They need to win the next three games in a row...

Another Fan

I don't think there is any such thing as a statement game in Week 3 as the OP suggests Chargers in 2014 was. The statement games that year that we blew was the Chiefs and Dolphins later in the season in back to back weeks.

We absolutely don't have to go 3-0 over the next three. If we do that would put us in the running for not just a wild card or division title but a #1 or #2 overall seed. I do think we need to go 2-1 for us fans to have faith that this team isn't just the same ol' Bills. And one of those two wins has to be this Sunday for this place to not meltdown.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 out of 3 is the minimum but realistically a playoff team wins 3 in a row. The Bucs could be without Jamis and that's a must win. The Raiders are struggling and who knows how healthy Carr could be. Then you have the Jets who are a division opponent and you have to take care of business in your own division.

At 6-2 the team is in a good place going into a tough stretch of games against the Saints, @Chargers, @KC, and The Pats*. If at 6-2 you split those 4 games (Take care of the Chargers and then steal one of the other 3 games) you go to 8-4 and you put yourself in a nice place heading into the last 4 games of the season.

It isn't a necessity to win 3 in a row but when you see the schedule you need to get fat while you can.

I will actually say if they are a true playoff contender (which I don't think at this point they are) they need to win 4 out of the next 5 games. Puts them at 7-3 going into KC/NE. I think they will win 2 out of the next 5 t put them at 5-5 & then they will get bombed by KC & NE in typical Bills fashion.

Edited by Gordio

If the bills could get to 7-3, talk about serious momentum before a brutal murderers row type of finish especially with the Pats and Dolphins x2 in December.

But then again it would be great to see this team actually get better and play their best football for once in Nov/Dec instead of Sep/Oct.

One thing is clear though, unless the Pats go on a tear and win out like they usually do the division might actually be decided in the closing weeks of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-earthing this thread tonight the Tampa & Oakland wins were nice even if the Tampa one had some agita.

But this is what I was getting at initially, this Jets game is almost all but a must win if they consider themselves a playoff team. No doubt it won't come easy, but it's winning/losing games like this that separate us from being a 7-9 win team versus a playoff one

Edited by Another Fan

Re-earthing this thread tonight the Tampa & Oakland wins were nice even if the Tampa one had some agita.

But this is what I was getting at initially, this Jets game is almost all but a must win if they consider themselves a playoff team. No doubt it won't come easy, but it's winning/losing games like this that separate us from being a 7-9 win team versus a playoff one

Agreed. Have to win the games you are expected to win.

The Thursday night aspect unfortunately makes this game really difficult to use for predicting anything.

Wish week 1 and Thursday night (because of short rest) were the two games on each teams' schedule that are decided by the previous season record.

In order to be a playoff team. All three games are very winnable and would make a statement. In prior years we've always came up short in what I'd consider statement games:

2014 Week 3 loss versus San Diego. Had a chance to go 3-0 but lost against a team they could've beat.

2015 Week 12 against Kansas City. They were 5-5 and I believe KC had the same record at that point? Anyway would have said something to beat a team on the road competing for the playoffs too.

2016 Week 7 against Miami. Would have been 5-2 if we won and would've been tied with the Pats at the time for first place.

So yes we lost all these games. Playoff teams don't lose these games. Playoff teams will win the next three before facing Miami and New England twice. This is the difference between a 7 to 9 win team versus a playoff team

Actually they don't need to do anything other than finish with a record and tie breaker advantage that beats the other teams in the AFC for the 6th spot. That's what they NEED to do to make the playoffs

Saints and Chargers were looking like not-very-good teams at the beginning of the year...but they're both pretty good teams...the Saints maybe a great one.

Chargers are still kind of meh up and down like the Raiders, but not as good on the up. Will still be a tough game with the long travel though.

Edited by Scott7975

Chargers are still kind of meh up and down like the Raiders, but not as good on the up. Will still be a tough game with the long travel though.

It's all about matchups. I'm more worried about the Chargers than I was the Raiders because the Chargers have Melvin Gordon.