More “painful” layoffs coming for espn

YoloinOhio

And ESPN radio is awful too. Just a total crap product now. I guess the website is still pretty good - I pretty much leave that page open all afternoon on NFL Sundays. But other than that, it has descended into total irrelevance.

About the only show I can listen to anymore is Mike and Mike. LeBatard doesn't even talk about sports. Bomani Jones just talks about how he hates white people. Too much SJW'ing going on. Keep politics out of sports. If i wanted politics, I'd tune to one of those channels. I tune to ESPN radio to listen to sports.

The only one that sticks to strictly sports with actual good insight is Mike and Mike.

i didnt hear it but will listen. I watched it play out on twitter and it was ... something

It was interesting, to say the least, and I think they hit the right tones on the podcast. I like those guys( i am admittedly way out of their target demographic) but cringe on some things they say.

Try to fit in PMT and Kornheiser as much as I can, cant get two more different styles!

Won't be missed. The yelling and screaming hip hop lingo during replays is stupid and childish. But ESPN banked on two things: that men want scantily glad young women to deliver their sports regardless of their skills and that their target audience is always men 18-24 what want cool lingo and yelling and screaming. Neither are true.

Just turned it on to see if I could get annoyed. Yep. Calling a hockey assist a dime is exactly what I mean. Why I don't watch. Just stupid. Hope they disappear and my cable price goes down.

ESPN like cable news is now 97% talking heads giving opinions, 3% real news and sports "opinion" is over-saturated. Those opinions either turn people off or just wear you out and ultimately make their on-air personalities unlikable.

Used to be the best channel for sports. Watched SportsCenter all the time....haven't watched in many years. What happened?

Besides their programming going straight to ****, they have also engaged in the political arena, choosing a side and promoting it.

As an example, just look into situations with Ditka and Jamele Hill. People don't want politics with their sports, that has been established, and firing ditka because he wanted to vote for Trump, and keeping Hill after she called him a white supremacist shows the double standard, and that only one opinion is allowed at disney.

Sports outlets could learn something from Michael Jordan who refused to engage politically, famously saying "republicans buy sneakers too".

Besides their programming going straight to ****, they have also engaged in the political arena, choosing a side and promoting it.

As an example, just look into situations with Ditka and Jamele Hill. People don't want politics with their sports, that has been established, and firing ditka because he wanted to vote for Trump, and keeping Hill after she called him a white supremacist shows the double standard, and that only one opinion is allowed at disney.

Sports outlets could learn something from Michael Jordan who refused to engage politically, famously saying "republicans buy sneakers too".

If you think Ditka was fired cause of his political views and not because he is a dithering idiot that cant string a sentence together than i have a bridge for sale

The happy hour programing (Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption) are good, fun sports shows and non political. Take more the one hour of programing to save a network. They can save big buck cutting MNF. Not worth the investment. Good for networks as it gives them a chance to promote other shows on the network (as seen during CBS and FOX). ESPN is till better than FS1, but they need to get back to basic and bring back winning formulas personality driven sports centers.

It was interesting, to say the least, and I think they hit the right tones on the podcast. I like those guys( i am admittedly way out of their target demographic) but cringe on some things they say.

Try to fit in PMT and Kornheiser as much as I can, cant get two more different styles!

La Cheeserie?

....when Steven A-Hole Smith is your lead dawg, you know your ship is sinking........go back to the original days circa 1979....Berman, the late Tom Mees, (forget Obermann), etc and watching the network evolve into top notch SPORTS reporting.....now, just rename it DISNEY CHANNEL II.........the good guys are all gone and what's left is garbage that Waste Management would NOT even pick up on Mondays.....character casters and movie producers dabbling in the sports world is a poisonous mix.....

Darn millennials are ruining everything !!!

What was wrong with the bar stool?

Darn millennials are ruining everything !!!

What was wrong with the bar stool?

Espn gave them a show, Ponder tweeted that she was disappointed they gave them a show and screen shotted some nasty sexist stuff they said about her 3 years ago. Then they tried to take her down by digging through her tweets and found some interesting stuff from 7 years ago. She then apologized but her and Sarah Spain got espn to cancel the Barstool show after 1 episode. Then they found more old tweets from Ponder and also from Spain that were nasty toward fellow female sports journalists and the hypocrisy meter was in overdrive.

Dont love the channel but still watch College Gameday for a bit every Saturday morning. I think they do a hell of a job with shows like SC Featured and 30 for 30. Their programming changed a lot with the errosion of journalism as a whole. Shows like the Sports Reporters, Outside the Lines, Sunday Morning Conversation and even those Make a Wish type features they did on SC had a lot of content in short spans of time. Now you get hours of programming where no one says anything remotely thoughtful, just quick takes that make headlines but have no lasting power outside of scandal. They made a huge mistake where they went from focusing on the story to focusing on what someone thinks of the story.

Espn gave them a show, Ponder tweeted that she was disappointed they gave them a show and screen shotted some nasty sexist stuff they said about her 3 years ago. Then they tried to take her down by digging through her tweets and found some interesting stuff from 7 years ago. She then apologized but her and Sarah Spain got espn to cancel the Barstool show after 1 episode. Then they found more old tweets from Ponder and also from Spain that were nasty toward fellow female sports journalists and the hypocrisy meter was in overdrive.

So the barstool is like TMZ?

Used to be the best channel for sports. Watched SportsCenter all the time....haven't watched in many years. What happened?

Chris Berman/Stuart Scott happened aka the anchors wanted to be more of the show than just talking heads which takes away from the highlights etc.

Edited by The Jokeman

I, for one, take no joy in hearing about layoffs from any company. I fail to see how hoping for ESPN's demise is much of a good thing. If you don't like the programming, don't watch it. Don't like your cable bill, unplug as many have.

Having lived through the 70s in Buffalo, I have some idea of the devastating toll layoffs can have on people, big and small. My current employer is also going through a layoff process. Real people are being hurt and their lives are turned upside down. One of my colleagues killed himself after being laid off. Statistically, this happens everywhere.

My thoughts are with those employees that are about to get laid off (if true) at ESPN. They likely won't find as well paying an employer even if they find continued employment in their field. Many of these folks are not going to be "on air", highly paid talent. They are just working schmoes like the rest of us.

ESPN like cable news is now 97% talking heads giving opinions, 3% real news and sports "opinion" is over-saturated. Those opinions either turn people off or just wear you out and ultimately make their on-air personalities unlikable.

Yup. Like I always say, when I was a kid there was enough news each day for one 30 minute broadcast. And there still is.

Hour after hour of four idiots who call themselves reporters sitting around blabbing about some other idiot reporter who twittered something about yet another idiot reporter.......it's honestly no different from the Real Housewives shows. Can't fathom who would watch that.