Justin Timberlake to be Super Bowl half time performer?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say "typically unimaginative of the NFL", if it weren't for the the fact that the NFL requires SB halftime performers to "pay-to-play". Last I heard, performers were required to pay between $250K- $300K for the privilege of gracing the field at half time. Hell, it's a good marketing investment. But this is the reason we see used-to-be-kind-of-OK retread performers (with enough capital to pony up) as opposed to something we haven't seen before.

But alas, if, as CNN reports, most Americans don't understand what the NFL athletes are protesting (social injustice and an idiot president - not disrespect of our fine military men and women), then how in Lord's name could they be expected to tell the difference between good music and the tripe served up by our inimitable millennial pop-culture.

Fortunately, the extended SB halftime will allow me the chance to deep fry another 20 wings and avoid halftime altogether.

• 4 weeks later...

"Bring it all down to Footballville!!"

These skits always make me laugh. Weirdly they were hard to find on youtube.

I have a soft spot for Timberlake. When my daughter was an infant his music would always calm her down. I have a video of her screaming inconsolably and my wife turns it on. She is silent and smiling in less than 30 seconds. He will always be okay in my book for that reason :lol:

These skits always make me laugh. Weirdly they were hard to find on youtube.

I have a soft spot for Timberlake. When my daughter was an infant his music would always calm her down. I have a video of her screaming inconsolably and my wife turns it on. She is silent and smiling in less than 30 seconds. He will always be okay in my book for that reason :lol:

Fewer things are more soothing to a baby girl than her daddy's voice. :w00t:

Maybe a tribute to Prince?

Prince was the most unexpected, spontaneous, and superb Halftime performance I've ever seen (better than MJ's). Normally the performers play condensed versions of their greatest hits. Prince did some great cover songs of Queen, Hendrix and the Foo Fighters, guitar solo's (which are rare in SB halftime shows), and concluded with Purple Rain in a downpour. Sadly, it was the best part of the Superbowl that year.

Edited by Doc Brown

Prince was the most unexpected, spontaneous, and superb Halftime performance I've ever seen (better than MJ's). Normally the performers play condensed versions of their greatest hits. Prince did some great cover songs of Queen, Hendrix and the Foo Fighters, guitar solo's (which are rare in SB halftime shows), and concluded with Purple Rain in a downpour. Sadly, it was the best part of the Superbowl that year.

Nothing .... EVER ... will even come close to Prince's halftime show.

There's not even a close second, nor will the ever be.

But if anyone's gonna get remotely close .. it could be JT.

In an 11-day span, same venue (Times Union Center, Albany, NY), I saw Paul McCartney, then Justin Timberlake. From the best entertainer ever to the man who could easily be 2nd best when it's all said and done.

McCartneys washed. His voice is shot, unfortunately.

But that doesnt necessarily stop a good show, my mom saw him last tour and had a blast.

His voice certainly wasn't shot three years ago. He even rocked Helter Skelter (which happens to be upon us; but that's a different story).

The live experience can cover things, plus Id wager its all tuned down a few octaves. But like I said, doesnt stop a good show.

A few years back he was on SNL with not too much to cover the vox. Yikes.

Its only natural though, plus add on the r-n-r lifestyle for decades, his throat is feeling it.

Certain posters seem awfully touchy when it comes to JT.

Secret man crush, perhaps?

Its OK, you can tell us, we are in the trust tree.

I think he is as cheesy of a performer as there is. The Garth Brooks of pop music, the Lady Gaga of pop music.

Absolutely nothing, some people just struggle with coming to the realization.

And thats ok too. Trust tree.

then what is it that you are making a joke of, is coming out humorous to you? Because I'm sure a lot of teenagers who are struggling with this are laughing about it..

Certain posters seem awfully touchy when it comes to JT.

Secret man crush, perhaps?

Its OK, you can tell us, we are in the trust tree.

I just think there are more deserving bands/artists. I guess Timberlake is the safe choice though.

McCartneys washed. His voice is shot, unfortunately.

But that doesnt necessarily stop a good show, my mom saw him last tour and had a blast.

75 years old might have something do it with. What’s your problem that you can’t sing

Justin Timberlake has talent, but hes that guy that you don't miss if hes not around!

How about Kings of Leon or Metallica or just replay the two greatest half time shows ever: Petty and Prince

Will Lady Gaga be their lead singer again?

#sellouts since 1989

75 years old might have something do it with. Whats your problem that you cant sing

Huh?

Is this the equivalent of have you ever played in the NFL??? when someone critiques the Bills?

Just sayin, hes old and the throat is showing it.

Nothing to rabble about here, but some folks will try...