D&C's Mariorana: Bills Have Interesting 2018 TT Decision?

It's not even a remotely difficult decision let alone an interesting one. It's a no-brainer. His bonus and salary are average for the position, we are in good cap shape, and have the draft capital to maneuver for a QB prospect or not. And if TT should QB us to the playoffs this season, we are precluded from doing anything BUT giving him another year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only an interesting decision to media Chicken Littles who need clicks. The decision is obvious. Exercise the option on Tyrod at $16MM, which is in the lower third of starting QB salaries. Draft whatever QB in 2018 and let them develop while Taylor starts next year. It ain't rocket surgery. This team is not going to bank on a rookie starter when that Tyrod decision needs to be made.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

at this point he is the starter next year. If they draft someone great. they sit until the following year or if Taylor play merits a replacement. THere is noway you turn this team over to a rookie next year.

Exactly. Especially if the team finishes strong this year, there would be a player revolt if TT were let go and they went into the 2018 with Peterman and a rookie. No way that happens.

if he keeps playing solid like he is now, and the bills make the playoffs, can you really let him loose? the bills can still draft a qb in the early rounds, and to be honest, 16 mill for a qb contract doesn't seem that outrageous to me at all.

When I see how little Washington seems to be excited for Cousins...it makes any GM and their taste in QBs possible that Beane could go anyway with Taylor in 2018.

Its really not an intersecting decision. If he plays well the rest of the year then you bring him back. He can start again next year while we hopefully develop a rookie. Seems pretty easy and straight forward to me.

OK - I will play...........

Who?

What pick?

Do you trade up? With who and how much do you pay?

Who is available?

How are they rated?

How does one answer this question 6 months before the draft, before the college season is over, before we knew who declares, before we know how the draft order falls and who is still available? Edited by Bangarang

if he keeps playing solid like he is now, and the bills make the playoffs, can you really let him loose? the bills can still draft a qb in the early rounds, and to be honest, 16 mill for a qb contract doesn't seem that outrageous to me at all.

I agree with all of this.

So far I feel like the Bills have been winning without Tyrod. After all the guy is still in the bottom of the league in almost every passing statistic. So I think grabbing Benjamin and Thompson (who Tyrod had history with) is Beane's way of giving Tyrod some weapons and seeing if he can really become a threat from the pocket like they hope he can.

I guess I may have worded that wrong. The Bills have the option to waive him and save decent cap space...that option.

According to Sportac: POTENTIAL OUT: 2018, 1 YR, $14,500,000; $8,640,000 DEAD CAP

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Now that you put it that way......

It only cost 8 mill more to have TT on team next year.

Assuming TT at least keeps up current pace and makes playoffs. What kind of brain dead GM/coach/org would turn that down? Basically only 8 mill for a starting QB and Bills have a lot of dead cap already for 2018. No need to add more.

update...it would add about 10 mill to keep TT next yr not 8 mill. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/ still should keep him in my scenario.

Edited by cba fan

Bring him back. $16 mil for a QB is not that much. I have no issue with drafting another QB. They have 4 picks in first two rounds. Don't trade up and let a prospect fall to you. If one does not, the worst situation is you draft four complimentary players and you do not have to target a WR now. They have lots of options with Benjamin under contract and Zay on his rookie deal.

It's pretty obvious based on the way the season is going we pick up the option. That doesn't rule out trading him on draft day to move up, but barring seeing his play fall precipitously the people who were spewing the inevitability of us not picking up his option and moving on from him at the end of the season look like a buncha jackasses.

So far I feel like the Bills have been winning without Tyrod. After all the guy is still in the bottom of the league in almost every passing statistic. So I think grabbing Benjamin and Thompson (who Tyrod had history with) is Beane's way of giving Tyrod some weapons and seeing if he can really become a threat from the pocket like they hope he can.

Except in QB rating, lack of turnovers and wins.

Look at the QB situations in Denver, SF, Cleveland, Baltimore, INDY, Miami... and Ben, Eli, nearing the end of their careers... Why would we let Taylor go now. Without someone ready to step right in and improve the situation. It shouldn't be a tough decision at all.

Look at the QB situations in Denver, SF, Cleveland, Baltimore, INDY, Miami... and Ben, Eli, nearing the end of their careers... Why would we let Taylor go now. Without someone ready to step right in and improve the situation. It shouldn't be a tough decision at all.

Add Rivers, Palmer, and probably Brees to that Ben & Eli category

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I liked what I saw from Peterman in preseason. I've also loved seeing Tyrod mature as a leader and be in a system where he can comfortably go and talk to Dennison and tell him which plays the "players" prefer having called.

Tyrod isn't going to wow us with 300 yards passing but with the acquiring of Benjamin, it will lead to Oleary, Clay, Mathews,Holmes and Jones being more open since Benjamin will require safety help.

The only thing left for us to do is hope that Tyrod pulls the trigger whenever Benjamin has a one on one situation and throw to open receivers if he's doubled.

Final verdict: If it were me, I'd keep Tyrod and draft necessary positions in the draft (defensive line and offensive line HEAVY). I wouldn't mind if our 1st 3 picks went towards upgrading the line on both sides. After that, you can fool aroumd and draft a prospect if u like or, get more needed positions filled.

I'm comfortable with Tyrod long as he has protection from the line and I'm ok with Peterman stepping in just in case something happens to TT.

I used to want a QB with all the picks we have, but the process has changed my mind. I'd rather build around Tyrod and Peterman.

The only thing that makes me want a QB is Watson. He's the only QB that has just WOW'd me. The Texans have their franchise QB n it sure wouldn't hurt to have a player like that as your QB. But there isn't a Watson that comes along every draft. I say let's be patient and stick with Tyrod and maybe eventually see how Peterman has matured and learned from the sidelines. I like the fact that we only have 2 QBs taking up a roster spot instead of the 3 we're used to.

Except in QB rating, lack of turnovers and wins.

Wins isn't a QB stat. I'll give him the Tampa game because the defense was getting gashed and he stepped up in a big way. Point being is I don't see him doing that consistently. Beane and McDermott are giving him every opportunity though.

....so would you still pull the trigger on $6 mil roster bonus AND draft a QB in the 1st of 2018 or let him walk?......probably as premature question so far, but the kid is certainly showing signs of improvement....except for the >300 yd yipsters who don't matter......"W's" do period..............

If Tyrod Taylor keeps playing well, Bills have an interesting decision for 2018
Sal Maiorana, @salmaiorana Published 2:57 p.m. ET Oct. 31, 2017 | Updated 5:35 p.m. ET Oct. 31, 2017

ORCHARD PARK – The NFL trading deadline almost passed without incident, but at the very last minute, the Bills made a huge move by acquiring wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin from the Carolina Panthers. This on the heels of the big trade of Marcell Dareus last week.

As for monumental decision-making, that’s pretty much it for general manager Brandon Beane until the start of the 2018 league year in early March because from now until then, there will be just the typical weekly tweaks to the active and practice squad rosters.

But on that third day of the NFL calendar in 2018, the Bills have a whopper of a decision to make: Pay Tyrod Taylor the $6 million roster bonus he will be owed, bumping his salary to $16 million for the year, or move on from the man who has been the starting quarterback since 2015.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/10/31/tyrod-taylor-contract-buffalo-bills/818319001/

He's our starter until we find someone better, AND you are always looking to get better. I'd extend his contract, as he has a lot of trade value right now. If we don't find someone better, he is our starter next season and I'm comfortable with that