The Orville

bdutton

I caught this Sunday. I was really excited since I love Star Trek, All of the work that Seth McFarland has done over the years and Galaxy Quest.

I found the show was trying to take itself too seriously. The snarky humor was sometimes good but usually fell flat. The scene where they destroy the Krill ship was clever and funny though.

I'm going to give this a few more episodes. I really hope it delivers better.

Anyone else watch this and have an opinion to share?

I've been looking forward to it but am going to wait a couple weeks and bingd a block of episodes

Looking forward to Orvilee more than the new Star Trek Discovery (STD? :P)

I think this is the way to go with most new shows. I usually give a new show three episodes before I make a decision. The pilot is it's own thing (it has the most money, it's usually over-developed, and no one knows their characters), the second episode is usually a reactive episode to the notes/critiques of the pilot from the executives, by the third show the cast/crew/writing staff usually finds their footing.

If by the third show it's still clunky/dragging/bad then I'll tap out.

I was bored for the most part and found the humor sophomoric and unfunny most of the time.

I did like Galaxy Quest, but I am probably not the target audience as I prefer Star Trek "serious" to parody.

I do think emphasizing flaws and real life problems potentially creates more well-rounded characters.

It's true one has to give a show a while to find its feet. First season of Star Trek Next Generation is laughably bad.

I was bored for the most part and found the humor sophomoric and unfunny most of the time.

I did like Galaxy Quest, but I am probably not the target audience as I prefer Star Trek "serious" to parody.

I do think emphasizing flaws and real life problems potentially creates more well-rounded characters.

It's true one has to give a show a while to find its feet. First season of Star Trek Next Generation is laughably bad.

Isn't that the definition of Seth MacFarlane?

We'll give it some more time, but it almost felt like they couldn't decide what kind of comedy they wanted to be, so they ultimately started adding stuff at the last minute.

The shooting scene when they were escaping to their pod...it was so bad I kept waiting to see Crow and Tom Servo to show up, but was it meant to be that ridiculously bad?

Likewise, the bit where the Krill goes on the big screen and is standing off-center of the camera, and they try to get him to stand in the middle, and before you know it the Krill is discussing what he considers to be the role of the husband in a successful marriage. All funny stuff, but nowhere near the kind of humor they were attempting in the rest of the show.

Felt like they were making it up as they went along.

Funny. I absolutely love Galaxy Quest precisely because it mocks people who take Star Trek too seriously. But in fairness, the basic plot has been done quite a few times and rarely fails (see "The Three Amigos" and "A Bug's Life").

Isn't that the definition of Seth MacFarlane?

I'm still trying to figure out why they keep giving him more shows. Even if they have completely different writing teams, he has to be stretched beyond thin at this point.

I finally watched it last night and couldn't tell if it was a serious Star Trek reboot with some funny lines or a satire that took itself too seriously. The problem is half the jokes were flat which has always been my complaint about MacFarlane when he ventures outside of Family Guy. I'm going to give this a couple more episodes before abandoning it.

3rd episode last night. I think its still trying to find its purpose but so far I'm liking it.

Same here - I like that they don't try too hard on making it strictly and purely comedy.

I didn't know they moved it to Thursday. Just watched it and I agree with both of these. I enjoyed it enough to keep watching, but you're right in that it's still trying to find its footing. I think the reason for it imo is I'm used to rapid fire comedy with MacFarlane where maybe 1/2 of the jokes hit. It's just odd for it to be a serious show with occasional comedy. It would almost work better if MacFarlane simply wrote it and somebody else played the captain.

I didn't know they moved it to Thursday. Just watched it and I agree with both of these. I enjoyed it enough to keep watching, but you're right in that it's still trying to find its footing. I think the reason for it imo is I'm used to rapid fire comedy with MacFarlane where maybe 1/2 of the jokes hit. It's just odd for it to be a serious show with occasional comedy. It would almost work better if MacFarlane simply wrote it and somebody else played the captain.

He did a special on CBS (I think?) for what would have been Sinatra's 100th Birthday. The dude has pipes. But it was odd seeing him do something completely serious, but he did a great job at it.

He did a special on CBS (I think?) for what would have been Sinatra's 100th Birthday. The dude has pipes. But it was odd seeing him do something completely serious, but he did a great job at it.

Yep - I saw some of that and was shocked. He has a hell of a voice:

He does a show at the Hollywood bowl every year, or at least he did, it was always a fun venue and show.

I'll bet that would be a great show. I'm not really too into that particular style of music, but I'd still enjoy seeing that performed live.

• 2 weeks later...

Last nights episode was great! Seriously laughed my ass off and it had some excellent sci-fi story line.

Also, Charlize Theron and Adrianne Palicki were smokin hot in this episode. There was a practical joke thread in the storyline that was seriously hilarious.

The removing the guys leg practical joke had me rolling. Now, there was either a plot hole/mistake or inside extended joke when the leg fell from the ceiling. The leg was supposed to be cut off at the knee but the leg that fell from the ceiling was cut off at the hip. So its either a mistake or there could be another lower leg sighting in the future...

Last nights episode was great! Seriously laughed my ass off and it had some excellent sci-fi story line.

Also, Charlize Theron and Adrianne Palicki were smokin hot in this episode. There was a practical joke thread in the storyline that was seriously hilarious.

The removing the guys leg practical joke had me rolling. Now, there was either a plot hole/mistake or inside extended joke when the leg fell from the ceiling. The leg was supposed to be cut off at the knee but the leg that fell from the ceiling was cut off at the hip. So its either a mistake or there could be another lower leg sighting in the future...

I lost it when Malloy had to return to the bridge before his regeneration was complete. :lol:

That was the best episode so far, even though time travel stories give me a headache.

The traditional remedy for headaches is to take 2 aspirin and call your doctor in the morning. But with time travel the part about calling your doctor in the morning does present a bit a of a paradox

The traditional remedy for headaches is to take 2 aspirin and call your doctor in the morning. But with time travel the part about calling your doctor in the morning does present a bit a of a paradox

Ce0P-f9XIAAhplf.jpg