Next man up is not good enough

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's Greg Salas? Justin Hunter? JK!!! Kick the tires with Walt Powell? Is Rod Streater still hurt? We all liked Reily in pre-season. With an above average QB, these guys would suffice. In a good scheme and average QB, they'd definitely be serviceable. Problem is we have a below average passing QB in a weak/predictable/vanilla system. TT doesn't throw guys open, doesn't take chances, loves to dump off to RB and short passes to TE. We all complain about our WR group, but how many times has TT given them a chance to make a play? Yeah, they've had a few drops (Zay), but they just are getting the opportunity to make plays. Tate has been undervalued by this coaching staff. How about that TD catch he had?

I've been a TT supporter, and I'm not calling for Peterman (yet), but he needs to start getting WR involved more and stop being so gun shy.

Edited by OhDozeBills

I think a telling statement is when McDermott pointed out there was a “silver lining “ with the injuries as he discussed missing clay for weeks. He stated it gave a chance for 5 rookies to get substantial playing time. If he is putting the spin of seeing a silver lining when you have just lost your leading receiver and best offensive mismatch for game planning , I believe that signals they don’t plan on bringing any significant outside players in and the only possible change I see might be if forced by sheer lack of bodies they have to bring up a player from our practice squad. Adding any other ps players rather than ours is unlikely to reallly benefit since they wont know the offense and who is just sitting on a ps anyhow that could jump start this mess of questionable offensive play calling ,experimentation at the 5th game with offensive line combinations that make no reasonable sense with “healthy” scratches of prior starters, and a limited qb who is a good scrambler being forced to be a pocket passer by defensive planning or our own offensive philosophy? If you are standing there seriously saying that there is a silver lining after watching 5 weeks of a passing attack that ranks 31 st in the league even with Clay and Matthews present for 4 of those games, then you are willing to stick it out the remaining of this season with the decisions made in the preseason when these problems were already evident and choices were made to trade players for draft picks. To give away picks now would make those prior moves appear foolish and I don’t see McDermott or Mcbean being willing to lose credibility so soon in their tenure.

I also can’t see any scenario of trading ShAdy because you have a locker room full of veteran players who do want to win now and that type of move would not go over well given he is the only playmaker left on the offense. The defensive players aren’t idiots and they see the lack of talent on the other side of the ball so try keeping them buying into the process if you completely dismantle the offense now by looking toward the future. I think some of them would even question the commitment to this season if by some crazy chance Peterman replaced Tyrod this early in the season. McDermotts actions say it all. They already tried to just go with Philly Brown as their wr move and would have stuck with him had they not had a shortage of corners this week. I bet they place clay on Ir with him being the possible one player eligible to come back later in the season ( however as a physician I am pessimistic he will return this year with a meniscal tear , mcl sprain that could possibly be a high grade sprain or partial tear, while already having problems with his other knee ). They may possibly bring philly back and stick with O’Leary and Logan so they know what they have at TE before the draft. I am impressed by the defense, happy to be tied for first in the division, yet it’s frustrating to see how any decent production from the offense might actually make us a playoff contender this year. I would be very surprised to see any trades or new acquisitions based on McDermott’s statements so far.

Not after week 5 and with a bye week.

There is no excuse for not finding a TE and WR to help this year.

There are multiple teams where the wheels are falling off. Go get Bryant from Pittsburgh. TY Hilton. The Cardinals are imploding.

Go make a move. They have the ammunition to win now.

If they don't make a trade to get better, then they should trade Shady and just admit they wanted to tank all along.

They have the ammunition to win maybe 9 games now. Maybe.

Wouldn't mind them trading Shady, but what they're actually doing isn't tanking. No such thing in the NFL. There are such things as complete rebuilds and we aren't doing one. From my point of view that's unfortunate, but it's the way things are.

I'll listen to others, and then think for myself. I don't WANT them to give up picks for a WR this year. It's not about this year. Look down the road a bit, which is what I think they are doing. I'm not a Crossman fan, so mixed emotions there.

I don't want to give up picks either

Not unless it's like a 5th, 6th or 7th rounder

Not after week 5 and with a bye week.

There is no excuse for not finding a TE and WR to help this year.

There are multiple teams where the wheels are falling off. Go get Bryant from Pittsburgh. TY Hilton. The Cardinals are imploding.

Go make a move. They have the ammunition to win now.

If they don't make a trade to get better, then they should trade Shady and just admit they wanted to tank all along.

Did you miss the part where we had but actively got rid of the WR talent that would have helped this year?

They did that in favor of next year and the years after that.

The team is not in a "win now" mindset and they are not going to be.

Realistically, I'm not aware of anyone who could come in off the street and make an immediate, significant difference. I agree with most if the posters here that they won't trade any draft capital either.

Like it or not, there are backup players on this team. They are paid for this exact scenario. They made an NFL roster so they must have some level of talent.

At this point, we'll have to see what OLeary is capable of. Logan Thomas hasn't been used much. I know next to nothing about Lee, so I'm not going to sit here and tell you he sucks.

Its a temporary problem, and this is how teams deal with temporary problems.

Zay Jones off to a poor start , Matthews out is loading the box against Shady .

Castillo and his complex OL scheme is not catching on yet , especially against a loaded box.

Miller was good at RG last season , but not with this new system.

I would not trade any of the 6 high picks . Taylor is better at scrambling and run option

Just let this season play out and get better draft position. jmo

Edited by ALF

They aren't going to make any trades that don't fit their long term goals. They have a clear and concise vision and they are going to stick to it. This isn't a willy nilly make splash moves FO, much like what we saw with Whaley.

This under no scenario was ever going to be "the year". This was always meant to be the year that they began building the foundation of what good disciplined team football was going to be about. To begin changing the culture and instilling a new team attitude.

The team lacks talent to be a serious contender, the fact that they are playing this well and could easily be 5-0 speaks to what they are achieving. Next year they will be filling up the cupboard with talent and even more so the year after.

Even with the marginal talent that we have we are a fringe playoff contender. That gives me lots of reasoned hope for the future.

They aren't going to make any trades that don't fit their long term goals. They have a clear and concise vision and they are going to stick to it. This isn't a willy nilly make splash moves FO, much like what we saw with Whaley.

This under no scenario was ever going to be "the year". This was always meant to be the year that they began building the foundation of what good disciplined team football was going to be about. To begin changing the culture and instilling a new team attitude.

The team lacks talent to be a serious contender, the fact that they are playing this well and could easily be 5-0 speaks to what they are achieving. Next year they will be filling up the cupboard with talent and even more so the year after.

Even with the marginal talent that we have we are a fringe playoff contender. That gives me lots of reasoned hope for the future.

I agree, this team is very well coached, very disciplined and knows what they are supposed to be doing on every play. Teams like that are very hard outs in the NFL...

Dragon...while that might sound good on paper...the problem with the Bills is their lack of depth at virtually EVERY position. Any depth they had, they traded away for draft picks. So now, who is going to make a trade with them? And for which players on our roster? The answer can only be trading away those same draft picks that you just traded for. Is that your plan?

Well, why not add "shuffle the draft pick" game to the "shuffle the DB" and "shuffle the WR" and "shuffle the RB" games that the Bills have been playing for the past 17 or 18 years? The Bills may have new faces along the sidelines, in the FO, and even in the owners' box, but damn, they're still operating under the same philosophy that's been guiding the team since at least the Music City Miracle: profit is more important than wins. They do this by letting the good DBs, WRs, and RBs that they've developed leave either through FA or trade rather than pay them the going rate for players of their caliber. They replace them with either players on their rookie contracts drafted in the first or second rounds or with JAGs, ST refugees, and other assorted scrubs who come a whole lot cheaper. That pattern has been a constant throughout the Drought, and it looks like it's continuing.

I'm not sure I agree about the lack of depth. Every Team in the NFL lacks depth. There are only 46 players active on game day. How many teams have a quality backup at every position? In fact, I believe this is why McD constantly preaches versatility. I think Oleary was a great backup. The team handled the dareus injury and the Glenn injury admirably. Worthy was out for a month and they still had the #1 D. Milano played OK with Humbar out and the bills only have up 20 without him and EJ. We roll out 7 players on the Dline constantly with solid play almost every down so there must be depth there.

The WR position and the QB position is where there is no depth. In fact with Matthews out there is a solid argument there isn't a bonafide starter amongst both groups. If somehow they fix the WR slot with improvement from current players or a newcomer, they might be able to deal with the QB for a playoff run.

While every NFL team may lack depth, they do not lack depth at virtually every position like the Bills do, especially this year, at least not if they have realistic hopes of making the playoffs. Moreover, the Bills have guys who aren't NFL caliber starters starting, so how good can their backups be?

The Bills QB and TE depth, before Clay's injury, are about par for the NFL, and you are correct that Matthews is the only NFL caliber starting WR on the Bills roster, but have you considered who the Bills have backing up Shady? :sick: Mike Tolbert ... and Joe Banyard? In his 6 years in the NFL, including 2017, Banyard has rushed 23 times for 95 yards. On the OL, they have no good young players to develop to replace 34-year-old Richie Incognito and 30-year-old Eric Wood if either gets hurt or decides to retire. At least they have some young OTs in development behind Cordy Glenn (Dawkins, Mills, and Henderson) unless they decide to jettison Glenn rather than continue to pay him because they think that Dawkins is "good enough"..

It's the same story on the defensive side of the ball. Kyle Williams is 34. Dareus looks to be on his way out ... perhaps even this season. The starting LBs include 2 guys who were backups on other teams. The secondary players are unimpressive individually although they have played decently as a unit, except perhaps against Cincinatti when AJ Green burned them for 189 yards all by himself. The guys backing them up, though, are as lacking in quality as the guys backing up most of the offensive starters.

But, hey, we all know that depth doesn't matter because it's all Tyrod Taylor's fault.

Edited by SoTier

It seems a waste of a good start to this season, but not sure what move they could make at this point. I believe their ultimate goal was to build a solid foundation for future years, which means sacrifices in the short term. They gambled on receiving corps being ok enough with strong defense. Didn't work in Cincinnati. Some weeks it will, others they'll come up a bit short. I hope they come up with something brilliant, but most likely mediocre at best.

I'd like someone who complains about depth to show me a team where there is no drop off between starters and second string.

Of course there's a drop off that's not the argument here ,

the argument( at least that I'm making ) is that our #2/#3WR ( Zay Johnes and A Holmes ) should have been #3/4 at best , are now #1/2 and that's IMO is NOT acceptable , TT is no Brady and needs his recivers to be wide open to even make that throw , shot down McCoy and we're DONE ,,

i think any moves will be possibly a free agent (Barnidge?), or PS promotion, They have several injured players on the active roster which limits their ability to add players. As for Hilton? I think he is signed thru 2020, this year's salary is 8-10 million with a large dead cap figure for the Colts. I don't see the Bills trading for him; they would have to give up several of those precious draft picks and cut plyers to afford him.

i think any moves will be possibly a free agent (Barnidge?), or PS promotion, They have several injured players on the active roster which limits their ability to add players. As for Hilton? I think he is signed thru 2020, this year's salary is 8-10 million with a large dead cap figure for the Colts. I don't see the Bills trading for him; they would have to give up several of those precious draft picks and cut plyers to afford him.

We don't need brand name WR's with 8-10 million in salary

IMO even if we were able to land TY Hilton for a 7th round pick , his salary alone would be a deal breaker ,

I would like to see them focus on Zay Jones over the next month, while waiting for Mathews to get back. If Zay can gain some confidence (the next two games are at home), then they'll be that much better off when Mathews is ready to return. Zay has been open, he's just been dropping the ball. That will NOT continue. Didn't he set the NCAA record for most pass receptions in his career?

I would like to see them focus on Zay Jones over the next month, while waiting for Mathews to get back. If Zay can gain some confidence (the next two games are at home), then they'll be that much better off when Mathews is ready to return. Zay has been open, he's just been dropping the ball. That will NOT continue. Didn't he set the NCAA record for most pass receptions in his career?

In a career and in a season.