Ejections and suspensions

Dragonborn10

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's in large part why I'd rather not have refs make the call on the field. Even a review from league office before ejecting would make me more comfortable. There's lines between accidental, intentional and just reckless. The latter two deserve harsh punishment

Every player on the field last night immediately knew that was a horrible cheap shot. Why didn't the zebras?

ouch. Hard to watch.

Guy needs to sit down a couple games.

My take? You hit a guy like that, and you have to sit out every game until the player you hit can come back and play.

You make a hit like that and take a guy out for the season? You sit out the season too. Unpaid.

Crap will stop real quick.

Good idea! :thumbsup:

If the league doesn't suspend Trevathan for multiple games, they will have zero credibility on the concussion issue. That was a completely unnecessary hit given that he was on his way down anyway.

I wouldn't worry about that; he'll get at least four games.

Every player on the field last night immediately knew that was a horrible cheap shot. Why didn't the zebras?

I literally saw the zoomed in slo mo twitter replay and that's it. I'm talking about how you would write the rule.

If you want refs that you don't think can get these calls right to be arbitrarily ejecting people, that's your prerogative.

After listening to his after the game comments about the hit, I don't see him being suspended. Maybe a fine, but even then I'm not so sure. I can see where he was trying to make a play, and he does sound genuinely concerned for Adams. Based solely on the short clip that I saw, I can't say for certain it was intentional that he lead with his helmet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000853247/article/davante-adams-hospitalized-after-hit-by-trevathan

After listening to his after the game comments about the hit, I don't see him being suspended. Maybe a fine, but even then I'm not so sure. I can see where he was trying to make a play, and he does sound genuinely concerned for Adams. Based solely on the short clip that I saw, I can't say for certain it was intentional that he lead with his helmet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000853247/article/davante-adams-hospitalized-after-hit-by-trevathan

Crocodile tears. Trevathan has a rep as a dirty player. The intent issue is a red herring anyway -- all we have is the actual evidence, and it's overwhelmingly negative for Trevathan.

I literally saw the zoomed in slo mo twitter replay and that's it. I'm talking about how you would write the rule.

If you want refs that you don't think can get these calls right to be arbitrarily ejecting people, that's your prerogative.

Video reviews are not the answer to everything, but that's what NCAA does after a targeting call. It isn't perfect, but, in this case a review could not miss the hit w the crown of the helmet.

See what you hit.

I have no issue with video replays of dirty hits, like in CFB, but as the rule stands now, refs are supposed to toss guys for hits like the one on Adams and they egregiously blew it, on national TV.

Wasn't watching the game, just saw the horrifying slo-mo of it on Twitter. Holy sh**, how was that not a penalty?

Somebody with better link-fu than me can probably embed the tweet: https://twitter.com/nickveronica/status/913606481924231168

Edit: Not to belabor the awfulness of that video clip, but if you watch close, it looks like a tooth goes flying along with the mouth guard.

That was a tooth fffffff

I don't think it's that awful. Those hits happen a lot.

Idiot should have kept his head up.

The runner's helmet actually flexes out in that Twitter hit - not sure we see hits like that "a lot". Even on Twitter during the game last national sports writers were typing things like "Oh my god" or "That was a vicious, brutal hit"...

It was a penalty. But as the media has pointed out, 15 yards is what Von Miller got for pulling his hand back from Tyrod Taylor.

Odd aside to that point; both this penalty and the Miller penalty essentially put the game away for their teams. That stop held GB to a FG late in the third. Instead they got half the distance, went up by 21, and the Packers never looked back.

Talk is cheap, and should never get players out of punishment. "But I didn't mean it" didn't work when we were 5 years old, and it shouldn't work now. Same schtick from Landry last year after ending AW's season. Do the crime, do the time.

I love the previously suggested "out until the guy you hurt is back" idea. That would actually solve the problem.