Why did the bills draft Peterman?

Steptide

Let me start by saying that I believe we will see Peterman at some point this year. Whether due to Tyrod being injured or just that Tyrod is playing badly.

At any rate, it seems that McDermott is set on Taylor as the starting qb. But here's what I don't understand. Unless Tyrod has some miraculous season and takes us deep into the playoffs, I have no doubt the bills draft a qb next year. I'd say most here would agree with that. So what was the point of drafting Peterman? Was he drafted as a forever backup? I think if Tyrod and the offense continue to struggle, you have to play Peterman by week 6.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a 5th round pick and if he's nothing more than a competent backup then it's a successful pick.

Look at all the ballyhoo surrounding Reggie Ragland...

2nd round draft pick, never plays a game for us, traded for a 4th round draft pick that has yet to be used...

And that's a 4th round pick....

So we used a 5th round pick on Peterman. Fine! If he pans out, great. If not, who cares? What were we doing otherwise with that pick?

We should be taking a 5th round stab at a QB every year in my opinion, even in years when we think we have a good one, so we can start to line up that guy's successor before we need him.

If they saw something in him, why not take him? It's just a 5th rounder (a reason why they should have taken La'ell Collins in the 7th years ago). And even if they draft a QB high next year, there's no guarantee he'll turn out to be anything except overhyped/drafted.

I would assume they felt he was a steal in the 5th round especially since many experts thought he could be as high a 2nd round pick.

The only thing I'm looking forward to this season is getting a chance to see him play but since we are probably drafting a QB high in the draft next year Peteman might not have much of a chance in Buffalo unless he lights it up this season.

I would assume they felt he was a steal in the 5th round especially since many experts thought he could be as high a 2nd round pick.

The only thing I'm looking forward to this season is getting a chance to see him play but since we are probably drafting a QB high in the draft next year Peteman might not have much of a chance in Buffalo unless he lights it up this season.

If the so called experts called him a second round pick, and he is a solid citizen, the fact that the GMs thought he was a fifth round pick should alarm you not excite you.

He was a 5th rounder because he has a rag arm and does everything else well but nothing great. It's pretty easy to see. Because that's exactly who he was in preseason

If the so called experts called him a second round pick, and he is a solid citizen, the fact that the GMs thought he was a fifth round pick should alarm you not excite you.

He was a 5th rounder because he has a rag arm and does everything else well but nothing great. It's pretty easy to see. Because that's exactly who he was in preseason

PFF had Peterman graded as the 2nd best rookie QB in preaseason behind Patrick Mahomes in KC.

And just because he wasn't drafted higher it doesn't mean he's not capable of being a franchise QB. Sure the odds are against him being the next Tom Brady but with the right development you never know.

The issue with Peterman though is he's going to likely be forced into the starting lineup this year and if he does struggle when he plays it could essentially kill his career like so many QB's in Buffalo and other similar situations around the league.

Either way we all know Taylor isn't the answer and there's little value add to this team keeping him as the starter. This regime owes him nothing other than his inevitable release in the offseason.

Edited by SaviorPeterman

PFF had Peterman graded as the 2nd best rookie QB in preaseason behind Patrick Mahomes in KC.

And just because he wasn't drafted higher it doesn't mean he's not capable of being a franchise QB. Sure the odds are against him being the next Tom Brady but with the right development you never know.

The issue with Peterman though is he's going to likely be forced into the starting lineup this year and if he does struggle when he plays it could essentially kill his career like so many QB's in Buffalo and other similar situations around the league.

Either way we all know Taylor isn't the answer and there's little value add to this team keeping him as the starter. This regime owes him nothing other than his inevitable release in the offseason.

He did nothing nothing nothing whatsoever in the preseason to counter the knocks on him. Not one thing. Not one time. You realize that he had one TD, a crappy rating, a crappy completion percentage, and zero downfield, right? He wasn't even any good. He didn't read defenses or go through more than his second progression. He didn't handle rushes well. He threw eight to ten yard passes very fast very accurate very well. Thats a good thing. But that's also it. Edited by Kelly the Dog

If they do what other teams are doing and give the 1st rookie time to learn, Peterman could definitely see time next year. The rookie will have to prove it in TC, at least.

If playing too early kills him, then it's better if that happens and they move on and draft someone high next year. I don't subscribe to that theory, BTW.

Preseason.

He could be capable of being a franchise QB. Odds are stacked against him. First preseason. Second he wasn't even that great in preseason. He made some nice passes and he made some bad passes.

Many a rookie has handled starting right away. Many a rookie has not. If he cant handle it then he is soft and has no business playing in the first place.

Yes Tyrod is not good enough. The Bills need to find better.