Bills better off surrounding Taylor than replacing him?

dezertbill

Bills, thru draft or FA, will need:

1 or 2 DL next year (I would be surprised if Kyle is back)

At least 2 LBs

A guard

WR

QB (I would not be surprised if pick is currently under the radar)

RB (youth)

Depth at a lot of positions

I also think some of these picks next year will be traded for future higher picks.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although as discussed that is not the greatest example because Brees played with not just a bad defense but an all-time record setting bad defense. Give Brees a D that's just bad and he is in the playoffs. As he will be this year.

Thats true but the fact remains that there isnt a correlation between passing yards and winning moreso than a top running game. There are a bunch of ways to win in the NFL.You play to your talent. Edited by Kirby Jackson

what's kind of funny...

People keep saying Taylors got a long ball, he HAS had "deep" threats yet in 3 years he's still had some of the fewest passing yards in the league....

1+1=3 I guess.

Before you champions get upset that is not an insult to TT

Raw passing yards stat correlates more with attempts. I think it was 2015 Taylor was like top 5 in deep pass completions.

I think our ceiling with Taylor is basically Alex Smith.

He will win us a lot of games in the regular season but once we get in the playoffs where teams are better and can force him to stay in the pocket and beat him with his arm, we will be in trouble and exit quickly.

If the goal is to simply make the playoffs year in and year out, then stick with Taylor. With the glut of high end draft talent we can get next year, a few saavy FA pickups and the good defense playing complement to Taylor's not turning the ball over mentality, we can win a lot of games.

If it's to win the Super Bowl then we need to find someone better.

Taylor isn't bad...he's actually pretty good when the defense isn't giving up 25 point a game like last year...he just has some limitations that will hinder us in some games when he is forced to carry the load.

How did that work out for the Raiders on Sunday? I think we whooped on them pretty good

Not to mention, anytime a team gets into the playoffs they have a chance to make it happen. Would they be favored if they went into Pittsburgh or Foxboro this year? No, but I wouldn't be shocked if we beat either team...ANY...GIVEN...SUNDAY!

Edited by PaattMaann

They are best trying to do both. Let's see where the QBs stand come January but at the moment I don't see a "sell the farm" guy there. So go in with the mindset that one of your first 4 picks will be a Quarterback but don't force it and use the other picks to put talent around Taylor.

Tyrod will be the starter next year unless a rook beats him out.

This. Teams that have an entrenched, elite starter spend more draft capital on QB than the Bills have, historically. Time for the "well, we got a guy, so let's skip QB in this draft and see...." plan to change.

That said, no need to toss Taylor. Keep him and let the rook fight to beat him out.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I dont see a ton of progress. I see largely the same player as the last few years. TT is good enough to win with and can lift inferior talent around him with his playmaking ability. Hes going to make a few plays each week, both good and bad, that very few QBs make. Hes always going to be hard to quantify because he plays a different style. TT is a middle of the road NFL starter.

You and I agreeing Kirby is getting to be a habit.

From what I've seen on the field, I still think Tyrod Taylor is too limited and inconsistent as a "passer." Yes, he's good enough to get us into double-digit wins. But at some point during a playoff run, I'm afraid his weaknesses are going to catch up to us. At some point, we will need our QB to take over the game with his arm. Either the defense will have a bad game, or the running game will get shut down. A bad game in the regular season, and you can rebound the next week. A bad game in the playoffs and you are done.

If our ultimate goal is a Super Bowl win, I'm just not sure Taylor has the skills to accomplish that.

That doesn't mean I want Taylor gone. Far from it. Even if we draft his future replacement, I think it's best to keep Taylor in place as a veteran stopgap and slowly develop a young QB on the sidelines (similar to what Kansas City is doing with Alex Smith/Patrick Holmes, or what Green Bay did years ago with Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers). In my opinion, this is the best way to continue winning games and pushing for playoff contention, while attempting to upgrade the league's most important position.

I dont see a ton of progress. I see largely the same player as the last few years. TT is good enough to win with and can lift inferior talent around him with his playmaking ability. Hes going to make a few plays each week, both good and bad, that very few QBs make. Hes always going to be hard to quantify because he plays a different style. TT is a middle of the road NFL starter.

Not a ton, but enough for now and keep the progressing going forward.

SO long as he continues what he has shown the past 2 games I say draft a QB who can sit behind and learn and then load the team with needed talent. If Taylor can give a few more years, the team can give him talent for the now, who will develop and ultimately be there for the QB in waiting. The intangible is the team loves Taylor and to boot him off while his play is adequate would hurt the process.

It is amazing how a Defense that can score nearly 7 ppg can make a QB look like he's improved.

I'm not saying that TT hasn't made progress, just pointing out what some people perceive.

Our defense has scored 2 TDs. That's 0.3 per game. Edited by Scott7975

QB’s take some time to develop (usually). If the right guy is available the Bills should draft him even if it means trading a combination of the picks they have in their pocket. Taylor is not the answer long term. Look at KC they got aggressive about picking a guy they wanted in the last draft. You can’t sit idle.

Raw passing yards stat correlates more with attempts. I think it was 2015 Taylor was like top 5 in deep pass completions.

It would be nice to see that return.

Even if he's only 90% You never know when a Ref will have his eyes open and we get a PI in our favor on deep passes.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

What's happening right now is the perfect situation for the Bills, we will options. We will have cap room, a stockpile of draft picks, and possibly a solid starting QB in TT.

This front office set us up perfectly for the future.

Fully agree. Taylor has improved which gives you the luxury of still drafting a QB without having to start day one. This team still needs playmakers. Need to upgrade LB core. Like Milano but not sure about starting. Need a WR stud, DT, CB depth and then fill in with BPA. Lots of flexibility right now for the Bills.

Ridiculous to think how Rex bombed at coaching this team!

Edited by TFBillsfan