Zay Jones drops huge catch. <radio edit>

r00tabaga

I hope before he is done here he gets to catch balls from a proper Quarterback.

If today is an indicator perhaps we should be more worried about him getting Josh Reed-disease.

That guy caught EVERYTHING in college and as a rookie..........and then........the yips.

I've seen Jones make some unbelievable catches........that's his calling card.........and he dropped 2 he normally catches today.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused - it pretty obviously looked like a corner route to me, but I'm seeing dozens of posters here saying "he shouldn't have broken to the outside." Sure, none of us have the playbook, but I'd be surprised if it was drawn up for Zay to turn it inside ... Taylor had time, and if he'd thrown it to the right spot it's a win. And of course that comes after Taylor had mismanaged the clock about as bad as you can during that final drive.

But if he looks in its a perfect throw and easy TD. We don't know the call. From what people from the Bills are saying it just as easily was Zay's rookie mistake

After seeing the new angle from yards per pass, I kind of concur. I don't think it was a perfect pass but its too difficult to assume who is at fault. Bad route or bad throw. Taylor did what people cried for. Threw with anticipation before the receiver made his break. Cant tell where the ball should be or where the receiver should be. In either case he got his hands on it so should have caught it. Also in either case Taylor and the offense was terrible for the large majority of the game.

Nope, TT is a veteran Qb and all veteran Qbs make perfect throws to their WRs, Jones is a rookie WR and should only be expected to catch balls that hit him in the numbers, not ones that they can get both hands on..........

The throw was great...it was the route that was off. Taylor threw it in the perfect spot, but Zay didn't angle his route to the open end zone. He ran it to the sideline. Still hit him in the hands.

1000% agree, when you watch the replay Zay comes out of his break running towards the 5 yard line...if he opens up his route and runs towards the pylon it's a score..doesn't condone the awful play of the offense for the first three quarters of the game, Tyrod's still not great, Zay's still not a polished receiver yet, but I still put that play on Zay...the ball is on time (for a change)

edit: for all we know Zay was supposed to get to the five and catch it out of bounds..in which case the throw IS on Tyrod...none of us know for certain, but just my initial reaction was that's on Zay...by about a 65/35 margin

Edited by bills522

@buffalobills

On the final play: "Zay is a young player. We have his back, and there were other plays out there I didn't make, the team didn't make."

@MatthewFairburn

Zay Jones said Tyrod Taylor made a good throw. Says he should have come down with the catch.

IDK if I'm reading TT's quote correctly, but that's pretty close to throwing a young guy under the bus.

Edit: Maybe just clumsy wording by TT?

Edited by stony

The same guy who said that the flags were killing the Bills today, when we had a whopping TWO!

#majoragenda

Yeah Gannon was awful......started to talk about Mario Williams as one of the Bills DE's........called Eddie Yarborough a LB........he's not a great analyst but he was way off his game today........seemed unprepared........maybe has a home in Florida or Texas something.......he seemed confused.

Oh by the way, this thread is open to all NNN's.

The gameplan was boring but it almost worked. Again, I feel bad for Zay and hope that Tyrod continues to look for him. He made a great catch earlier in that drive.

#gobills

How did it almost work? 3 points is almost working?

As a reformed homer, I hope this isn't how I sounded. That was awful offense football.

Nope, TT is a veteran Qb and all veteran Qbs make perfect throws to their WRs, Jones is a rookie WR and should only be expected to catch balls that hit him in the numbers, not ones that they can get both hands on..........

This made me chuckle....thx I needed that bud

👍

1000% agree, when you watch the replay Zay comes out of his break running towards the 5 yard line...if he opens up his route and runs towards the pylon it's a score..doesn't condone the awful play of the offense for the first three quarters of the game, Tyrod's still not great, Zay's still not a polished receiver yet, but I still put that play on Zay...the ball is on time (for a change)

Hes also struggling to keep his feet a bit which is actually why I think he was headed so sharply to the 5 yard line, just stumbled a bit on the cut, I don't think ZJ actually even meant to cut so much that direction

If today is an indicator perhaps we should be more worried about him getting Josh Reed-disease.

That guy caught EVERYTHING in college and as a rookie..........and then........the yips.

I've seen Jones make some unbelievable catches........that's his calling card.........and he dropped 2 he normally catches today.

Badol dont ruin the agenda man. I mean everyone here knows that we didnt fraft jones for his record serting catching abilities in college that would transition well into a wco...

SARCASM

Yeah Gannon was awful......started to talk about Mario Williams as one of the Bills DE's........called Eddie Yarborough a LB........he's not a great analyst but he was way off his game today........seemed unprepared........maybe has a home in Florida or Texas something.......he seemed confused.

He does a lot of Bills, Jax, Cleveland games for a reason.

#majoragenda

We are going nowhere until we get a Quarterback. That is the simple straightforward fact.

Honestly, it was a great throw. ZJ's slight stumble on the cut was the real culprit.

HOWEVER...we did NOT lose this game cuz of one play. The whole offense was dog s**t the whole day. OL got pushed around, McCoy missed some opportunities, guys dropped passes, TT struggled to get any kind of rhythm, the play calling was head scratching, clock management was a joke, we got no run lanes really established, etc.

We could have won on this one play, but we lost as a team on offense the whole day. Big Kudos to the D for playing so stout despite having to be on the filed so much.

Nope, all the fault of the QB, everyone else played great and Peterson would have hung 60+ points on the Panthers! Obviously you are a TT apologist trying to find excuses for his poor play. How can anyone expect a WR to make a catch on a ball that hits them in the hands?

Nope, all the fault of the QB, everyone else played great and Peterson would have hung 60+ points on the Panthers! Obviously you are a TT apologist trying to find excuses for his poor play. How can anyone expect a WR to make a catch on a ball that hits them in the hands?

Peterson?

The Polish Army Knife strikes again!

You are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters here.

IDK if I'm reading TT's quote correctly, but that's pretty close to throwing a young guy under the bus.

Edit: Maybe just clumsy wording by TT?

It's pretty obvious that he expected Jones to realize he was wide open and turn to the greener pasture.

You know what's Billsy..........playing the Jauron-iest Jauron Ball ever then leaving the game in the hands of a rookie on the last play.

This is how you Jauron Ball fails you........you win some you shouldn't........you lose some you shouldn't.........you get clouted by a couple really good teams.........and you end up 7-9.

When I heard the announcers start complimenting McDermott as he is running to midfield as a loser I had to turn off the TV..........we have just gone back to where we were 10 years ago in terms of the football product.

Ultra boring football.