THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Off and Running

Shaw66

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex would have been attacking and confusing a young quarterback more than we saw yesterday. The new guys have more of a do your job, tackle what's infront of you and let the drive stall due to the offenses own weaknesses. Both approaches work against bad teams, I'm hoping they bring a few more blitzes against the better QBs.

That Poyer blitz was nice to see.

I heard Poyer talking on the radio today, he said that was not actually a blitz call. They were in man coverage and he read his key on the TE, TE blocked so Poyer was free to do as he saw fit....wisely, he chose to rush the passer! Love it.

For the most part, McCown was getting the ball out of his hand pretty fast. I think that had a bit to do with the front 4's lack of pressure.

Exactly what happened almost all day...quick hitting pass attempts usually do not lead to much pressure from the D, expect that all year from the Jets

This D line will generate pressure, just tough to do on 2-3 step drops

The stills clearly show the ball going through Clay's hands. Was it an easy catch? No. Was it a catch that a professional tight end SHOULD make? Yes. These guys are paid big bucks to make catches. You look around the league and watch receivers catch passes where they have to contort their bodies to get their hands on the ball every week. Simply put, the ball was in Clay's catch radius and it should've been made.

It's not just about the throw being high. It's also about the defender in front of Charles Clay, ready to take his head off.

Clay missed that pass, because he was bracing for a big hit.

Tyrod Taylor had a pretty good day, but I believe that interception was his fault.

I think we can all agree that it wasn't a perfect throw, but it was catchable.

TT is capable of making that throw with better ball placement, but that time he didn't. It happens to all QBs from time to time.

CC is capable of making that catch, even with the ball not perfectly placed, but that time he didn't. It happens to all receivers/TEs from time to time.

A little history: when the Bills made OJ Simpson their RB way back when, their head coach was John Rauch. John Rauch did indeed have the "brilliant" notion to make OJ Simpson a decoy in his offense. He did not last very long as Bills head coach. So some head coaches are indeed stupid!

So Ralph broke down and brought Saban back, who actually gave the ball to Simpson and as a consequence looked like a genius!

Statistically, yes, it was a typical Tyrod day. We've seen a dozen of those games - low 200 yards, decent percentage, a couple of touchdowns, runs well, low INTs.

But I thought he LOOKED better. I think we saw a lot of the things that people have been saying he needed to do. He stayed in the pocket and generally didn't begin scrambling until it was time to go. He got rid of the ball quickly on many throws. He was accurate on his short throws. He threw over the middle.

And I'll say it again - I don't think Tyrod all of a sudden became a better QB. I think he's playing in a system that asks him to do those things and that creates open receivers to throw to. Most of the throws he had to make were easy, because his options were clear. He's a good athlete and he works hard off the field to master his position. He's taking advantage of what the coaches are giving him.

I too don't understand it. The Bills went through about 15 years with quarterbacks who simply weren't good enough. Guys with 80, 82 passer ratings, which means they simply weren't making enough plays. They finally get a guy who DOES make enough plays to win, not a Favre or Manning or Rodgers, but a guy who puts up solid performances most weeks, and some people talk about him like he's a bag of pistachio shells.

Because if you're not headed for the HOF, you suck and shouldn't be playing. Especially if we already made up our minds!

Actually I think the Jet DB (22,23?) was watching Jones and ends up committing totally to Clay AFTER TT committed to throwing it, i thin Jones would have been covered,

Good point, either way throwing to Jones would have been entirely the wrong decision.

Actually I think the Jet DB (22,23?) was watching Jones and ends up committing totally to Clay AFTER TT committed to throwing it, i thin Jones would have been covered,

Looked to me like the safety that hit Clay in the back also picked the DB covering Jones. Doubt he gets picked if the safety isn't moving in for the breakup.

Always enjoyed reading your write ups on BBMB! Thanks for the good stuff as usual.

As for the RB play-I can't help but wonder if Buffalo might be better served by another 2nd choice RB. Would Banyard, Jones, or even JWill (had he remained on the team) do more with those carries than Tolbert? The fact that Tolbert CAN cut doesn't mean he should be granted the 2nd RB spot. I understand the desire to keep him on the roster for short yardage situations, but I don't understand why they are forcing him into the 2nd RB slot when the other backs played so well during the preseason.

Shady had a great game. Little bit of a worrying moment when he was being inspected.. but he ended up coming back the next series I believe. If he goes down, the offense will look significantly worse. Here's to hoping that he remains healthy the rest of the year and gives us a shot at the playoffs.

I think they like the contrast in running styles between McCoy and Tolbert because Tolbert is probably a much more physical tackle, while Shady requires discipline and technique to bottle in. Two entirely different approaches to tackling those two guys and that type of stuff gets into the heads of defenders. Tackling is the most important part of defense and for the best defenders it's almost instinctive, when you add an element of thinking to an instinctive player you've impacted their effectiveness and you keep them on their toes. I'm not calling the Bills genius for implementing such a 1-2 punch, because it's not like they are innovating here, but I get why they'd want Tolbert spelling McCoy, and I was impressed with his involvement in the offense.

I'm not ready to call this as an arrow pointing up moment for the Bills, but it is refreshing to see good coaching and team discipline on display, especially on the D. I was worried about the Offense taking a step backwards, but I may have come to the realization that maybe the talent is there to be successful with whatever scheme they run as long as they put emphasis on running the ball.

I've been waiting for a good clip of this.

Think Clay should've had it but I'm not sure that's a TD if he does catch it.

I think you're right. But that's one thing that isn't Taylor's fault.

Clay definitely could have caught it, but the throw wasn't where it was supposed to be.

Clay definitely could have caught it, but the throw wasn't where it was supposed to be.

if TT had thrown it to Clay as soon as he made his break it would have been a TD

if TT had thrown it to Clay as soon as he made his break it would have been a TD

I have to agree with this. Waited a little too long. That's a fast moving play/ball, so I have a difficult time faulting Clay. It was a bad pass (which happens to all QBs; especially in week 1).

We got the win.

I think they like the contrast in running styles between McCoy and Tolbert because Tolbert is probably a much more physical tackle, while Shady requires discipline and technique to bottle in. Two entirely different approaches to tackling those two guys and that type of stuff gets into the heads of defenders. Tackling is the most important part of defense and for the best defenders it's almost instinctive, when you add an element of thinking to an instinctive player you've impacted their effectiveness and you keep them on their toes. I'm not calling the Bills genius for implementing such a 1-2 punch, because it's not like they are innovating here, but I get why they'd want Tolbert spelling McCoy, and I was impressed with his involvement in the offense.

I'm not ready to call this as an arrow pointing up moment for the Bills, but it is refreshing to see good coaching and team discipline on display, especially on the D. I was worried about the Offense taking a step backwards, but I may have come to the realization that maybe the talent is there to be successful with whatever scheme they run as long as they put emphasis on running the ball.

I think it IS an arrow up moment for the Bills precisely for the reasons you give - good coaching and team discipline. Not saying this is a playoff team, but if the team is organized and disciplined, you can add talent and get better. Last season I had the feeling that Rex wasn't going to win regardless of the talent the Bills might get. So I'm definitely feeling good.

This Sunday will tell a lot. I actually care less about winning than I do about the Bills being competitive. Can this team, with last season's talent and this season's coaching, compete with a team with some big offensive threats and a good defense? If the Bills can compete, we've got something to get excited about. If the Bills can win, well, then it's a whole new ballgame.

I think you're right. Problem was that Clay wasn't the first option. Maybe Taylor came to him late, maybe he was too slow recognizing what was happening and he should have seen Clay earlier. No way for us to know.

So directly in both Clays hands directly in front of his face is not where the ball is supposed to be? We are talking about one of the highest paid players at his position in the NFL...that is a ball that all the great QB's throw to the same spot, but CLAY didn't come through.

And you guys do realize that the only reason the WR is open behind him is because the defender covering him breaks off to go towards Clay as he sees TT begin to throw his way right? lol

Only here would a guy missing a catch get a pass and the QB get blamed. I don't care what anyones opinion is about TT, but this play HAS to be made by Clay. Its a divisional game, you don't come up short like that in those moments if you want the contract he has. I mean I would expect our backup TE to make that catch too.

And unfortunately, Clay has way too many of these moments for a guy making as much money as he is.

Edited by Alphadawg7