THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Off and Running

Shaw66

10. Not to close on a downer, but the Bills haven’t won the fans back, not yet. The stadium was loud occasionally but not consistently. There wasn’t a lot of vocal support for the defense, not the every-play kind of support we used to hear. Once in a while in big situations, but none of the persistent noise that really upsets opposing offenses. Post-game, it seemed like the Bills had lost. Very little celebrating, cheering or chanting as the fans left the stadium. Walking through the parking lots, I had to wonder whether these were Bills fans after a win or a bunch of folks heading home from Topps with the groceries. (In some ways it’s a shame the NFL and the Bills cracked down on raucous tailgating in the Bills’ lots.) If the Bills win in Carolina next week, there should be some old-school fandemonium at New Era when the Broncos come to town. We need it and this team deserves it.

I noticed the same thing as well, it certainly didn't feel like a home opener against a division opponent. We moved the ball well, but heading into the 4th quarter we were only up 2 points against a team that many feel was deliberately constructed to lose. I think that took a lot of energy out of the crowd.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good write up..but I disagree here greatly with the Clay INT.

Clay had zero defenders between him and Taylor. Taylor did not force anything into double coverage, its a short field being in the redzone, almost impossible to not have 2 defenders near a player unless they have isolated only player to one side of the field and its man coverage only. The player covering Clay was trailing, and the second defender was behind Clay...thats open in the NFL, its a throw that should be made, its a throw that was put right where Clay should have caught it as it hit him in both his hands in front of his face. This is a throw all the top QB's attempt, but people are getting on TT as if it was a bad decision when it clearly wasn't as Clay was open and in the end zone where TT threw it.

Clay let it go through his hands and it ends up being an INT. I will let TT throw that pass 100% of the time, and when you are among the highest paid TE's in the NFL, there is literally not a single excuse for not catching it. If anyone thinks the coaches are going to review that tape and get on TT for throwing it, you are sorely mistaken. They will be all over Clay for not making a play he HAS to make.

For all Clay's athletic gifts, his mental game is weak and always has been. Watched him dog routes too often, make marginal efforts on plays we needed, too many focus lapses, etc. If this guy could up his focus and effort more consistently then I think he could be one of the better TE's in football. And with a heavier focus on him this year, hopefully that will translate into him being more focused and ready when TT throws his way moving forward.

Well, maybe it's all on Clay and I didn't see it clearly. I thought the ball took Clay by surprise (which may be on him, too), and it wasn't an easy catch - too high. That throw is supposed to be in his belly. Of course, the receiver has to help out his QB.

Plus when Clay caught the TD later, he clapped his hand on the ball as if to say that he was still upset about not getting the first one.

On the other hand, Clay was absolutely drilled on the one he missed. Taylor set him up for that.

End of the day, however, it has to be on Taylor. He threw a ball that wasn't right where it was supposed to be, and his receiver couldn't handle it. Back of the end zone, high. Front of the end zone, low.

It was a quiet tailgate, quiet game, quiet post tailgate and a quiet drive home with almost no one at the border.

We won a game we were meant to win against a team that brought few away fans. No away fans at the tailgate = none of the back and forth chatter that usually gets people ramped up. I mentioned at our tailgate that it felt more like a family reunion than a party, if you know what I mean.

Well, maybe it's all on Clay and I didn't see it clearly. I thought the ball took Clay by surprise (which may be on him, too), and it wasn't an easy catch - too high. That throw is supposed to be in his belly. Of course, the receiver has to help out his QB.

Plus when Clay caught the TD later, he clapped his hand on the ball as if to say that he was still upset about not getting the first one.

On the other hand, Clay was absolutely drilled on the one he missed. Taylor set him up for that.

End of the day, however, it has to be on Taylor. He threw a ball that wasn't right where it was supposed to be, and his receiver couldn't handle it. Back of the end zone, high. Front of the end zone, low.

Well maybe that is where the disconnect is, because I watched the play multiple times, it was 100% on Clay. I mean you keep making concrete conclusions of blame and yet say you didn't even see the play clearly.

Clay did NOT drop the pass because he was drilled, the ball was already tipped up and past him when any contact was made on Clay. And come on...now its somehow TT's fault that a defender on down and goal was standing in the end zone behind Clay and somehow TT set him up for that? Dude, its a short field, redzone stand. Defenders will and should be around the ball and the guys being thrown too, its a short field to cover. The QB is tasked with putting the ball in the hands of the target where they can make the play and not the defender. Only here will our QB get blamed for doing it when the receiving option doesn't catch it.

TT has a lot to prove this year, but this obsession around this board of discrediting his successes and blaming him for others mistakes is frustrating.

And as far as putting it in his gut...you do realize that a QB has to throw over his OL and DL to complete a pass too right and that a low or gut throw isn't always cleanly there?

It was a quiet tailgate, quiet game, quiet post tailgate and a quiet drive home with almost no one at the border.

We won a game we were meant to win against a team that brought few away fans. No away fans at the tailgate = none of the back and forth chatter that usually gets people ramped up. I mentioned at our tailgate that it felt more like a family reunion than a party, if you know what I mean.

I thought it was really weird. And you're right about not many Jets fans being there. Usually there are plenty, but the Jets fans are so bummed right about now, it's understandable.

I really would like to see the Bills beat Carolina, because that will bring the crowd back to life for game three. That's a tall order.

Regarding the D-Line, I would suggest that much is to do with system, and keeping their powder dry until more needed. Albeit with another pass rusher, in Mario, the front 4 under Schwartz, showed a lot of ability to utilize stunts to get to QBs. I doubt very much that that capability has disappeared entirely, and would hope that we start to see it as the season progresses.

I'd guess that there are elements of the game plan, and also how comfortable the coaches are with the players keeping to their assignments, that will have to be addressed, before they will let them loose, as it were. Even under Schwartz, they didn't really start going after it until the second half of the season.

Overall, the D looked pretty composed throughout, with only one obvious blown assignment that I saw. I thought they got a little 'soft' on coverages occasionally, but I'm pretty certain that was deliberate, and while it's not something I like personally, it was probably what was called.

Whilst disappointed that Williams was cut, I like having Tolbert to spell Shady. Simply because if you are running the football as much as we will, having a physical lump doing some of it, helps with the softening up process.

While talking about the offense, I also liked the odd designed QB run that got us a 1st down from tricky 3rd down situations. Some nice play design, as was the first TD.

First impressions are that this isn't going to be a team that 'tanks'. There appears to be too much general competence for that to happen, both on and off the field, as the coaches appear to know what they are about, and have translated what they want to the players fairly well. Another 7-9 to 9-7 season beckons assuming Shady can be kept upright.

Well maybe that is where the disconnect is, because I watched the play multiple times, it was 100% on Clay. I mean you keep making concrete conclusions of blame and yet say you didn't even see the play clearly.

Clay did NOT drop the pass because he was drilled, the ball was already tipped up and past him when any contact was made on Clay. And come on...now its somehow TT's fault that a defender on down and goal was standing in the end zone behind Clay and somehow TT set him up for that? Dude, its a short field, redzone stand. Defenders will and should be around the ball and the guys being thrown too, its a short field to cover. The QB is tasked with putting the ball in the hands of the target where they can make the play and not the defender. Only here will our QB get blamed for doing it when the receiving option doesn't catch it.

TT has a lot to prove this year, but this obsession around this board of discrediting his successes and blaming him for others mistakes is frustrating.

And as far as putting it in his gut...you do realize that a QB has to throw over his OL and DL to complete a pass too right and that a low or gut throw isn't always cleanly there?

Read again what I've said about Taylor. I'm not discrediting him for anything. I'll take that game all day.

I didn't say Clay missed because he got hit. I said Taylor hung him out to dry - throwing that pass assured that Clay would get hit by two defenders. If Clay cracked a couple of ribs on that play, you'd agree the throw was a problem.

The ball looked like it surprised Clay. Should it have? No. The play didn't happen so fast that he should have been surprised. But the ball WAS high, and that's not the place for that throw to be.

Ask Taylor and he'll say it's on him. Ask Clay and he'll say it's on him.

Regarding the D-Line, I would suggest that much is to do with system, and keeping their powder dry until more needed. Albeit with another pass rusher, in Mario, the front 4 under Schwartz, showed a lot of ability to utilize stunts to get to QBs. I doubt very much that that capability has disappeared entirely, and would hope that we start to see it as the season progresses.

I'd guess that there are elements of the game plan, and also how comfortable the coaches are with the players keeping to their assignments, that will have to be addressed, before they will let them loose, as it were. Even under Schwartz, they didn't really start going after it until the second half of the season.

Overall, the D looked pretty composed throughout, with only one obvious blown assignment that I saw. I thought they got a little 'soft' on coverages occasionally, but I'm pretty certain that was deliberate, and while it's not something I like personally, it was probably what was called.

Whilst disappointed that Williams was cut, I like having Tolbert to spell Shady. Simply because if you are running the football as much as we will, having a physical lump doing some of it, helps with the softening up process.

While talking about the offense, I also liked the odd designed QB run that got us a 1st down from tricky 3rd down situations. Some nice play design, as was the first TD.

First impressions are that this isn't going to be a team that 'tanks'. There appears to be too much general competence for that to happen, both on and off the field, as the coaches appear to know what they are about, and have translated what they want to the players fairly well. Another 7-9 to 9-7 season beckons assuming Shady can be kept upright.

Buddo -

I agree about the defensive line and the possibility for progress. They aren't done building this defense.

Also right about blown assignments - very few, and occasional soft coverage - clearly intentional.

Read again what I've said about Taylor. I'm not discrediting him for anything. I'll take that game all day.

I didn't say Clay missed because he got hit. I said Taylor hung him out to dry - throwing that pass assured that Clay would get hit by two defenders. If Clay cracked a couple of ribs on that play, you'd agree the throw was a problem.

The ball looked like it surprised Clay. Should it have? No. The play didn't happen so fast that he should have been surprised. But the ball WAS high, and that's not the place for that throw to be.

Ask Taylor and he'll say it's on him. Ask Clay and he'll say it's on him.

Buddo -

I agree about the defensive line and the possibility for progress. They aren't done building this defense.

Also right about blown assignments - very few, and occasional soft coverage - clearly intentional.

I disagree about who would take blame...ask Clay and he will say it was on him, I doubt TT believes it was on him nor the coaches given how frustrated TT got with Clay after that.

And why was he going to get hit by 2 guys? One was trailing...and who cares if he gets hit, its football on a short and goal situation with everyone in the crowded end zone. You throw to whose open, not to who might also get hit when he catches the ball. Clay was open, it was put right where he needed to put it and it hit Clay right in the hands directly in front of his face. Somehow in Buffalo thats the QBs fault, yet if the roles were reversed and we were on defense and it was the Jets TE who dropped it...everyone would be saying we got a lucky INT because the TE let a ball go through his hands...not that the QB made a bad pass.

Considering you already said you didn't really see the play, lets just agree to disagree because you are arguing about something you already admitted to even seeing the play clearly lmao.

Good write up..but I disagree here greatly with the Clay INT.

Clay had zero defenders between him and Taylor. Taylor did not force anything into double coverage, its a short field being in the redzone, almost impossible to not have 2 defenders near a player unless they have isolated only player to one side of the field and its man coverage only. The player covering Clay was trailing, and the second defender was behind Clay...thats open in the NFL, its a throw that should be made, its a throw that was put right where Clay should have caught it as it hit him in both his hands in front of his face. This is a throw all the top QB's attempt, but people are getting on TT as if it was a bad decision when it clearly wasn't as Clay was open and in the end zone where TT threw it.

Clay let it go through his hands and it ends up being an INT. I will let TT throw that pass 100% of the time, and when you are among the highest paid TE's in the NFL, there is literally not a single excuse for not catching it. If anyone thinks the coaches are going to review that tape and get on TT for throwing it, you are sorely mistaken. They will be all over Clay for not making a play he HAS to make.

For all Clay's athletic gifts, his mental game is weak and always has been. Watched him dog routes too often, make marginal efforts on plays we needed, too many focus lapses, etc. If this guy could up his focus and effort more consistently then I think he could be one of the better TE's in football. And with a heavier focus on him this year, hopefully that will translate into him being more focused and ready when TT throws his way moving forward.

I think a l;ot of people are on TT for throwing it because, being the quality leader he is, Tyrod took the blame for that saying it was a bad decision when, in fact I agree 100%, it was not a bad decision.

I disagree about who would take blame...ask Clay and he will say it was on him, I doubt TT believes it was on him nor the coaches given how frustrated TT got with Clay after that.

And why was he going to get hit by 2 guys? One was trailing...and who cares if he gets hit, its football on a short and goal situation with everyone in the crowded end zone. You throw to whose open, not to who might also get hit when he catches the ball. Clay was open, it was put right where he needed to put it and it hit Clay right in the hands directly in front of his face. Somehow in Buffalo thats the QBs fault, yet if the roles were reversed and we were on defense and it was the Jets TE who dropped it...everyone would be saying we got a lucky INT because the TE let a ball go through his hands...not that the QB made a bad pass.

Considering you already said you didn't really see the play, lets just agree to disagree because you are arguing about something you already admitted to even seeing the play clearly lmao.

Watch the video. Clay JUMPED for the ball, hands over his head and it went off his fingers. Ask Taylor where that ball is supposed to be and he will say at or below the waist. Especially on 3rd down in the red zone. Up is the only place it can be intercepted. Taylor missed by 5 feet. It cost the.Bills 3 points.

I think a l;ot of people are on TT for throwing it because, being the quality leader he is, Tyrod took the blame for that saying it was a bad decision when, in fact I agree 100%, it was not a bad decision.

not a bad decision but a bad throw.

I agree that many teams dont get pressure with 4 guys, however, what im trying to say is that we should be one of the teams that gets pressure with 4guys. And if we cant do that i dont think our defense will be successfull in the long run.

Jerry Hughes now has 11 sacks in his last 33 games. He is supposed to be our premier pass rusher. Those numbers just dont cut it.

Dareus has 5.5 sacks in his last 24 games. That wont cut it either.

Im not saying this defense is going to be horrible. But against above average passing teams, If this defense cant bring the heat without blitzing we're going to be in trouble.

The problem is everyone is thinking back to how the defense played when Shwartz was here. Those guys, outside of Shaq, are all 3 years older. That's a long time in football years! They should be slowing down and pressuring the QB less with just 4 guys. I'm not sure why its so surprising.

It's weird.. What the last 17 years have done to this fanbase, culminating in many of the moves made this offseason and in particular the last month. But, it's like half the fan base is not only expected the team to suck, but almost need them to suck so they can justify their hard-lined opinions. So we see everyone demanding near perfect performances, with every mistake being highlighted and blown out of proportion. Rather than talk about the good game Tyrod had, all people wanna talk about is how it wasn't good enough.

Yes, the team wasn't perfect yesterday. And yes it was just the Jets. But so many people seem overly critical. I was expecting to read all the glowing comments today... But I felt like I needed to check the score again, because to read some posts it seems we really lost the game. Not the OP here (mind you). Yesterday was a good game, just about the best way you could have scripted a week one game for this team. Let's all enjoy it. let's give this team a chance. Sure, they're gonna make mistakes and lose games, but yesterday was far and away more good than bad. ...stepping down from soap box...

Cover1 on Twitter pointed out it was an intentional back shoulder throw to lead Clay away from the lurking safety Jamal Adams. It wasn't on Tyrod at all. Those are the throws everyone has been wanting him to make, "give the receivers a chance." Well the receivers need to make the catches too. I've read a lot of outside analysis of the game and everyone mentions that play as being a drop by Clay.

If Clay holds on to the ball there wouldnt be a single person trying to say it was a bad throw. Anyone who did would be shouted down as nitpicking. Tyrod would have had 300 yards and 3 TDs with 0 INTs. Shows you how one drop can drastically change the average fan's perception of the game.

I was there and I didn't really notice it until you pointed it out in your initial post. definitely just 60,000 people basically racing to their cars to get out of there and get home.... very business trip like.

for me though it had more to do with the fact that we played what looks to be an awful team. I went in knowing there wasn't really much they could do while beating them that would get me all too excited.

I was there too, and I think it had more to do with the quality of the opponent. Everyone knew and expected that we would beat the Jets.

Great post.

I am not concerned about the pass rush -- yet. I think the Jets utilized McCown's experience to implement a very quick-hitting passing game. If a young QB was playing he'd have held the ball longer and you'd have seen 5 or 6 sacks and probably a couple more turnovers. In the 4th quarter, when McCown had to look downfield, pressure caused both INTs.

Cover1 on Twitter pointed out it was an intentional back shoulder throw to lead Clay away from the lurking safety Jamal Adams. It wasn't on Tyrod at all. Those are the throws everyone has been wanting him to make, "give the receivers a chance." Well the receivers need to make the catches too. I've read a lot of outside analysis of the game and everyone mentions that play as being a drop by Clay.

If Clay holds on to the ball there wouldnt be a single person trying to say it was a bad throw. Anyone who did would be shouted down as nitpicking. Tyrod would have had 300 yards and 3 TDs with 0 INTs. Shows you how one drop can drastically change the average fan's perception of the game.

Days -

Watch the replay on NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017091000/2017/REG1/Jets@Bills?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017091000#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000842391&tab=recap Clay clearly goes airborne.

Watch the replay on ESPN - commentator says Taylor overthrew Clay. http://www.espn.com/nfl/video?gameId=400951567

That ball is supposed to be at Clay's waist, not over his head.

Edited by Shaw66

Nice write up with the exception of when you need insurance you call State Farm not Geico :)

1000% agree lol...State Farm is light years better and cheaper than Geico, and settles claims instantly. Had a break in on my car in the driveway on a Thursday, had a check in hand inside my mail box 48 hours later for $3500 for the items stolen when I reported it Thursday morning. Been this on a number of claims over the years I had to use State Farm for. Good catch on that...

Agree 100%. Best part of that play was the very fact TT both threw that pass and the fact he placed it where only Clay could get it and gave him an opportunity to put BOTH hands directly on the ball. I will take TT making that pass every single week...thats how you win in the NFL...except your receiver needs to actually catch it.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1000% agree lol...State Farm is light years better and cheaper than Geico, and settles claims instantly. Had a break in on my car in the driveway on a Thursday, had a check in hand inside my mail box 48 hours later for $3500 for the items stolen when I reported it Thursday morning. Been this on a number of claims over the years I had to use State Farm for. Good catch on that...

Agree 100%. Best part of that play was the very fact TT both threw that pass and the fact he placed it where only Clay could get it and gave him an opportunity to put BOTH hands directly on the ball. I will take TT making that pass every single week...thats how you win in the NFL...except your receiver needs to actually catch it.

Interesting story about State Farm. Personally, I've been with AMICA forever, and they're great too.

I'd never buy insurance from an amphibian. Not that I'm biased; some of my best friends are amphibians.