Matt Ryan: "Bills Mafia is real"

Big Turk

One thing that seems uniquely Buffalo in my experience is buying strangers drinks when you just met them at a bar. No one seems to do that outside of Buffalo. Doing it to hit on a girl doesn't count. I do it all the time and people look at me like I'm nuts. Which of course I am.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo's got a great atmosphere. Some people did have their jobs move out of state--largely due to NYS taxes. Those folks are the "transplants." I'm a transplant (got transplanted when I was 12 due to Dad's job). A bills fan growing up and living in Steelers land!

I'm expecting to see it. Was going to go w/ a friend of mine, but the Wife is away so I have the kids.

Well taxes pay for roads, schools, infrastructure, etc. So companies took their jobs where they wouldn't have to contribute to the public good.

The irony is that it doesn't stop with New York taxes. Companies get to North Carolina or Tennessee and decide their taxes are too much. So they bolt to Mexico or Bangladesh. Always out for the biggest return. Then they blame people on food stamps.

Compared to what?

Limited job opportunity in WNY is not a myth friend.

How many jobs do you need? I only need 1. Why would you need so many jobs per square mile? If you can't get a job here then that's too bad, sounds possibly like a personal issue. Not to mention you can live like a king here on a 6 figure income where in other cities you are just barely scraping by. I do very well here as do friends and family. The people that I know that have moved did so after college and it wasnt for job opportunities, it was more about seeing the world and finding their own happiness. Others have moved later in life for weather. And that's fine, good for them. I like it here. Maybe I'm naive to it or I've been lucky but I've literally never heard someone say I can't find a job here I'm going to have to move. Edited by kdiggz

How many jobs do you need? I only need 1. Why would you need so many jobs per square mile? If you can't get a job here then that's too bad, sounds possibly like a personal issue. Not to mention you can live like a king here on a 6 figure income where in other cities you are just barely scraping by. I do very well here as do friends and family. The people that I know that have moved did so after college and it wasnt for job opportunities, it was more about seeing the world and finding their own happiness. Others have moved later in life for weather. And that's fine, good for them. I like it here. Maybe I'm naive to it or I've been lucky but I've literally never heard someone say I can't find a job here I'm going to have to move.

Yeah, you probably haven't heard that recently because there haven't been any major industry closures recently (that come to mind). However, 20 + years ago, there absolutely were lots of people leaving the Buffalo and WNY area because they couldn't find decent work.

In order to lose industry, you have to have it first. And there isn't a lot of industry (at least not big industry) left around here.

Here is the sad truth about WNY. Look at the top employers in the area.

# Employer # of Employees 1 State of New York 15,123 2 Federal Executive Board (United States of America) 11,183 3 Kaleida Health 10,000 4 University at Buffalo 6,733 5 Catholic Health System 6,628 6 Employer Services Corp 6,363 7 M&T Bank 5,140 8 Tops Markets 5,058 9 Buffalo City School District 4,949 10 Erie County 4,203

40% of the people on that list work for the government.

In other words, the biggest and most dominant industry in Buffalo is government by far and it is not even close. = SAD :thumbdown:

And that doesn't even include Buffalo City Schools (funded by government) or UB (large government funding also).

WNY is a Mecca for government workers. And if it wasn't for that government money in Buffalo right now, this area would be nearly destitute. You'd be a farmer or you would starve.

Compare that to a city like Charlotte NC for example:

# Employer # of Employees 1 Carolinas Healthcare System 35,000 2 Wells Fargo 22,000 3 Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools 18,143 4 Walmart 16,100 5 Bank of America 15,000 6 Lowe's 12,960 7 Novant Health 11,000 8 American Airlines 10,600 9 Harris Teeter 8,239 10 Duke Energy 7,800

All private sector except for the schools.

When you compare Buffalo to other cities, economically, Buffalo is a complete joke. That is also why there are thousands of vacant homes and part of the reason for nationally low housing prices.

How many jobs do you need? I only need 1. Why would you need so many jobs per square mile? If you can't get a job here then that's too bad, sounds possibly like a personal issue. Not to mention you can live like a king here on a 6 figure income where in other cities you are just barely scraping by. I do very well here as do friends and family. The people that I know that have moved did so after college and it wasnt for job opportunities, it was more about seeing the world and finding their own happiness. Others have moved later in life for weather. And that's fine, good for them. I like it here. Maybe I'm naive to it or I've been lucky but I've literally never heard someone say I can't find a job here I'm going to have to move.

All my friends that have moved over the years moved because they wanted a warmer climate. All of them had good jobs here. That is one of the biggest myth's that there are no jobs here & from a standpoint that a lot of IT companies & larger companies now want their employees working remote, you could literally have a job anywhere in this country & still live in WNY.

Actually started before them IIRC. Was after the SJ13 drop and the social medai firestorm of his "God" tweet , that is when Del and a few other fans started using the moniker.

Not so sure about that.

Bills mafia has always been positive and undying loyalty to Bills players from loyal (blind) fans looking to support and rise up the players not berate and push them down with standard fan negativity. It has since been hijacked by the media erroneously to describe all the poor behavior of the thankfully shrinking numbers of "stupid" Bills fans at tailgates at New Era, and now also to describe the road following they get like in ATL Sunday.

That SJ God thing was all negative towards SJ.

Edited by cba fan

Not so sure about that.

Bills mafia has always been positive and undying loyalty to Bills players from loyal (blind) fans looking to support and rise up the players not berate and push them down with standard fan negativity.

That SJ God thing was all negative towards SJ.

Sorry if I was not better at articulating my post. They started Bills Mafia to defend SJ against all the negative backlash from the SJ God tweet absolutely. And as EBall mentioned, also had something to do do with a Shefter tweet. Need to look this up now!

EDIT

Looks like all of us between Nick Barnett, SJ13 tweet, and Shefter tweet were all correct, we just had to piece it all together!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alyssa-jung/meet-the-billsmafia_b_1917921.html

Edited by plenzmd1

Compared to what?

Limited job opportunity in WNY is not a myth friend.

You are probably preaching to the wrong crowd. It's tough to convince WNY lifers that there is life outside of WNY or that it might be radically different/better in differing ways.

There is more high paying job opportunity in a 3 mile stretch of the Dulles Corridor (30 miles long) than there likely is in all of Erie County. And that's just heading in 1 direction out of Washington, DC, to speak nothing of the I-270 Biotech corridor, all of Arlington/Alexandria, the District itself, on and on and on and on.

I mention DC only b/c I lived there for 13 years and know it well. And DC is what? the 16th largest market in the USA?

Everyone of my friends that live in WNY have a well paying 6 figure salary. Now some might scoff at a a 6 figure salary around the country but here it gives you a pretty good life. It gets you a nice lifestyle in WNY.

More elbow room for me!

I could leave and easily increase my salary by about 40%, I work in healthcare.

I tried a couple moves when I was in my early 20s, and came back every time. Made me appreciate WNY that much more.

To each their own, if you gotta go you gotta go. I chose to adapt and stay.

If I moved back to WNY I'd pay lower taxes, housing would be cheaper, and people would be nicer. It's definitely on my radar.

You would pay lower taxes? On housing? in a way yes.

In Buffalo, you would be living in a larger house paying less RE taxes because the house would be valued less than larger houses in other transplant areas Buffalonians move to. Problem with this is when it is time to sell that Buffalo house and move and or sell and live retired off that windfall and move south for the golden years, your nest egg will not travel so well into more expensive property areas. You may need to live in a trailer city or just have to stay in Buffalo.

Income taxes likely higher in Buffalo if you move from FL ot TX or other states with NO state income tax.

Edited by cba fan

You would pay lower taxes? On housing? in a way yes.

In Buffalo, you would be living in a larger house paying less RE taxes because the house would be valued less than larger houses in other transplant areas Buffalonians move to. Problem with this is when it is time to sell that Buffalo house and move and or sell and live retired off that windfall and move south for the golden years, your nest egg will not travel so well into more expensive property areas. You may need to live in a trailer city or just have to stay in Buffalo.

Income taxes likely higher in Buffalo if you move from FL ot TX or other states with NO state income tax.

RE taxes are through the roof in WNY, hopefully the growth and expanded tax base starts to alleviate some of that pressure and rates can start to normalize in the next several years.

In terms of retirement, why in Gods green earth anybody would want to leave their friends, family, and lifestyle to move south is beyond me. I would be back in Buffalo in a heartbeat if not for my wife's job, and am actively lobbying her for us to buy property in Buffalo now with an eye on us having a house there in our retirement. Yes, i want to have a place in Buffalo for my retirement!

what is it a 3 to 5 hour drive? Why not.

Travel much? It takea 3 hours to get to Cleveland and thats at the top of the state, Cincinnati is on the Kentucky border

More like 6.5 or 7...i lived there for a year and a half...

Edited by matter2003

Travel much? It takea 3 hours to get to Cleveland and thats at the top of the state, Cincinnati is on the Kentucky border

actually yes, but I don't travel from Buffalo to Cincinnati Ohio. My apologies for posting the trip time to Cleveland Ohio,

I can tell you Rochester to Leesburg Virginia is 6.5 hours

I can tell you Leesburg to Virginia Beach Virginia, 4.5 hours (w/ light traffic)

I can tell you Leesburg to Raleigh NC, 5.5 hours (w/ light traffic)

I can tell you Leesburg to WPB Florida, 17 hours (w/ light traffic and a nap)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

One thing that seems uniquely Buffalo in my experience is buying strangers drinks when you just met them at a bar. No one seems to do that outside of Buffalo. Doing it to hit on a girl doesn't count. I do it all the time and people look at me like I'm nuts. Which of course I am.

I don't know about that man. I lived in the Boca-Deerfield area of Florida for 11 years before moving back and the bars there most always had friendly people buying strangers drinks and having BS conversations with each other.

If I moved back to WNY I'd pay lower taxes, housing would be cheaper, and people would be nicer. It's definitely on my radar.

Lower taxes? Just out of curiosity, where do you live, Connecticut, Mass, California?

Well taxes pay for roads, schools, infrastructure, etc. So companies took their jobs where they wouldn't have to contribute to the public good.

The irony is that it doesn't stop with New York taxes. Companies get to North Carolina or Tennessee and decide their taxes are too much. So they bolt to Mexico or Bangladesh. Always out for the biggest return. Then they blame people on food stamps.

So the demise of WNY is because of companies and their greed, is that it?

Do you think companies exist for the "public good" or they exist to make money.

The public good huh. Taxes also line the pocket of corrupt politicians, give out overpriced contracts to their friends and contributors.

Taxes was one of the main reasons I moved to Texas, anyone that can work can get a job down here.

You're not a real traveler until you've driven to the 3 biggest cities in Ohio. You should check out Toledo while its still a bit of a secret. The three Cs (Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati) are overrun with tourists at this point. They may as well be Disney Land.

You're not a real traveler until you've driven to the 3 biggest cities in Ohio. You should check out Toledo while its still a bit of a secret. The three Cs (Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati) are overrun with tourists at this point. They may as well be Disney Land.

What about Dayton, they don't call it the Gem City for nothing