O'Leary Fumble: Time to go to the College Rule?

O’Leary has come a long way. It looked like he wouldn’t make the team, now he’s a real contributor. That was boneheaded, but it fit right in for the night. I’ll bet he doesn’t make THAT mistake again. No, you don’t change any rules....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta make contact to have the play end with the big boys

Play to the whistle, you should know this by Pop Warner

exactly. What he did was a bonhead play. He needs to keep running. Almost every other NFL player will do this. Sometimes they keep running after 500 whistles are blown. You loose NOTHING by doing that.

Because literally everyone except the ref thought the play was dead.

And because Joe Flacco was knocked out on a play that would've been blown dead in college. And because before too long that will happen to another QB, maybe even Tyrod.

The play is blown dead in Flacco's case, that's why there was a flag on the play, he got hit high, sure, but even if he was hit period, it's a flag.

Edited by Elite Poster

I used to much prefer the NFL "down by contact" rule. What could be more exciting than a player stumbling and falling, streaking defender blowing past him and missing him, and the player getting up like a zombie and running it into the end zone?

But it's time to move on. In this age of (alleged) concussion syndrome awareness, in this age of QBs "giving up" and going into slides and then getting hammered while lying on the ground ... it seems the most obvious rule change to make for player protection. And in this age of ridiculous crowd noise pumped up by huge scoreboards exhorting fans to MAKE SOME NOISE, do we really want to base player safety considerations on whether everyone heard the whistle?

O'Leary last night was ridiculous. Everyone around him seemed to assume the play had been blown dead. He gets off the ground looking like he's going to toss the ball to the ref. And then ... did the ref wave him off? He gets up and hesitantly starts to run, and just as hesitantly tries to tuck the ball away. The Jets defenders notice what's going on and go straight into ball stripping mode. And a fine catch is turned into a disastrous outcome.

So was this thrilling? Or just kind of stupid? I've disliked the college "down is down, whether by contact or not" rule for a long time. But it's time for the NFL to move on. In 2017, we're seeing too many injuries and absurd outcomes from the old rule. Quick whistles prevent injuries.

It was Zay Jones fault. He motioned to O'Leary to turn up field and start running.

Just joking on Zay fault but he did motion him and probably prevented O'Leary from tossing the ball to ref which would not have gone any better likely.

Edited by cba fan

It wasn’t just O’Leary, the defenders seemed to stop too.... until he started running again....the whole thing was just weird. I thought the foot grazed him while down originally. Then of course it ended badly. I’m just going to put this whole game away in the back of my mind and move forward.

They should have a rule in place about a receiver conceding they are down that would not be considered a fumble. If the play is on the ground and they put down the ball on the ground they are down. were they hit and knees down and the ball cvame out this would not be a fumble.

If you had 3 defenders standing around you they could be standing waiting for you to get up so they can mug you.

What the hell was O'Leary thinking? He was still at Florida State?

Dumbest move of the night.

It was an absolute killer turnover. IIRC, we were down two scores or less at the time and the offense was (finally) spreading it out and moving the ball down the field consistently. This play pretty much ended the game. The ridiculous facemask call on Thornton was also a killer. I'd say these two plays are what turned the game from a hard-fought battle into a rout. That's just what happens sometimes.

It was an absolute killer turnover. IIRC, we were down two scores or less at the time and the offense was (finally) spreading it out and moving the ball down the field consistently. This play pretty much ended the game. The ridiculous facemask call on Thornton was also a killer. I'd say these two plays are what turned the game from a hard-fought battle into a rout. That's just what happens sometimes.

A hard fought battle?............what the hell game were you watching?

Initially I was going to agree with the "O'Leary has an awful fumble and now we need to change a rule' crowd, but after reading your reasoning about QB slides, concussions, etc. regardless of what happened last night I will agree the game has changed and maybe the rule should change to college.

On the other hand the pro rule does add more excitement which I do think the NFL tends to need more than the college game does.