 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Deonte Thompson WR 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Preston Brown ILB 25 BUF TBD $751,438 UFA -
Jerel Worthy DT 27 BUF TBD $600,000 UFA -
E.J. Gaines CB 25 BUF TBD $581,918 UFA -

Who do we keep?  Assuming Kyle comes back and we resign one of Gaines/Matthews, we could be looking at around $5M in spendable money next offseason.  Do we restructure TT a third time?

Preston Brown I'd resign for a modest contract. The rest, goodbye. Unless they take one year contracts.

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't think we re-sign him at all. He's a pretty good player but KB, him and Zay are all possession guys. I think Zay will be a fan favorite by the end of the season. And we go get a speed guy to spread field for KB and Zay. Along with re-sign DT for relatively low dollars. 

Matthews was just a throw in in the Darby trade......Eagles had been trying to deal him for months and got virtually no value back at all for him.

And for a reason.

Big slot WR are a bit like FB's........only a few teams even want one.....because TE's give you more versatility and otherwise teams want smaller, quicker WR's who can get open quick and stifle blitzes etc..

Bills had an issue with the blitz Thursday night and could have used a Cole Beasley/Edelman type to take a few hot routes and make defense pay with YAC.  Instead they got Jordan Molasses catching a ball in the clear and getting tracked down short of the first down marker(and fumbling).:doh:

Good guy.......good at what he can do......might prove valuable in cold weather games.......but he just can't do a lot of value in a 16 game schedule because he's not a matchup winner. 

I thought James Lofton characterized Jordan Matthews best when he called him "lumbering".    WR's never want that label but it suits him.

On 11/4/2017 at 5:50 PM, jmc12290 said:

Jordan Matthews WR 25 BUF TBD $1,237,317 UFA - I think the FO really likes him
Shareece Wright CB 30 BUF TBD $1,100,000 UFA - Solid depth

-
Joe Webb QB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA - versatile, cheap
Leonard Johnson CB 27 BUF TBD $855,000 UFA - Solid nickel CB
Cedric Thornton DT 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA - solid depth, cheap

-
Deonte Thompson WR 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA - solid depth, cheap

Jerel Worthy DT 27 BUF TBD $600,000 UFA -Solid depth, cheap
E.J. Gaines CB 25 BUF TBD $581,918 UFA - good starter although is always injured

These are the only ones i think the FO will keep. I think they sign Star L fro CAR than go DT, LB, OL in the draft

On 11/5/2017 at 2:17 PM, klos63 said:

Tolbert?? Why?

Who else can we turn to on 2nd and long?

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This is exactly what I would like to see happen, along with the suggestion to sign Star Lotulelei. No clue what he’ll fetch on the open market though.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Fortunately,  inside linebackers have been cheap and plentiful in free agency in recent seasons.

I also would not rule out McD trading a first or second round pick in exchange for Luke Kuechly and a later pick.  Carolina seems like a contender but unlike Buffalo they have an established culture and a system in place and they have a very old team and may want to re-tool while Cam is still young and Kuechly would probably have extra value to McD.

I think they probably had hopes to get Thomas Davis in free agency but he re-upped with Carolina a couple months back.    I think the Carolina pipeline has just begun to flow.    Not saying I like it but this is how it works........they will get their guys if they can.

Luke Kuechly is one more concussion from retirement. That would be real risky. Love how he plays and it makes sense but crazy risky to me

3 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Luke Kuechly is one more concussion from retirement. That would be real risky. Love how he plays and it makes sense but crazy risky to me

I'm not a big fan of new regimes collecting players from their past but I think when under duress you will see them try to get players they know and trust.

Benjamin was a move made under duress.......the receiving corps has been a mess without Watkins......and he's a guy they know.

Preston Brown has been struggling........his play has dropped off as the season has gone on.......he can play better against the run but he's probably always going to be exceptionally weak in pass defense.

Kuechly comes with the concussion issue and some high cap numbers......otherwise he wouldn't be available at all because he's a DPOY candidate when healthy and still young.  I expect the Bills to inquire and contrary to popular belief we don't really know for sure what their plan is with all those draft picks.

The conventional wisdom before LAST draft was that they needed every pick they had to help patch holes......then they traded 2017 value away to the Chiefs for 2018 value....then traded up twice for Zay and Dawkins.........leaving them with a very small class.   

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not a big fan of new regimes collecting players from their past but I think when under duress you will see them try to get players they know and trust.

Benjamin was a move made under duress.......the receiving corps has been a mess without Watkins......and he's a guy they know.

Preston Brown has been struggling........his play has dropped off as the season has gone on.......he can play better against the run but he's probably always going to be exceptionally weak in pass defense.

Kuechly comes with the concussion issue and some high cap numbers......otherwise he wouldn't be available at all because he's a DPOY candidate when healthy and still young.  I expect the Bills to inquire and contrary to popular belief we don't really know for sure what their plan is with all those draft picks.

The conventional wisdom before LAST draft was that they needed every pick they had to help patch holes......then they traded 2017 value away to the Chiefs for 2018 value....then traded up twice for Zay and Dawkins.........leaving them with a very small class.   

i really dont understand what they are doing with Dawkins.....who we gave up a lot to select....not when Mills and Decausse are.......

11 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Not to totally pee all over your parade, but Rob Quinn did a nice write-up and explanation of Cap situation. They are in a very good position with a fair amount of money and that's WITH Tyrod coming back at $18, Shady at his cap hit and Hughes at his Cap hit...none of which I think come back. 

Rob Quinn needs to stop stealing article ideas from my topics.

7 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

Rob Quinn needs to stop stealing article ideas from my topics.

For real.....charlatan that he is, lol...

In thinking more about this topic, and as I've posted several times in this thread already so I've contributed to the notion of getting / keeping players in relation to Cap, the more I realize we always think that the Bills don't have enough Cap room and they sign like, 10 players. Or, the Bills couldn't afford "this" guy, and they get him at market value with a relatively high number and we all say, 'How the hell are they doing this?'....or like the Saints, it seemed every year for 4 or 5 years they were over the Cap, but they kept signing and re-signing players....so, in retrospect, we all "think" we know how the Cap works, but really none of us have any clue. 

On 11/4/2017 at 5:50 PM, jmc12290 said:

As of today, the Bills have $21M in cap space for 2018, not including rookie contracts. 

Our pending FAs:

Kyle Williams DT 34 BUF TBD $7,433,333 UFA -
Jordan Matthews WR 25 BUF TBD $1,237,317 UFA -
Shareece Wright CB 30 BUF TBD $1,100,000 UFA -
Brandon Tate WR 30 BUF TBD $1,010,000 UFA -
Mike Tolbert FB 31 BUF TBD $980,000 UFA -
Ramon Humber OLB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -
Colt Anderson SS 32 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -
Joe Webb QB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -
Leonard Johnson CB 27 BUF TBD $855,000 UFA -
Cedric Thornton DT 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Taiwan Jones RB 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Shamarko Thomas SS 26 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Travaris Cadet RB 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Deonte Thompson WR 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Preston Brown ILB 25 BUF TBD $751,438 UFA -
Jerel Worthy DT 27 BUF TBD $600,000 UFA -
E.J. Gaines CB 25 BUF TBD $581,918 UFA -

Who do we keep?  Assuming Kyle comes back and we resign one of Gaines/Matthews, we could be looking at around $5M in spendable money next offseason.  Do we restructure TT a third time?

A few things to consider: the cap will go up another $10M or so, and we will have rollover space (figure another $10M or so).  In actuality, the Bills will start the 2018 season with around $40M in space.

I would be looking to re-sign the role-player types: Tate, Humber, Leonard Johnson, Deonte, and Worthy.  Between those guys and your 2018 draft picks, you're probably looking at--conservatively--about $15M in cap hits.

You can gain another $5M by parting ways with LorAx and Mills, but let's assume for the sake of argument that they don't do that.  That means they'll have approximately $25M to spend in FA.

The bad news is that they'll go into the season without a top QB prospect and with definite holes at: backup RB, speed WR, OG/OT (depending upon where Dawkins ends up), pass rusher, DT (x2), LB, and CB.  That's 9 immediate needs that a smart team would not count on draft picks to fill.

I would be looking to bring in 3 key FAs in the offseason, and would be hoping to take a similar approach to the offensive side of the ball that the team took on defense in 2017 FA.  Maybe look at a trio of Paul Richardson, Rex Burkhead, and Chris Hubbard--low-to-medium cost guys with low mileage and high potential.  I'd also like to see them bring in a veteran corner to take Gaines' place--I like the guy, but he gets hurt in literally every game.

Anyway, that's my first impression in looking at the cap situation for 2018.