Bills vs. Bengals Postgame

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you told me after 5 games, before the season started, we would be 3-2, I would've taken it...we're good......I like the new coaching staff....this is a different Bills team...I feel more and more confident about my prediction that we will make the playoffs in 2018....

Youre a trooper! Sorry, couldnt help it.

Edited by Shamrock

@JoeBuscaglia

Clay was a game changer, White's lessons, and can we blame Tyrod? That and more in my 7 observations from the game:

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-buffalo-bills-cincinnati-bengals-10_8_17-

1) Losing Clay was a game changer

2) Tyrod should not shoulder all the blame

3) What to do with this rushing attack?

4) Defense played well enough for the Bills to win

5) 12 yards

6) White showing signs of brilliance, and signs of novice

7) Injuries at CB loomed largely

Bills MVP: WR Brandon Tate
- He roped in the touchdown in the first half and set the Bills up only 12 yards out from the end zone to take the lead in the fourth quarter.

Bills LVP: CB Greg Mabin
- He was a liability, both in run support and in pass coverage, when he was on the field. The Bengals attacked his side of the field, and if he has to spend more time on defense, I’d expect future opponents to do the same.

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills DT snap percentages vs. Bengals: Kyle Williams - 77% Adolphus Washington - 50% Marcell Dareus - 33% Cedric Thornton - 23%

#Bills WR snap percentages vs Bengals: Zay Jones - 94% Kaelin Clay - 59% Brandon Tate - 49% Andre Holmes - 44%

@PFF

Grades and key stats from the Bengals win over the Bills

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-cincinnati-bengals-20-buffalo-bills-16/

BUF-Bills-Header.png

Top 5 Grades:

ED Jerry Hughes, 90.7 overall grade

LB Matt Milano, 86.5 overall grade

S Micah Hyde, 85.9 overall grade

S Jordan Poyer, 82.1 overall grade

ED Lorenzo Alexander, 81.2 overall grade

Performances of Note: QB Tyrod Taylor, 75.7 overall grade

Pretty pedestrian game for the Bills QB, who attempted just 10 passes that traveled further than 10 yards down the field in the air. Taylor was most efficient when throwing between 0 and 9 yards and between the numbers, as he attempted nine throws to that area of the field and completed eight of them for 69 of his 166 passing yards.

OT Dion Dawkins, 42.4 overall grade

Following a strong Week 4 performance (83.7 overall grade), Dawkins’ third career start was not quite up to that same level. Dawkins allowed three pressures on the afternoon (two sacks and a hit) to go with just a 38.2 run blocking grade, a steep decline from the elite 92.0 run blocking grade he posted against Atlanta.

ED Jerry Hughes, 90.7 overall grade

Hughes was sensational in Week 5, earning high marks as both a pass rusher (84.5 pass rushing grade) and in run defense (95.7 run defense grade). The veteran out of TCU tallied six total pressures on 30 pass rush snaps (four hurries and two hits) and all four of his tackles constituted as stops (a stop is a solo tackle that results in a “loss” to the offense given the situation).

LB Matt Milano, 86.5 overall grade

Making his first ever start after seeing his first NFL action last week, Milano filled in admirably this week for the injured Ramon Humber. Milano had two stops in run defense against the Bengals and his 87.0 run defense grade trailed only Hughes for the team lead this weekend.

PFF Game Ball: Jerry Hughes, edge defender

hughes-game-ball.jpg

*Grades are subject to change upon review

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

McD doesn't know if Cordy Glenn is the starting LT? wtf......

2017 = extended preseason. They are playing hard and fast, but McD is still figuring out what he has. This is what happens when you blow everything up. Training camp isn't much anymore. Not in pads much. I hope he takes his time to find out what he has. Glenn may be like Clay. Bad, unreliable body. We shall see. I want a long term fix for this franchise, not to win a few extra games this year.

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

ESPN: LeSean McCoy angry with himself as defenses keep shutting him down

Off to the worst start of his career statistically, Bills running back LeSean McCoy is facing defenses designed to prevent him from getting going.

Watch: Bills Produce 3 Turnovers vs. Bengals (2:13)

The Bills win the turnover battle 3-1, but fall to the Bengals in Cincinnati.

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor’s 4.49 yards per attempt (166 yards on 37 passes) was the lowest of his 34-game Bills career.

The Bills are averaging 63.2 receiving yards per game on passes targeted to WRs. That would be lowest in NFL since at least 2001 by >10 YPG.

The Bills’ targets per game (10.2) and catches per game (4.8) to WRs would both be the lowest in the NFL since at least 2001.

From one extreme to the other: We go from a blow hard to this fluff. He didn't say one single thing of substance. Nothing. These press conference are a complete waste of time.

Which is different from every other post game press conference how?

CBS Sports Game Grades: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-5-grades-steelers-get-an-f-after-roethlisberger-melts-down-vs-jaguars/

Cincinnati 20-16 over Buffalo
BUF.png Bills: C

If we've learned one thing about the Bills over the past three seasons, it's that they almost never win when they have to rely on Tyrod Taylor to carry the offense. The Bills quarterback threw 37 passes, which is basically a recipe for a loss with Buffalo. In Taylor's career, the Bills are 1-11 all-time when he throws 30 or more passes. Not only was Taylor inaccurate, but he struggled against a Bengals rush that sacked him six times. Of course, you can't completely blame Taylor for his struggles, the Bills' offensive line rarely gave him time to throw in what was easily their worst game of the season.

CIN.png Bengals: B+

Playing the Bengals in Cincinnati during the month of October almost isn't fair to other NFL teams. Since the beginning of the 2013 season, the Bengals are unbeaten in October home games (7-0-2), a total that includes Sunday's win over the Bills. Thanks to A.J. Green, the fans in Cincinnati definitely got their money's worth in this game. Green was a one-man highlight reel, which got a little weird because he was basically providing the highlights for both teams. The Bengals receiver was single-handedly responsible for three of Cincinnati's turnover -- he lost a fumble and both of Andy Dalton's interceptions went off of Green's hands -- but he redeemed himself by putting up huge numbers. Not only did Green catch seven passes for 189 yards and a touchdown, but he also set up the Bengals' other touchdown in the game when he caught a 47-yard pass in the third quarter that took the Bengals down to the Bills' five-yard line. One play later, Joe Mixon would score Cincy's first rushing touchdown of the season.

Don't expect McDermott to air dirty laundry at a postgame presser.

Hoping for a modicum of substance after a brutal loss like this (or a happy win like last week). Some honesty doesn't imply airing dirty laundry. Think there is common ground between the styles of Billichick and Rex. I was hoping for something reassuring. "This broke down. That didn't go as planned. We need to work on X."

Instead, spin and fluff.

Joe B said

Tyrod should not shoulder all the blame

WOW someone is still taking his happy pills

Okay QB play was pretty bad yesterday i get it......so in your world there is nothing wrong with our front offence line scheme? Our running play production? Our OC playcalling? and last but not least our outstanding personal we have at WR?? Sure i want better play out of QB (whether its to upgrade next season if possible) but seriously you putting all the blame on 1 person in the offence? wow....

@JoeBuscaglia

Clay was a game changer, White's lessons, and can we blame Tyrod? That and more in my 7 observations from the game:

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-buffalo-bills-cincinnati-bengals-10_8_17-

1) Losing Clay was a game changer

2) Tyrod should not shoulder all the blame

3) What to do with this rushing attack?

4) Defense played well enough for the Bills to win

5) 12 yards

6) White showing signs of brilliance, and signs of novice

7) Injuries at CB loomed largely

Bills MVP: WR Brandon Tate

- He roped in the touchdown in the first half and set the Bills up only 12 yards out from the end zone to take the lead in the fourth quarter.

Bills LVP: CB Greg Mabin

- He was a liability, both in run support and in pass coverage, when he was on the field. The Bengals attacked his side of the field, and if he has to spend more time on defense, I’d expect future opponents to do the same.

Losing Clay did affect things

Tyrod shouldn't shoulder all the blame, the Offensive Line and not having effective weapons available contributed as well

The run game is going to have to get going if this team has any hopes of making the playoffs

Defense did play well enough to where we should have won if we had a slightly better Offensive performance

White looked good throughout most of the afternoon but he got caught looking in on that bomb to Green

Our starting DB's are really good, but we lack depth and it cost us. We probably win that game with healthy Gaines (this will be addressed next year)

Agree, Tate was our best offensive player (that's how bad it was)

Not sure if Mabin was the worst player out there even though he had a costly 3rd down penalty that netted them points, was beaten a few other times and dropped an INT where he had great position on it in the endzone that could have changed the outcome of the game.

Edited by Magox

Most of the blame (if you have the need to blame) falls on Taylor and offensive play calling. I posted this elsewhere, but in his 35 starts in the last 2+ years, Tyrod has lead the league in the average amount of time from snap to throw in 31 weeks. That is beyond mind numbing. As far as the running game, McCoy needs space to succeed. He's not a bruiser, nor ever has been. When opposing teams put 9 guys in the box and dare you to beat them through the air, McCoy is not going to have very many good games. We've seen that in the last 4 games in spades. You can't "scheme" your way out of it or keep running the ball and going 3 and out. Unlike most, I actually give credit to our offensive line. They are giving Taylor more time to throw the football than they should have to. The offense is pretty terrible as is, and Tyrod still can't "throw a receiver open". Has never had that tool in his bag.

Back to the topic of no receivers to throw to for a moment .....

Typical Taylor 63.3 RAT - 37 passes, 20 complete 1 INT for 166yds. So who caught those 20 passes? Faeries?

The Red Rifle 77.1 RAT - 36 passes, 22 complete 2 INT for 323yds.

What is TT's tally now.... 2-10 when passing for more than 30 times?

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Typical Taylor 63.3 RAT - 37 passes, 20 complete 1 INT for 166yds. So who caught those 20 passes? Faeries?

.....from the D&Cs Maiorana.......even more telling stat...take the lead, stack the box, contain Shady and watch Dennison keep TT in the pocket while opposing D dares him to come from behind....2-17, 2-18, 2-19, etc..........

► Key stat: Taylor is now 2-16 in games where the Bills trail by four points or more at any time in a game. What this says is that the Buffalo quarterback has historically not gotten the job done when the Bills need to rally to win games. This was a shining example.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

.....from the D&Cs Maiorana.......even more telling stat...take the lead, stack the box, contain Shady and watch Dennison keep TT in the pocket while opposing D dares him to come from behind....2-17, 2-18, 2-19, etc..........

► Key stat: Taylor is now 2-16 in games where the Bills trail by four points or more at any time in a game. What this says is that the Buffalo quarterback has historically not gotten the job done when the Bills need to rally to win games. This was a shining example.

Jeezuz, that’s a VERY telling stat.

Most of the blame (if you have the need to blame) falls on Taylor and offensive play calling. I posted this elsewhere, but in his 35 starts in the last 2+ years, Tyrod has lead the league in the average amount of time from snap to throw in 31 weeks. That is beyond mind numbing. As far as the running game, McCoy needs space to succeed. He's not a bruiser, nor ever has been. When opposing teams put 9 guys in the box and dare you to beat them through the air, McCoy is not going to have very many good games. We've seen that in the last 4 games in spades. You can't "scheme" your way out of it or keep running the ball and going 3 and out. Unlike most, I actually give credit to our offensive line. They are giving Taylor more time to throw the football than they should have to. The offense is pretty terrible as is, and Tyrod still can't "throw a receiver open". Has never had that tool in his bag.

Completely agree, I hate to keep beating a dead horse (tyrod). But I think what frustrates me the most is the 3rd and 5, by no means is it automatic in the nfl but the number of over/under throws that are simple crossing patterns are torture to watch as a fan. I think tyrod is a class act and I'm sure he's good In the lockeroom but buffalo needs to go in a different direction Soon. As long as he's qb it's going to be stack the box and take shady out of the equation. The division is vulnerable and ours for the taking, but belichick will take away shady and try to turn it into to an air battle, and that's something as of right now we won't win.

Completely agree, I hate to keep beating a dead horse (tyrod). But I think what frustrates me the most is the 3rd and 5, by no means is it automatic in the nfl but the number of over/under throws that are simple crossing patterns are torture to watch as a fan. I think tyrod is a class act and I'm sure he's good In the lockeroom but buffalo needs to go in a different direction Soon. As long as he's qb it's going to be stack the box and take shady out of the equation. The division is vulnerable and ours for the taking, but belichick will take away shady and try to turn it into to an air battle, and that's something as of right now we won't win.

That's what I'm seeing. Defenses are stopping Shady and Tyrod can't make them pay with his arm. Whether its Tyrod, the receiving options he has, or both, it doesn't matter. The FO basically got rid of most of the talent at WR and went paper thin depth at the other positions. All I know is I'm sick of seeing every team in the league being able to field an NFL roster, but the Bills. The entire league is engineered to allow passing plays yet we have a mickey mouse passing game year in and year out. It's frustrating as hell.

And for everyone excited because we have all those draft picks, you only need to look at Zay Jones to know that pinning your future hopes on all your draft picks being stars as rookies is risky at best.

17 of those completions were to non WR players (ie: running back or tight end)

Only 3 receptions by a receiver

Edited by Castellar

Okay QB play was pretty bad yesterday i get it......so in your world there is nothing wrong with our front offence line scheme? Our running play production? Our OC playcalling? and last but not least our outstanding personal we have at WR?? Sure i want better play out of QB (whether its to upgrade next season if possible) but seriously you putting all the blame on 1 person in the offence? wow....

6 sacks .... We got to him because he held onto the ball .... - Cincinnati player

Who touches the ball on basically ever snap from center?

Who runs around the backfield because he's too tentative to pass the ball?

Who doesn't read the field properly?

Stack the box to stop the run and the Bills O is all but shut down.

17 of those completions were to non WR players (ie: running back or tight end)

Only 3 receptions by a receiver

someone said something similar to this yesterday. My reply

The 2014 season Alex Smith had Zero TD passes to a WR that season. They finished 9-7.

6 sacks .... We got to him because he held onto the ball .... - Cincinnati player

Who touches the ball on basically ever snap from center?

Who runs around the backfield because he's too tentative to pass the ball?

Who doesn't read the field properly?

Stack the box to stop the run and the Bills O is all but shut down.

someone said something similar to this yesterday. My reply

The 2014 season Alex Smith had Zero TD passes to a WR that season. They finished 9-7.

Runs contrary to the Denver and Atlanta games where Tyrod played with well with little to no help from the run game. What's the major difference between those two games and the Bengals' game? No Matthews and Clay.

Runs contrary to the Denver and Atlanta games where Tyrod played with well with little to no help from the run game. What's the major difference between those two games and the Bengals' game? No Matthews and Clay.

He has to be able to over come a loss of a player. period. I don't believe that is being unreasonable.

Next Man up.

Atlanta lost 2 of their starters during the game - good thing for us then.

Siemian regressed to his sloppy self in the 2nd half - good thing for us then.

We can always find excuses can't we.

@ChrisTrapasso

Tyrod Taylor in games with his top two pass-catchers ('15-'16: Watkins/Woods) ('17: Matthews/Clay): 64% completion, 7.04 YPA, 32 TD, 7 INT

This from earlier aligns with thought (or fact?) that vast majority of NFL QBs are pretty reliant on (quality of) their top pass-catchers

^^

He has to be able to over come a loss of a player. period. I don't believe that is being unreasonable.

Next Man up.

Atlanta lost 2 of their starters during the game - good thing for us then.

Siemian regressed to his sloppy self in the 2nd half - good thing for us then.

We can always find excuses can't we.

It's unreasonable for all NFL QBs except for Brady and Rodgers. How good Did Matt Ryan look without Jones and Sanu? Rather pedestrian as I recall.

His 2nd half stats were 11/21 84 Yards (4 YPA), 1 TD, 2 INT

That is the sad thing regarding bills fandom

Its ok for other teams qbs to lose players they count on and suck....but it is not acceptable for the bills do do so. Tyrod Taylor is supposed to overcome all that or he is not even an average qb....forget actually being a decent qb....he is not even an average qb if he does not overcome things that other teams qbs cannot overcome/.

That is the sad thing regarding bills fandom

Its ok for other teams qbs to lose players they count on and suck....but it is not acceptable for the bills do do so. Tyrod Taylor is supposed to overcome all that or he is not even an average qb....forget actually being a decent qb....he is not even an average qb if he does not overcome things that other teams qbs cannot overcome/.

Those stats translate to a Passer Rating of 38.6, for what it's worth.

^^

It's unreasonable for all NFL QBs except for Brady and Rodgers. How good Did Matt Ryan look without Jones and Sanu? Rather pedestrian as I recall.

How did they look before the injuries?

Somewhat pedestrian as I recall.

Those stats translate to a Passer Rating of 38.6, for what it's worth.

Is that good?

;);););)