Bills Lurk in off-axis NFL

theRalph

Bill coach Sean McDermott talked about coaching youth soccer this week on WGR. The sound approach to fundamentals that gig requires seems to have also taken hold at One BIlls Drive. These Bills passed the eye test last week. I'm way past dissing the win because of the Jets. Those same Jets will be a big problem for the Raiders tomorrow. Watch.

Maybe the national consensus is correct and the Bills are "rebuilding". I believe the truth is closer to them being a team that believes it can compete because they believe they've earned it. And, based on the week 1 league wide offensively offensive offensive performances that are the talk of the in NFL world, should the Bills prevail in Charlotte (34-20 is my guess), be listening for the national press to rant about how Cam Newton and the Panthers are past their prime. Indeed, an NFL season with stunted offensive production would be just the tonic to finish the blasted drought. But patience pays...the Bills won't get any credit until midseason and, until then, any of their successes will be excused away by flawed opponents. Like in week one.

If its an off year for offense and the Patriots are really 40, this might, just might, be the year the Bills become relevant.

Edited by theRalph

I also believe that McD and Beane are doing the right things here. I am not sure how things will turn out, but I believed it will be better than most people think and that this team will compete in every game. There are just too many unknowns to determine what will happen. If we can stay relatively healthy at the key positions, avoid mistakes, and get a little lucky(as most teams do at some point in winning seasons), we can push for a playoff run IMO.

That said, that's a lot to go your way. Let's hope for the best, this team, and our suffering fan base could all use some positive energy about now!

Go Bills! Start the stampede...

To the OP's point, I too believe that the Bills passed the "eye test" last week. I really was extremely concerned in the preseason because they looked like a young team trying out new things. I've been conditioned to think that this is due to bad coaching and disorganization. Of course, they were playing the Jets last week, but we had our way with them and really controlled the game well. Carolina is a quality opponent. If they can come in today and do the same thing that happened last week (i.e. play a well coached, game planned game, stay competitive, and concentrate on fundamentals), we will have a chance at winning and then all bets are off...

Now, the flip side that I'm concerned about... I'm 100% conditioned to know that this team will eventually fail and fail hard. We were what 5-1 or something in 2008 before Trent Edwards' brain got scrambled in Phoenix? A couple years later, we beat the Pats and Raiders and looked like a championship team in September/October. We were out of the playoffs by Halloween that year. The only cure for us fans is for this team to somehow turn it around. Based on last weeks performance, there's an inkling of hope. I'll keep it suppressed though and just hope that we beat the Panthers today.

Heck, since I live in NC, I hope we crush the Panthers! #1 in AFC EAST, BABY!!!

Bill coach Sean McDermott talked about coaching youth soccer this week on WGR. The sound approach to fundamentals that gig requires seems to have also taken hold at One BIlls Drive. These Bills passed the eye test last week. I'm way past dissing the win because of the Jets. Those same Jets will be a big problem for the Raiders tomorrow. Watch.

Maybe the national consensus is correct and the Bills are "rebuilding". I believe the truth is closer to them being a team that believes it can compete because they believe they've earned it. And, based on the week 1 league wide offensively offensive offensive performances that are the talk of the in NFL world, should the Bills prevail in Charlotte (34-20 is my guess), be listening for the national press to rant about how Cam Newton and the Panthers are past their prime. Indeed, an NFL season with stunted offensive production would be just the tonic to finish the blasted drought. But patience pays...the Bills won't get any credit until midseason and, until then, any of their successes will be excused away by flawed opponents. Like in week one.

If its an off year for offense and the Patriots are really 40, this might, just might, be the year the Bills become relevant.

Good points, theRalph. But until the Bills start beating teams "they're not supposed to beat" they'll still be the same old Bills to the football world. It all boils down to that. Go Bills in Carolina.

Good points, theRalph. But until the Bills start beating teams "they're not supposed to beat" they'll still be the same old Bills to the football world. It all boils down to that. Go Bills in Carolina.

You are looking at 1 this week.

Most experts are picking CAR

Fun fact

Buffalo is 5-1 all-time against Carolina, including 2-0 on the road.

Do it for the fans!!!

You can only play your schedule. But just know when we beat those teams, excuses get made as to why. The Bills get credit grudgingly.

You can only play your schedule. But just know when we beat those teams, excuses get made as to why. The Bills get credit grudgingly.

This team hasnt earned the benefit of the doubt. They win today that may start to change. Until they start winning games people dont expect them to win they will continue to get looked down upon. The Jets are a joke. Probably a 2 or 3 win team. Absolutely nothing can be derived from that win. Go out and beat a quality team. New England does it all the time.

I seem to recall a Ravens team that won a superbowl with season scores of 13 - 7. Defense can indeed win championships. Their quarterback was Trent Dilfer for Christs sake

Different era of football. And I said SUSTAINABLE sucess didnt i. Not the one off

The way our new guys in the secondary played last week was really enouraging.

If we can continue to:

1. Get better up front on D (which I think we can)

2. Swarm in the secondary

3. Run the ball

4. Not make penalities or turnovers

...we will make the playoffs.

Bottom line being a good game plan, lack of mistakes, and good fundamentals will take any team in the NFL a long way and we have talent enough to put together a winning streak in this league if we do those things. It's not as hard as 17 years would leave you to believe.

Edited by dayman

the fast track to the top would be phasing in Peterman around week ten and continuing his development. there is a chance this kid can be a solid pro, and having six early draft picks would certainly help his Oline and weapons for next year.

Meanwhile, I still think TT is exciting to watch, even if he isnt the best thrower.

the fast track to the top would be phasing in Peterman around week ten and continuing his development. there is a chance this kid can be a solid pro, and having six early draft picks would certainly help his Oline and weapons for next year.

Meanwhile, I still think TT is exciting to watch, even if he isnt the best thrower.

:wallbash:

Nobody is talking about phasing in a rookie QB.

If anything, tell Tyrod to be Tyrod and run a lot and capitalize on his advantage...if/when he tweaks something and misses a few games we'll see what Peterman can do.

I like this thread. I am one that tempers excitement because it was just the Jets, but have some optimism now. Not neccesarily because of the Bills performance, but more so the pathetic state of many other teams. When we were 31 in the power rankings, my thought was "that sounds about right", but now I think 25ish is the floor and we may actually be in the 15-20 range. Still I doubt we "become relevant again" this year, but it seems more possible than it did 7 days ago.

his upside is limited to a good backup. I don't want to rush him in but the expectation is if we faulted by the bye Peterman comes in per sources w bills

I love the optimism!

But I'm not sure why some random thoughts about the Bills being underrated/underappreciated and becoming relevant deserves its own thread?

I do hope you're right about today's score!

Edited by hondo in seattle

I like this thread. I am one that tempers excitement because it was just the Jets, but have some optimism now. Not neccesarily because of the Bills performance, but more so the pathetic state of many other teams. When we were 31 in the power rankings, my thought was "that sounds about right", but now I think 25ish is the floor and we may actually be in the 15-20 range. Still I doubt we "become relevant again" this year, but it seems more possible than it did 7 days ago.

my expectation for the year was the Bills would be competitive in most games. Anything other than a close loss will change my view, for better or worse. Edited by TPS

Its hard to rebuild when you have the 4th oldest team in the NFL.......This is nothing more than a short term fix to appease the easily distracted fans ........the lipstick on this pig wont change that this regime is still sporting a pig ......nice try

I love the optimism!

But I'm not sure why some random thoughts about the Bills being underrated/underappreciated and becoming relevant deserves its own thread?

I do hope you're right about today's score!

Everyone is always so worried about new threads around here. I don't see the big deal. Obviously you don't want thread spamming, or massive redundancy, but we have a half dozen threads not even about the Bills on the main page, so I don't see how this has any less merit than those.

Just my $.02

I'm not delusional or overly optimistic but a 27th power ranking (which we are as I type) is outrageous. We are no where near the 5th crappiest team in the league.

So your definition is getting to playoffs and rapidly exiting said playoffs. Got it.

The Chiefs have won more games than anyone in the league except the Patriots and the Steelers the past five years. I would call that sustained success, especially compared to what the Bills have done this past generation. But really, I'm just sick of you turning every thread into an excuse to bash Tyrod. It's a shame, because you definitely have some interesting takes and a lot to contribute to the board.

The Chiefs have won more games than anyone in the league except the Patriots and the Steelers the past five years. I would call that sustained success, especially compared to what the Bills have done this past generation. But really, I'm just sick of you turning every thread into an excuse to bash Tyrod. It's a shame, because you definitely have some interesting takes and a lot to contribute to the board.

Never brought up TT did I? Just said no long term success until QB is answered.

Did I say TT is not that answer? So much thin skin with Bills fans

Edited by MAJBobby

Not sure if you were including the Bills in the statement about it being an off year for offenses, but I don't think they are an exception. Doesn't get any easier next week with Denver. I do think they will get better as the season progresses, but they sure have a tough schedule...