USA Today article on Beef on Weck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schwabl's is my go-to every time in town.

Don't sleep on Connor's as well.

I remember the day my mother first took me to Schwabl's about 40 years ago. That's saying something! It's got to make it on the list when I get back to WNY next season. The problem is there are always too many "must have meals", and too few days.

Anyone remember Bailo's at Bailey & Lovejoy? That was my first beef on weck. The horseradish was so strong it made you cry just opening the jar. Don't bother looking for them. They're long gone.

If you click on the slideshow for best sandwiches in each state, check out the Philly Pork & Greens from DiNic's at the Reading Terminal Market. So good and not unhealthy.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Schwabl's was my go to. I think chuck the butch is overrated. Kind of the anchor bar of wings. There are dozens of little taverns that are better than Charlie me thinks.

I agree Charlie is slightly overrated, but still damn good. Back when I lived there, you couldn't even get a beer. That sort of destroys it for me. But their beef is typically pretty good, in my experience.

Schwabl's was always one of my favorites, but I have heard they've gone way downhill, in the past year, or so. I can't say personally, but that's what I hear.

Bailo's was very popular, and OK if you liked the "well done, heavy gravy" type of BoW. Not my favorite style, but they did a good job with it.

Anacone's (also on Bailey) was always among my favorites, as they hand carved it, right at the bar (like the old Creekside, and Creekview restaurants). It always benefited from being served all day (opening til closing, I think), cheap drinks, and a great jukebox. RIP Anacone's.

I don't remember Anchor bar having even a decent BoW. But it's been ages since I've been there, so maybe they've improved.

I'm extremely disappointed in myself, as I have never been to Bar Bill. I keep hearing how great their wings, and beef, are. Next time in the Bufftown area, I'll have to make a point of going there.

I'm a little surprised old standbys like McPartland's weren't mentioned. Not my favorite BoW, but a great place.

Mister Dee's may not have the best Bow, or the best Wings (or fish fry), but I think they might be top-5/10 for all of those classic Buffalo dishes. Plus they are a great airport stop (arrivals and departures). A mini BoW and 6 wings, is a killer combo for a guy who has been out of the area for a year. Throw Mr. Bill's in there, for a great airport stop.

Eckl's still around? They used to have a formidable BoW, from what I remember.

Finally, for now, the Glenn Park Tavern, in Williamsville, had a fabulous BoW, the past couple times I was there.

PS. And WTF is that monstrosity at The Ward? It looks like puke in a bowl.

I agree Charlie is slightly overrated, but still damn good. Back when I lived there, you couldn't even get a beer. That sort of destroys it for me. But their beef is typically pretty good, in my experience.

Schwabl's was always one of my favorites, but I have heard they've gone way downhill, in the past year, or so. I can't say personally, but that's what I hear.

Bailo's was very popular, and OK if you liked the "well done, heavy gravy" type of BoW. Not my favorite style, but they did a good job with it.

Anacone's (also on Bailey) was always among my favorites, as they hand carved it, right at the bar (like the old Creekside, and Creekview restaurants). It always benefited from being served all day (opening til closing, I think), cheap drinks, and a great jukebox. RIP Anacone's.

I don't remember Anchor bar having even a decent BoW. But it's been ages since I've been there, so maybe they've improved.

I'm extremely disappointed in myself, as I have never been to Bar Bill. I keep hearing how great their wings, and beef, are. Next time in the Bufftown area, I'll have to make a point of going there.

I'm a little surprised old standbys like McPartland's weren't mentioned. Not my favorite BoW, but a great place.

Mister Dee's may not have the best Bow, or the best Wings (or fish fry), but I think they might be top-5/10 for all of those classic Buffalo dishes. Plus they are a great airport stop (arrivals and departures). A mini BoW and 6 wings, is a killer combo for a guy who has been out of the area for a year. Throw Mr. Bill's in there, for a great airport stop.

Eckl's still around? They used to have a formidable BoW, from what I remember.

Finally, for now, the Glenn Park Tavern, in Williamsville, had a fabulous BoW, the past couple times I was there.

PS. And WTF is that monstrosity at The Ward? It looks like puke in a bowl.

A shout out for Anacone's. That was a good bar.

In my humble opinion, this is 100% false. I say it because I've been going to Schwabl's consistently, about 3 times a year, since 2009. Including this past July. It's identical to every other time I've ever been there.

The weck roll at Seabar is AMAZING. Also get the Asian cucumber salad with it.