Why did the bills draft Peterman?

Steptide

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by saying that I believe we will see Peterman at some point this year. Whether due to Tyrod being injured or just that Tyrod is playing badly.

At any rate, it seems that McDermott is set on Taylor as the starting qb. But here's what I don't understand. Unless Tyrod has some miraculous season and takes us deep into the playoffs, I have no doubt the bills draft a qb next year. I'd say most here would agree with that. So what was the point of drafting Peterman? Was he drafted as a forever backup? I think if Tyrod and the offense continue to struggle, you have to play Peterman by week 6.

He has a weak arm which was the exact knock on Brady and Montana coming out.

Lots of people thought TS in Denver couldn't play. Some thought Broncos should deal for Tyrod. News flash! TS can play (within a system to be sure - sorta like Brady). Oh and he was a 7th round pick projected by many to be a priority FA.

So how do we know Peterman cant play again? We dont know.

When people thought that Siemien couldn't play he also had Rick Dennison as his offensive coordinator.

Peterman isn't playing because he's not at good as Taylor.

How is this hard to understand?

It's really just that simple. There's no reason to believe the rookie backup QB who played just okay during the preseason is going to come in and lift the Bills to a higher caliber offense without the benefit of WRs who can create separation on a consistent basis.

Peterman isn't playing because he's not at good as Taylor.

How is this hard to understand?

I agree with this. I believe the thinking is, if you start Peterman the season is a wash immediately. Wolves are at your door immediately too. You start Tyrod, he is the better QB *right now*, if you catch lightening in a bottle, you look like a genius. If by week 10 you are still in it, you stick with Tyrod. If not you then begin to think about Peterman. Barring a playoff birth Tyrod is a dead man walking. I think everyone knows this.

Tell me what plays he made downfield. Show me what plays he made that showed real arm strength. Show me what plays he made when he was under fire on a rush outside of once or twice when he immediately ran up the middle when the rush came. Show me his touchdown passes. Show me more than one completion over 20 yards in the air. Show me one play where he went to his third progresssion. Show one game he put up points. He had like 70 rating. Crappy completion percentage. Literally one touchdown (on a fabulous pass I will admit). People here give him credit for things he never did. What he did was one thing great. Make a quick decision and get a quick pass off accurately short. That is what he did and he did it great and it is an important element. He did little else.

I don't think it's that he did so much in the pre season, it's that he can't possibly be worse than taylor

Peterman should start over Tyrod. Let's see what we have in him, we know who Tyrod is. If they both fail we know we have to go after one of the top QBs in this draft. We have a lot of firepower to trade up and get one of the top QBs

We're drafting a QB regardless of how Peterman plays.

Peterman should start over Tyrod. Let's see what we have in him, we know who Tyrod is. If they both fail we know we have to go after one of the top QBs in this draft. We have a lot of firepower to trade up and get one of the top QBs

No matter how many times you and others post this it's not going to happen until the coaches think Peterman gives the team the best chance to win or they are out of playoff contention.

People love Peterman simply because he isn't Tyrod Taylor.

This has been going on for years.

When we had Bledsoe, everyone wanted JP.

When we had JP, everyone wanted Trent.

When we had Trent, everyone wanted Fitz.

When we had seen Trent AND Fitz, everyone wanted Brian Freaking Brohm.

When we had EJ, some people legitimately wanted Tuel.

Now we have Taylor, and some people are driven to thinking Nate Peterman is an upgrade.

This season does not matter. All that matters is which QB the Bills draft next year in the 1st round and whether or not they're good enough to turn this franchise around.

Yes, except for Brohm, because the incumbents have been terrible. We aren't going anywhere with TT so let's see what Peterman can do.

Let me start by saying that I believe we will see Peterman at some point this year. Whether due to Tyrod being injured or just that Tyrod is playing badly.

At any rate, it seems that McDermott is set on Taylor as the starting qb. But here's what I don't understand. Unless Tyrod has some miraculous season and takes us deep into the playoffs, I have no doubt the bills draft a qb next year. I'd say most here would agree with that. So what was the point of drafting Peterman? Was he drafted as a forever backup? I think if Tyrod and the offense continue to struggle, you have to play Peterman by week 6.

the point of drafting Peterman was to give them several choices at backup:

1) a 6 year vet who knows something about Dennison's system and who hasn't entirely crapped the bed in the 7 games he's started

2) a rookie they regarded as a value pickup in the 5th round

The rookie won. Now he is eligible for to compete in the "backup good enough to earn a chance to start" sweepstakes that Tyrod won 3 years back.