RIP Tom Petty (confirmed)

YoloinOhio

so you just thought you would pollute the thread with you're opinion on his music?

but hey even the great and famed tbd member DC Tom can be, yes, I will manually post it, an idiot.

not bitter, quite the contrary. just my observation.

great songwriter, lost another legend

r.i.p. tom.

I remember the first time I heard "Don't come around here no more"... It's sticks in my head for WEEKS sometimes :lol::thumbsup:.

Ugh! -Its taken me DAYS to get my head around this one... I'm a huge Tom Petty fan... So many great songs... He'll be missed for sure.

If you can't find another nutless no-talent whiny nasal stoner to follow, then I'm sure you'll find solace in the fact that Tom Petty's cloying abuse of I-IV-V chord progressions will pollute the airwaves for years to come.

If you can't find another nutless no-talent whiny nasal stoner to follow, then I'm sure you'll find solace in the fact that Tom Petty's cloying abuse of I-IV-V chord progressions will pollute the airwaves for years to come.

Oh, I get it.....this is a rip Tom Petty thread, not a Rest In Peace thread.

All of DC Tom's comments, in all threads, are "rip" threads.

It's how he deals with his enormously low sense of self esteem.

His father must have told him he was worthless and will never amount to anything, every day at the breakfast table, particularly during his formative years.

I have a sort of not ripping on Tom Petty story if you like...

My oldest sis married one of the formulative heroes of early FM radio. He was program director/DJ of several of the biggest radio stations in the country and was brought in to help MTV during its early days.

As it worked out, he, from what I understand, gave Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers their first radio launch. He's since passed away, but he and Petty became friends. TP would send him all the silver/gold/platinum record plaques as they got them. I've seen them... pretty cool haha.

So here's the funny and sweet part with my sis. When she was dating Thom, her soon to be husband, they went to a Tom Petty after-party, and when her Thom introduced her to Petty for the first time TP said, 'I just want to say this... before I get drunk, and it doesn't mean anything, that you are a VERY beautiful woman'.

She was, no doubt,

and she tells the story with a very sweet aknowledgement of who Tom Petty is and was. It was the 'before I get drunk...' part that really makes the story haha. I never got to meet him personally, but my gut, and my sis, says he was a very genuine individual, who happened to have a very deep talent for expressing feelings that maybe we don't even recognize, but really do exist.

The world is a better place for having had Tom Petty in it.

They replayed yesterday on NBC (what I think was) the first SNL that he was on. He sang Refugee and Don't Do Me Like That, which are OK songs. What struck me though was how weak he was fronting the band, no charisma at all.

They replayed yesterday on NBC (what I think was) the first SNL that he was on. He sang Refugee and Don't Do Me Like That, which are OK songs. What struck me though was how weak he was fronting the band, no charisma at all.

TP was never much into being a front man. The Heartbreakers were a band in the truest sense of the word. It's also why he had such a good time in the Traveling Wilburys.

He wasn't the best singer. Mike Campbell was a much better guitarist. But the whole was greater than the sum of the parts...

A bit behind Steve Miller for non-charisma, Steve claims he walks around tailgating with fans before his shows and nobody has a clue who he is.

toms last song. you can see he looks pretty drained. I read where he had to be helped up the ramp to the stage as he struggled just to walk. they said that once on stage he did his best to keep from showing his physical struggles as you can see when he goes limping off stage...5 days later he was gone.

rest easy tom, thanks for all the great music.

toms last song. you can see he looks pretty drained.

Yes, he does look very bad. I saw him multiple times over the years and that just did not look right. He actually looks much worse in the song right before American Girl (Benmont Tench gives him a very concerned look at one point and folds his hands together):

https://youtu.be/4WNHB8vROg4

Tough, tough image to think about....

Edited by Lurker

toms last song. you can see he looks pretty drained. I read where he had to be helped up the ramp to the stage as he struggled just to walk. they said that once on stage he did his best to keep from showing his physical struggles as you can see when he goes limping off stage...5 days later he was gone.

rest easy tom, thanks for all the great music.

Jesus Christ... Can we block this from DC Tom! He sees this, Holy Moly! 😉

Yes, he does look very bad. I saw him multiple times over the years and that just did not look right. He actually looks much worse in the song right before American Girl (Benmont Tench gives him a very concerned look at one point and folds his hands together):

https://youtu.be/4WNHB8vROg4

Tough, tough image to think about....

Not sure if he was supposedly clean, or not, but he looks hammered in this video; not sick.