NFL.com: Gregg Rosenthal's QB Index

2 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

You ask Von Miller who and his team would rather face... Tyrod or Brady? Tyrod or Roethlisberger? Tyrod or Rodgers? Tyrod or Brees? 

I dont even even know why I waste my time.... I want the Bills to have a QB that can lead this team to the playoffs year in and year out. Not rely on Andy Dalton.

I hate that everyone thinks he’s so great cause he can run! But what if he didn’t need to run? Make an audible, change the play, actually throw to open recievers, make proper reads....

Great he can run around, he can also get caught and force a 2nd & 25 

Duh!

The thing that really gets me about Tyrod is that, at times, he looks great. The 1st quarter of the Dolphins game he was on fire, on pace for a 300 yard game and then...
His biggest flaw is that he is unwilling to step up into the pocket or slide in the pocket. When things get hairy, he turns his back to his receivers and circles out of the pocket rather than stepping up or sliding over. Not only does that hurt him in the pass game but also his ability to run for big gains. If he steps up and he has man coverage and a running lane, that's a 10 - 20 yard rushing play rather than running backwards 10 yards before getting sacked or gaining 5-6 yards on a 10-20 yard run. Most teams play contain against him to keep the edges sealed and if he could just somehow convince himself to step up as that edge rush goes by... 

12. TYROD TAYLORBUFFALO BILLS – 84.1 OVERALL GRADE
Slide42-768x432.jpg

Excerpt from the PFF QB Annual: Taylor finished 2017 among the league’s most accurate passers under pressure. His 53.5 completion percentage was fifth among starters and his 79.4 passer rating was seventh, but the one area he struggled through in 2017, was taking sacks. Taylor converted pressure to sacks 23.3 percent of the time – the highest rate in the NFL.

I believe it was 1 offensive touchdown in the 4th quarter of the last 8 games. When crunch time comes, Taylor was nowhere to be found. But you know twitter stats and stuff say he is equivalent to Drew Brees so obviously we don't need better. 

Edited by CountDorkula

4 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I believe it was 1 offensive touchdown in the 4th quarter of the last 8 games. When crunch time comes, Taylor was nowhere to be found. But you know twitter stats and stuff say he is equivalent to Drew Brees so obviously we don't need better. 

They say the opposite actually, lol. 

And I credit the 3rd down success to quality play design.

Tyrod is a hard QB to quantify. He makes plays with his legs but makes the fewest plays with his arm. He avoids pressure, except when he gets sacked.  he throws few ints but he also ends drives with too many behind the sticks throws.  He looks alright with QBR or other metrics but he led an offense that couldn't score against any quality opponents.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Hotrod only played in 7 of those games and another one he was knocked out the game before the 4th started. Hotrod EVEN  gets credit for other guy's screw ups! :lol:  I wonder if Rico played a role in this?

Against Chargers, in the 4th quarter he threw for one TD and ran for another. http://www.buffalobills.com/schedules/game/2017/regular11

In the first 8 games he did it twice (almost).  We were down 7 vs the Bucs half way through the 4th, and the offense got 10 more points and the win.  Against the Panthers he hit Drop Zone in the hands on the goal line down 6 with less than :30 to play.  Since we now know Drop Zone can't catch a cold, I count that as a comeback with an asterisk.  It IS a team game after all. Everyone has to do their part.

Edited by reddogblitz

On 1/4/2018 at 3:20 PM, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

You ask Von Miller who he and his team would rather face... Tyrod or Brady? Tyrod or Roethlisberger? Tyrod or Rodgers? Tyrod or Brees? 

I dont even even know why I waste my time.... I want the Bills to have a QB that can lead this team to the playoffs year in and year out. Not rely on Andy Dalton.

I hate that everyone thinks he’s so great cause he can run! But what if he didn’t need to run? Make an audible, change the play, actually throw to open recievers, make proper reads....

Great he can run around, he can also get caught and force a 2nd & 25 

Is one of those guys available?

Lets get him!

Bleacher Reports's 2017 QB Rankings: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751014-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-quarterbacks-from-2017-season

22. Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills

Accuracy: 16/25
Arm: 17/25
Under Pressure: 15/20
Decision-Making: 15/20
Position Value: 10/10
Overall Grade: 73/100

Russell Wilson's playing style drew criticism, and the same held true for Buffalo's quarterback to start the season. Tyrod Taylor was often effective at times in new offensive coordinator Rick Dennison's West Coast-based passing scheme, but the team still turned to Nathan Peterman midway through the year even as it was in playoff contention. The rookie struggled, forcing the team to go back to Taylor. Yes, he can be slow at times with his reads and often fails to anticipate routes, but his progression as a quarterback and his continued ability outside of the pocket is dangerous. In the right system, and with an organization that believes in him, Taylor can be a solid starter in this league. Matter of fact, he already is. And with him as the starter, the Bills have their first playoff berth since 1999.

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bleacher Reports's 2017 QB Rankings: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751014-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-quarterbacks-from-2017-season

Russell Wilson's playing style drew criticism, and the same held true for Buffalo's quarterback to start the season. Tyrod Taylor was often effective at times in new offensive coordinator Rick Dennison's West Coast-based passing scheme, but the team still turned to Nathan Peterman midway through the year even as it was in playoff contention. The rookie struggled, forcing the team to go back to Taylor. Yes, he can be slow at times with his reads and often fails to anticipate routes, but his progression as a quarterback and his continued ability outside of the pocket is dangerous. In the right system, and with an organization that believes in him, Taylor can be a solid starter in this league. Matter of fact, he already is. And with him as the starter, the Bills have their first playoff berth since 1999.

Oyy - that is RIDICULOUS.  I am not the biggest Wilson fan, but he is twice the passer that Taylor is (at least).

21 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Well, if Bleecher Report said so, it must be true.  I have been a big Tyrod fan, even recognizing his limitations, but I am done. What he does well is simply not worth what he is, and always will be, bad at.  Time to move on.  

On 12/28/2017 at 2:48 PM, reddogblitz said:

We'll see.  I hope he's wrong.

I want to do what Seattle did.  They brought back the previous years starter, Tarvaris Jackson who played OK the 2 years before but not great.  They signed Matt Flynn.  They drafted Russell  Wilson.  They went with the best of the three.

Or the Vikings.  They had Teddy.  He got hurt they traded for Bradford.  Then they signed Case.  Any of their 3 QBs could start on most teams including ours.

Why do we want to put all our QB eggs in one basket?

This.   Nothing changes culture like winning.  The team knows, or ought to know, that capable or better QB play is critical to winning.

So go all in.

55 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Oyy - that is RIDICULOUS.  I am not the biggest Wilson fan, but he is twice the passer that Taylor is (at least).

Just for shucks and giggles, take a look at Russ Wilson's game logs his first 2 years as an NFL starter.

I'll wait.

Can you explain to me what you base the "twice the passer" thing on? 

Disclaimer: I suppose it must be spelled out that I'm not trying to make an argument pro-Taylor, just trying to understand what you see as 2x passing skills.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.   Nothing changes culture like winning.  The team knows, or ought to know, that capable or better QB play is critical to winning.

So go all in.

Just for shucks and giggles, take a look at Russ Wilson's game logs his first 2 years as an NFL starter.

I'll wait.

Can you explain to me what you base the "twice the passer" thing on?

Well he threw 72td-26int vs Tyrod 51td-16int (tyrod didn't even have 1td per game this season)

Wilson also threw for about 330+ more yards a season (or a little over 1000 more over the first three)

Wilson's numbers improved each of his first three Tyrod's have regressed each year

Wilson had 10 fourth qt comebacks with 15 total game winning drives over first three seasons

Tyrod has a total of 3 fourth qt comebacks and 5 game winning drives over his three seasons starting

Wilson also was thrown in as a rookie, tyrod had 4 seasons as a backup to learn

Comparing their seasons after 6 years in the league (Wilson) vs Tyrod (8 years, 3 starting 5 backup) is even more of a disparity

Tyrod threw 14td to 4 int and had 2800 yards

Wilson had 34td to 11 int, and had 4000 yards. His 34 td led the NFL (Wentz obviously would have if he didn't get hurt)

Their first 3 years as starters, Wilson was flat out better when it mattered, aka touchdowns and 4th quarter play.

Tyrod has regressed every year, while Wilson has improved.

The two aren't even in the same league.

• Like (+1) 1