Kaep will sit at table with Owners: What would you ask him?

I think because he's a mid 20s dude that got caught up and being new-ish in the scene he was in probably wasn't mature enough to sort through a lot of the content around him. Again, just speculating but I suspect there was a sudden rush and a lot of people around him with an f the police attitude

I saw a teaser on espn with the army vet but not the full segment so I can't say 100% but the gist was what I posted

And I agree on the socks -- and think he probably realized what he actually did pretty quickly as we never saw THAT again

Both are true. Eric Reid approached him to kneel. They talked about it. Then spoke with a Green Beret.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/colin-kaepernick-football-protests.html

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think because he's a mid 20s dude that got caught up and being new-ish in the scene he was in probably wasn't mature enough to sort through a lot of the content around him. Again, just speculating but I suspect there was a sudden rush and a lot of people around him with an f the police attitude

...and I won’t blame (almost) any mid 20 year old for that. In fact, Iove that in people who want to make good changes. I do NOT love that in my QB who we have to trust to make solid decisions.

I think that's making excuses for bad behavior. 1 page ago, the narrative was Kaep is a misunderstood, thoughtful, intelligent pariah.. Now he's an immature 20-something?

And a year removed from the incident and no apology? No contrition? When is he gonna mature? Why should I pay attention to a guy who fluctuates between "immature and juvenile" and "thoughtful and intelligent" at the drop of a hat, depending on what outrageous thing he does next?

It is definitely making excuses for bad behavior. All of us have done stupid stuff. I think that was an incredibly dumb thing done by a generally smart guy... and my experience in the real world is that this isn't rare.

He's young. He's on the new side of the being an activist. And suddenly he was the face of it for the entire nation. I'd be baffled if he didn't say or do some dumb things along the way. I agree he should own it. I don't think it makes him a disingenuous idiot though.

Just like I'm trying to get your stance, I've spent some time trying to imagine what the last few years have been from his perspective too.

...and I wont blame (almost) any mid 20 year old for that. In fact, Iove that in people who want to make good changes. I do NOT love that in my QB who we have to trust to make solid decisions.

And ignoring team leader, brand representative/ambassador -- I get that 100% and I'm not outraged by the dynamics of him not being on a team even if I think he'd make sense at a certain price and that some of the outrage is overdone

It is definitely making excuses for bad behavior. All of us have done stupid stuff. I think that was an incredibly dumb thing done by a generally smart guy... and my experience in the real world is that this isn't rare.

He's young. He's on the new side of the being an activist. And suddenly he was the face of it for the entire nation. I'd be baffled if he didn't say or do some dumb things along the way. I agree he should own it. I don't think it makes him a disingenuous idiot though.

Just like I'm trying to get your stance, I've spent some time trying to imagine what the last few years have been from his perspective too.

Why not? If he apologized for it being something stupid, that'd be one thing. We got crickets, NoSaint.

We don't even know if he thinks it was a mistake. Not really.

Oh, and I don't think you and I are far off in our stances. Even the fences we are on opposite sides of - it doesn't seem to infuriate you. I think you catch that he's kind of a flawed human trying to do well, for the most part. Those that are super enraged I like to ask why... I figure if I expect them to try to get a guy like CK I should try to get them

It must feel good to know you are close to being right! :)

Haha

He'd probably have something thoughtful to say about it. He's a very smart guy. 4.0 high school student. 4.0 college student. 1650 SATs. 38 Wonderlic. People that think he's just some dumb, spoiled or angry street thug are ill-informed idiots. I understand if you don't agree with his stance or his actions one bit. People mouthing off about him knowing nothing about him are 10x more ignorant than they are accusing him of being. And I'm against him kneeling for the anthem and always was.

He's reasonably intelligent but some of the dumbest things I've ever heard have come from the mouths of very intelligent people. His problem is likely not one of intellectual or even moral deficiency, but rather one of simple cognitive bias. He picked this **** up sitting in on lectures at UC Berkeley where intelligent people go to learn to rationalize the absurd.

And although he's not a moron, he's no genius either. 1650 is a reasonably good SAT score, but it's nothing special. It would keep the average white guy or asian out of a top school.

He's reasonably intelligent but some of the dumbest things I've ever heard have come from the mouths of very intelligent people. His problem is likely not one of intellectual or even moral deficiency, but rather one of simple cognitive bias. He picked this **** up sitting in on lectures at UC Berkeley where intelligent people go to learn to rationalize the absurd.

And although he's not a moron, he's no genius either. 1650 is a reasonably good SAT score, but it's nothing special. It would keep the average white guy or asian out of a top school.

And that's the problem in categorizing guys in really simple absolutes. Smart people can do dumb things. Good people do bad things. It's easy to rationalize that a well intentioned 26 year old activist wears stupid pig socks without it being the hugest of huge deals (again, not saying it's good- I thought it far over the line too)

Hell, beyond this, as a team you have to look at other things like his vegan diet or when he decided to wear dolphins gear while the San Fran starter. He's a tough guy to take a risk on. But if you can get him on a low risk contract he can be a decent reward and I don't think it'd be quite the circus (we tend to over rate the size of the sideshow when discussing stuff like this)

Edited by NoSaint

I can't find anything on the Internet backing anything up that you've written here.

Can you tell me how you know that Kaepernick "picked this **** up sitting in on lectures at UC Berkeley?"

Also, can you define "average white guy or Asian?"

While you're at it, define, "top school."

And show me where said "average white guys/Asians" are kept out of "top schools," based on SAT scores of around 1650. And if they were kept out, then who got in??

Or you can just admit that you have no clue what you're talking about. I'll wait. Oh ... and don't forget to use a bunch of big words ... and LATIN !!! You know I love when you use that LATIN!

I can't find anything on the Internet backing anything up that you've written here.

Can you tell me how you know that Kaepernick "picked this **** up sitting in on lectures at UC Berkeley?"

And show me where said "average white guys/Asians" are kept out of "top schools," based on SAT scores of around 1650. And if they were kept out, then who got in??

Or you can just admit that you have no clue what you're talking about. I'll wait. Oh ... and don't forget to use a bunch of big words ... and LATIN !!! You know I love when you use that LATIN!

this is the most absurd thing you've written today. Schools accept based on racial quotas and other data. A white man is ledd likely to be accepted to most colleges than a white pregnant woman. A native American - Elizabeth Warren🤣 - can get invited over those two. A black Eskimo might win the day until a Chinese Mexican from Ghana comes aboard.

Either way, your argument is poor. It's on you to prove what he said wrong. It'd how arguments work.

this is the most absurd thing you've written today. Schools accept based on racial quotas and other data. A white man is ledd likely to be accepted to most colleges than a white pregnant woman. A native American - Elizabeth Warren - can get invited over those two. A black Eskimo might win the day until a Chinese Mexican from Ghana comes aboard.

Either way, your argument is poor. It's on you to prove what he said wrong. It'd how arguments work.

I'm not arguing. I'm asking someone to back up what they've written, which is a common request on this board. And I asked him. Not you. And not LA Billz. He's a big boy and he is VERY smart (he goes to law school, you know).

The part about him picking it up at UC Berkeley came from an interview with Sean King.

And I don't get the latin thing.

The rest of your post isn't worthy of a reply.

Tell you what. You go ahead and list your lifetime achievements first. Then go ask someone to google Kaep's for you.

There will come a day when the incredible difference between what you consider to be amazing lifetime achievements and what everyone else considers to be amazing lifetime achievements will hit you like 100 pounds of wet laundry dropped from 10 stories up.

Kaep played a professional sport very well.

So did O.J. So did Alan Hernandez. So did Ray Rice.

Beyond playing a professional sport very well, I can find 15 people in my freaking neighborhood who have accomplished more amazing lifetime achievements than Kaep will ever understand, and you don't see them spending one moment of time opting out of their efforts, extolling the virtues of Fidel Castro, or wearing socks depicting cops as pigs in order to make a point.

Heads up for that laundry, Gugney.

I'm a racist. I hate people of all races equally. That includes you whitey.

That should be "I'm not racist, I oppress everyone equally regardless of the color of their skin."

This thread is a shining example of why I just decided a couple of weeks ago to simply hate blacks. It's so much easier at this point to live the "racist" label applied to me, rather than try to defend myself against the charge.