The Orville

bdutton

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another solid episode. Kind of a foreboding ending too.

Best line:

"That was a brand new leg!"

They pry should have started the series with the last two episodes as they managed two interesting stories with just the right amount of comedy that hit each time. They even gave a nod to the car scene in The Twilight Zone movie with CCR's "The Midnight Special."

What happened to the automatic fire suppression?

That's the panel that caught fire.

Edited by Doc Brown

They pry should have started the series with the last two episodes as they managed two interesting stories with just the right amount of comedy that hit each time.

What happened to the automatic fire suppression?

That's the panel that caught fire.

It's usually the case with new shows that it takes a few episodes to find their rhythm. Things change story-wise/big-picture wise when you move from the development of a pilot to the execution of your first season. I'm only now catching up with the show, but I'm diggin it.

It's usually the case with new shows that it takes a few episodes to find their rhythm. Things change story-wise/big-picture wise when you move from the development of a pilot to the execution of your first season. I'm only now catching up with the show, but I'm diggin it.

That's true, but I thought they could have made a better pilot as it can make or break a series. Breaking Bad for example started with a cold opening of Walter White in only his underwear and a respirator crashing a winnebago in the desert. I was immediately hooked wondering what led up to that event. Lost had the plane crash. GOT had Whites attacking members of the Night's Watch. The Orville could've done something to hook us like starting in the middle of a space fight with all the crew on board operating as a finely tuned machine. Then they go to the back story.

That's true, but I thought they could have made a better pilot as it can make or break a series. Breaking Bad for example started with a cold opening of Walter White in only his underwear and a respirator crashing a winnebago in the desert. I was immediately hooked wondering what led up to that event. Lost had the plane crash. GOT had Whites attacking members of the Night's Watch. The Orville could've done something to hook us like starting in the middle of a space fight with all the crew on board operating as a finely tuned machine. Then they go to the back story.

I absolutely agree.

That's what elevates the great shows from the good shows sometimes. And BB is definitely a great piece of tv in its totality and individual parts. So far, it's a good show. It can grow into a great show from a soft opening, just like a show with a great start can fizzle.

They pry should have started the series with the last two episodes as they managed two interesting stories with just the right amount of comedy that hit each time. They even gave a nod to the car scene in The Twilight Zone movie with CCR's "The Midnight Special."

I was expecting the pilot to say, "Wanna see something really scary?"

• 2 weeks later...

Decent episode. Pretty solid real life lesson on how absolute democracy sucks.

The dangers of an absolute democracy or social media isn't new. What I which they explored more was the dangers of an oversensitive culture who finds any little thing offensive. This is what scares me about the trajectory of our society. I rolled my eyes with the "you can do better" line at the end. However, the jokes hit for the most part. Best line was "She saved the whale forest?"

Edited by Doc Brown

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I am a big family guy and Seth fan, but I haven't been able to get into this show. I had the one episode on after the Bills Jets game and I thought it was pretty boring and not really funny

It gets better.  A lot better.  Did you watch any more than the one episode?

• 1 month later...

Watched Orville last few days; the first 10 episodes were available online for free.  Not really into Seth MacFarlane's type of humor (Family guy, etc) and only role I can recall liking him him in was Hellboy II: The Golden Army buy maybe I remember which part he did.   Most of the crew appear to be characters who would have not place to go other than on his crew and whose idiosyncrasies appear to be worth than Mr. Ed's so it is hard to believe when they go from straight comedy to SF.  I'd prefer to see a half hour trimmed show without the juvenile humor.  Was watching one episode where Mr. Ed's best friend is killed and I thought immediately "There is no one they kill off the one character who has proven he is more of an idiot than Mr. Ed so this has to be imagined or holodeck episode"  and I was right.

Not sure I will watch it again.  Not even sure where it is playing although from screen capture it appears on Fox which probably means a SF series which will be killed quickly even if Fox has renewed it.