Prepare to see some heavy formations on offense this week

Logic

The pass needs to set up the run.

If the pass game fails, so will the entire offense.

That is the west coast run/pass balance in a nutshell. Theyve been working on it for months. I find it dubious that they would be able to change the offense to a run oriented, power based approach in one off week- even if the players are familiar with the concepts from the last couple of seasons. It takes more than a week to make that substantial a change.

Plus, why would you think that their current coaching staff is remotely as good at understanding and implementing that type of scheme as the last one was? Its not their offense.

I think they should focus on moving forward at this point and work on the passing game.

Edited by vincec

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The running game in preseason was fine. That's why it wasn't changed. It was fine vs the jets......and then it broke. Hard to change things up in preseason if things aren't broken. Now that the run game IS broken, they're trying to fix it.

time will tell.

Like around 100pm EST.

they have to fix both run and pass.

how fast is Deonte Thompson again? Can he get over his coverage ?

By the way, lets assume this is all true what is reported, is it really smart to tip off your opponent that you might be changing offensive scheme? I just cant see something like this coming out in Foxboro.

Back in the day everyone knew the Pack was runnihg the Power Sweep but Vince didn't care.

Run game is about physicality. Beat the guy you need to block and it works.

...LMAO....in that era with no CBA protection, Vince would use your gonads as pin cushions.....so you better do as "thy say".... :thumbsup:

While acknowledging the concussion stuff and the steps taken now the make things safer, it was a better game back then. Line up and beat the guy across from you.

While acknowledging the concussion stuff and the steps taken now the make things safer, it was a better game back then. Line up and beat the guy across from you.

....ah, the old days....Billy Shaw would leave his cement mixing job and come play for Bflo to earn a whopping 18 grand and then return home to mix cement...minis? OTA's?...TC?...huh?......guy mixed cement until he was 66 before he could retire....today?.....Divas reign supreme and ignore the Billy like grunts that paved the way....................

Back in the day everyone knew the Pack was runnihg the Power Sweep but Vince didn't care.

Except that doesn't work in a zone blocking scheme...yet another poster who posts genarlities without understanding technical aspects. The "just beat the guy in front of you" works if you are running a man-to-man blocking scheme, it most certainly doesn't work if you are runnig a zone scheme...primarily because the player across from you is almost never the one you are blocking.

Too bad that there's usually one too many to block due to our lack of a passing game

Except that doesn't work in a zone blocking scheme...yet another poster who posts genarlities without understanding technical aspects. The "just beat the guy in front of you" works if you are running a man-to-man blocking scheme, it most certainly doesn't work if you are runnig a zone scheme...primarily because the player across from you is almost never the one you are blocking.

Right. I don't like the zone stuff. You may have more technical knowledge, but perhaps the issue is that things are too technical. Two problems with O line play today: guys come out of college not knowing how to truly block and schemes being so technical these guys can't play well. Football in its purest form is taking on and defeating the guy across from you. Go one on one and beat the other guy.

Too bad that there's usually one too many to block due to our lack of a passing game

Seems they're keeping several tackles so throw in an extra one. And I'm not opposed to some nice play action.

Win your individual battle every play and go from there

The biggest thing that I dont understand is why dont people listen to you JB? Its all haha when you throw things at the wall but they stick almost every time!

the next thing I'd like to do is see some zone blitzes and bring some dick lebeau aspects to our d. Dropping a corner blitz won't work but a nickel blitz against Winston would be effective

Don't think the coach's zone blocking scheme is going away. I do however, think that they are adding plays to the playbook. This team lead the league in rushing for 2 strait years, so it's not like they don't know how to block. No doubt in my mind that they will incorporate some plays that worked well for the last couple of years. Honestly, I don't see how the run game can possibly be contained any longer.

There really isn't anything wrong with either an inside zone or an outside zone. Execution is part of it, but after the success week one against the Jets the run game was shut down by some very good defenses. Buffalo's run game has been effective not because of a particular scheme. They mixed it up with heavy packages, zone and option plays. This gives a defense a lot to think about. Now that the coaches are adding more run plays, I fully expect a breakout game.....starting this week.

McCoy is definitely due.

Damn fine post Pops !

Henderson is inactive today.

oh well for the unbalanced line

Right. I don't like the zone stuff. You may have more technical knowledge, but perhaps the issue is that things are too technical. Two problems with O line play today: guys come out of college not knowing how to truly block and schemes being so technical these guys can't play well. Football in its purest form is taking on and defeating the guy across from you. Go one on one and beat the other guy.

Seems they're keeping several tackles so throw in an extra one. And I'm not opposed to some nice play action.

Win your individual battle every play and go from there

This is what i had presumed you meant.

O line has been struggling greatly. More than one mention has been made about better execution over play calling being the weakness.. Maybe dumb it down for a couple plays/quarter and just get a hat on a guy and move him, or not.

Looking forward to the run game today and what they present

AP racked up 130 yrs on Tampa so you know Shady wants at least 150

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

...and he went from 93 octane down to 87.......if Dennison does not have this club ready (I'll exclude Castillo from discussion), something is woefully wrong..........