Zay Jones drops huge catch. <radio edit>

r00tabaga

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was baseball and Tyrod is the pitcher and Zay is the catcher...

The official scorer scores that a wild pitch, not a passed ball.

I.E., the error was on Tyrod.

Having said that, sure, a great WR probably makes the catch.

Focus on that single play in this game is stupid though...

Much more interesting to focus on the fact that the Bills are pretty much tanking this year and they know it.

Edited by Fadingpain

Safety was beat bad. Zay didn't need to go to sidelines. Throw was good gentleman. Best luck to Zay going forward. I still believe in him but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. I feel awful for him.

Did Tyrod have a chance to win the game....one that nobody saw coming? So many haters. Zay catches that and we score after, then we credit Def,McD & TT with a great win.

Ahhh the didnt need to run the route they way he ran the route argument. So send me the playbook to show how that route should have been run

I just watched that replay like 20 times. First thing is if pass is thrown to the sideline it looks like the cb could have made a play on it. Second, if you forget about what would have been a perfect placement of the pass, and view it as a qb throwing the ball up to a receiver to make a play, it was definitely a ball a hell of a lot NFL receivers haul in in that situation (not a CoT member, not a Zay hater)

Perfect summary

The throw was perfect, he threw it to where the receiver would run UNDER the ball, Tyrod threw the ball right when Zay broke off his route. Zay made an unnecessary adjustment making a routine catch infinitely times harder( he still should've caught it as he got two hands on it) for himself.

After seeing the new angle from yards per pass, I kind of concur. I don't think it was a perfect pass but its too difficult to assume who is at fault. Bad route or bad throw. Taylor did what people cried for. Threw with anticipation before the receiver made his break. Cant tell where the ball should be or where the receiver should be. In either case he got his hands on it so should have caught it. Also in either case Taylor and the offense was terrible for the large majority of the game.

That's on both of them to a point. Probably should of caught it but the throw wasn't that good either

If you watch the replay, the real failure by ZJ was not the non-catch, it was on his cut which was NOT clean and that made him need to regain his feet again just enough to make him LATE to look for the ball and a late attempt to make a tough catch.

If ZJ runs a clean route thats an easy TD...but it was the cut that was more of an issue than not catching the pass. Granted, its a pass you want him to catch there, but it was not an easy catch by any means the way he was stretched out. However, the REASON he was stretched out was because of his sloppy route that him stumbling while the ball was in the air

Oh by the way, this thread is open to all NNN's.

The gameplan was boring but it almost worked. Again, I feel bad for Zay and hope that Tyrod continues to look for him. He made a great catch earlier in that drive.

#gobills

So the gameplan was to have 15 yards of Qb generated offense at the half? Some plan, that.

And he had already put himself as close to the sideline as you want to be for a guy throwing the ball 40 yards away.........he didn't need to turn his shoulders to the sideline at that point.........he was past the defense and should have anticipated a more TD friendly throw.

Yet Former NFL QB said that throw needs to be made. Sorry taking an actual QB analysis

If you watch the replay, the real failure by ZJ was not the non-catch, it was on his cut which was NOT clean and that made him need to regain his feet again just enough to make him LATE to look for the ball and a late attempt to make a tough catch.

If ZJ runs a clean route thats an easy TD...but it was the cut that was more of an issue than not catching the pass. Granted, its a pass you want him to catch there, but it was not an easy catch by any means the way he was stretched out. However, the REASON he was stretched out was because of his sloppy route that him stumbling while the ball was in the air

MajorBob wants the playbook, do u have one?

Great analysis btw.

Edited by r00tabaga

I just watched that replay like 20 times. First thing is if pass is thrown to the sideline it looks like the cb could have made a play on it. Second, if you forget about what would have been a perfect placement of the pass, and view it as a qb throwing the ball up to a receiver to make a play, it was definitely a ball a hell of a lot NFL receivers haul in in that situation (not a CoT member, not a Zay hater)

Exactly, Should have been a better throw, but also should have been a catch too, NFL WRs should be expected to haul in a catch that they can get both hands on.

Doesn't matter if you like/love/hate/despise TT, no QB makes every throw perfectly, and good WRs are able to make catches on poor throws that are within the reach of their hands.

@buffalobills

On the final play: "Zay is a young player. We have his back, and there were other plays out there I didn't make, the team didn't make."

@MatthewFairburn

Zay Jones said Tyrod Taylor made a good throw. Says he should have come down with the catch.

I hope before he is done here he gets to catch balls from a proper Quarterback.

He goes to the Pylon because it is a freaking corner route

I'm confused - it pretty obviously looked like a corner route to me, but I'm seeing dozens of posters here saying "he shouldn't have broken to the outside." Sure, none of us have the playbook, but I'd be surprised if it was drawn up for Zay to turn it inside ... Taylor had time, and if he'd thrown it to the right spot it's a win. And of course that comes after Taylor had mismanaged the clock about as bad as you can during that final drive.

@buffalobills

On the final play: "Zay is a young player. We have his back, and there were other plays out there I didn't make, the team didn't make."

@MatthewFairburn

Zay Jones said Tyrod Taylor made a good throw. Says he should have come down with the catch.

Honestly, it was a great throw. ZJ's slight stumble on the cut was the real culprit.

HOWEVER...we did NOT lose this game cuz of one play. The whole offense was dog s**t the whole day. OL got pushed around, McCoy missed some opportunities, guys dropped passes, TT struggled to get any kind of rhythm, the play calling was head scratching, clock management was a joke, we got no run lanes really established, etc.

We could have won on this one play, but we lost as a team on offense the whole day. Big Kudos to the D for playing so stout despite having to be on the filed so much.

Yet Former NFL QB said that throw needs to be made. Sorry taking an actual QB analysis

He said that in judgement right when it happened...its not like he sat there and studied the replay and broke the play down. He had the same initial reaction, so lets not some how turn Gannon on the fly comment as the word of God now.