Don't worry about Marcell Dareus' playing time. He's not.

SaviorPeterman

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/09/13/marcell-dareus-playing-time-not-issue-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott/661670001/

Don't worry about Marcell Dareus' playing time. He's not.
Sal Maiorana, @salmaiorana Published 2:18 p.m. ET Sept. 13, 2017 | Updated 12:25 p.m. ET Sept. 14, 2017

ORCHARD PARK – Sean McDermott denied it Monday, then he denied it again Wednesday, and basically warned everyone not to read anything into Marcell Dareus’ somewhat low snap count in last Sunday’s season-opening victory over the Jets.

Everyone knows Dareus’ checkered past with the Buffalo Bills, and McDermott himself got a taste of the big defensive tackle’s immaturity last month when he failed to get on any of the buses that were transporting the Bills from their team hotel in Baltimore to the stadium prior to the third preseason game. McDermott disciplined him harshly, sending him home.

However, that had nothing to do with Dareus playing only 59 percent of the defensive plays in the first game. And, if Dareus had played every snap, it would have had nothing to do with the fact that he’s the highest-paid player on the team. McDermott doesn’t care about any of that.

Edited by SaviorPeterman

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to get too excited about this. DTs can have a good game and show nothing on the stat sheet and they rotated their D Lineman, so what. If you can "afford" to rotate and the game is under control why not, the season is very long.

No if his stat sheet is blank for a few more weeks , then there is something to get worried about.

Frankly, I appreciate McDermott's take on fresh bodies, and my hope is that it doesn't just keep guys fresh, but healthy.

While I may be talking over my head, I see the number of injuries happening to players early in the season, and part of that I attribute to how lax the training camps are due to the players' union getting them out of 2-a-days, practice with pads, etc. The thinking seems to be that since they're not really in game-day shape by the time game day comes around, you need to rotate them more often as they work their way into game-day shape a few games in.

Could be wrong, but by the end of the Jets game, you could tell who was fresh.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I didn't realize this was a thread to bash Dareus. My bad.

Edited by LABillzFan

Frankly, I appreciate McDermott's take on fresh bodies, and my hope is that it doesn't just keep guys fresh, but healthy.

While I may be talking over my head, I see the number of injuries happening to players early in the season, and part of that I attribute to how lax the training camps are due to the players' union getting them out of 2-a-days, practice with pads, etc. The thinking seems to be that since they're not really in game-day shape by the time game day comes around, you need to rotate them more often as they work their way into game-day shape a few games in.

I am all in on rotation when you can do it effectively (unlike last year's embarrassment) esp early in the season, NFL to a large degree is a battle of attrition

Vic Carucci was breathlessly squawking about the Bills not playing their highest-paid player enough. Just the latest ginned-up media controversy. So let me see if I understand: Carucci and the media insist that McDermott has to play Dareus the most because of his paycheck, even though this regime weren't the ones who signed that contract?? How does this even make any sense?

Vic Carucci was breathlessly squawking about the Bills not playing their highest-paid player enough. Just the latest ginned-up media controversy. So let me see if I understand: Carucci and the media insist that McDermott has to play Dareus the most because of his paycheck, even though this regime weren't the ones who signed that contract?? How does this even make any sense?

Isn't the first sentence a dead giveaway?

Sean McDermott denied it Monday, then he denied it again Wednesday, and basically warned everyone not to read anything into Marcell Dareus’ somewhat low snap count in last Sunday’s season-opening victory over the Jets.

Coach "denied it" - obviously trying to shield us from truth that is out there, that we really SHOULD read into it! :beer:

Also, OP, don't think you're supposed to quote the entire article...

And I should add, I'm all in on a rotation if it keeps our guys fresh and we have enough quality players to make it work! It's week 2, let's keep our guys fresh in the game and in the season.

Edited by Heitz

It makes sense if you remember that sports writers like Carucci will forever question how an overweight, undisciplined, spoiled athlete earns millions of dollars while Carucci is heating up his Top Ramen for lunch in the office microwave to break up his 14-hour workday.

Maybe someone has the exact stats, I don't remember them offhand, but didn't Dareus only play roughly 60% of the snaps in 2014 under Schwartz? That was maybe his best season in the NFL. Schwartz had a good, healthy rotation going that year.

McDermott also likes to rotate his D line. He did it in Carolina too.

I had no issue with the rotation.

What was more interesting to me is Dareus being used more as a 2 down run stuffed and being taken off the field on 3rd downs (when they were rushing the passer). I will be very interested to see if that's a trend that continues.

What a totally misleading thread title. He didn't say I don't care.

He was carefully answering questions that were clearly trying to bait him into saying he's upset about the snap count. He answered the questions properly and handled himself nicely. He's a heck of a player and isn't out of shape. He's a menace and played pretty damn good in that game.

What a totally misleading thread title. He didn't say I don't care.

He was carefully answering questions that were clearly trying to bait him into saying he's upset about the snap count. He answered the questions properly and handled himself nicely. He's a heck of a player and isn't out of shape. He's a menace and played pretty damn good in that game.

It's the title of the article from Rochester D&C hence the thread title.

And why would Dareus care if he plays 50% of the snaps each game when's he's collecting a ridiculous payday and don't have to give max effort?

Maybe someone has the exact stats, I don't remember them offhand, but didn't Dareus only play roughly 60% of the snaps in 2014 under Schwartz? That was maybe his best season in the NFL. Schwartz had a good, healthy rotation going that year.

McDermott also likes to rotate his D line. He did it in Carolina too.

I had no issue with the rotation.

What was more interesting to me is Dareus being used more as a 2 down run stuffed and being taken off the field on 3rd downs (when they were rushing the passer). I will be very interested to see if that's a trend that continues.

FWIW, here are the snap counts for the Bills in 2014, during the magical year under Schwartz

Dareus played 62%

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/908003947646001152

I agree with your last statement. I wish he'd get more snaps where he can just fly off the ball and go 100% at the QB. It sounds like his responsibilities don't really call for that yet. At the same time, I saw Kyle blow up some gaps on early downs, so I don't know.

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/908003947646001152

I agree with your last statement. I wish he'd get more snaps where he can just fly off the ball and go 100% at the QB. It sounds like his responsibilities don't really call for that yet. At the same time, I saw Kyle blow up some gaps on early downs, so I don't know.

I agree as well. Marcel is one of the best penetrating DT's in the game. It's a shame that he isn't on the field for 3rd and long to get after the QB.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I didn't realize this was a thread to bash Dareus. My bad.

seems to be the norm for some around here. nothing better to do but bash/disrespect a player or worry about his money. it say's a lot about said persons that do so. you know, since they're so much better of a person and feel it's their obligation to bash/disrespect or worry about their bank accounts.