The Defense yesterday was bland on purpose

KellyToughII

It's probably fair to say a rookie head coach didn't empty his entire bag of tricks in his first game. At the very least, gameplanning for $cam Newton is going to be a lot different, so I think it's reasonable to expect a few different looks next week.

Like charlotte bills fan too said. hope they are able to play to the Team at hand and we see a different D for Cam and that RB.

Whole lotta pressure up the middle from MD

They gameplanned to stop the run, and did it quite successfully imo.

yep

I actually wouldn't doubt this is true, but if not this pass rush wasn't that great against a team it should have dominated.

McDermott and Frasier no doubt will blitz like crazy against Newton who did not look good at all against the 49ers and still nowhere close to being at full strength because that's the only chance we have of winning this game in Carolina.

you sure?

My only complaint is lack of pass rush by the front 4. And it is not as much a complaint as it is a surprise...I believe in time they will show their abilities. But can we really complain when they give up 212 yards?

We can complain when they rush for unsuccessfully AND get carved up in the passing game.

I thought McCoy's post-game presser may have been more revealing than some realize - he mentioned they had a bunch of pass plays designed for him that they didn't end up using - probably b/c they didn't need them - but I think that's a hint of how much offensive gameplan we still haven't seen.

good catch Mr Chalmers !

Being a stoner and being in shape usually don't go hand in hand.

Hey , i have a cousin's brother who takes offense to that.

My only complaint is lack of pass rush by the front 4. And it is not as much a complaint as it is a surprise...I believe in time they will show their abilities. But can we really complain when they give up 212 yards?

In fairness McCown was taking 3 step drops most of the game and getting the ball out quickly.

Aaaaaaand - you're miserable.

he is likely correct though. Frazier is a boring Coach. All about fundamentals. Tackling, ball awareness (eyes) and seeing what leaks out from the LOS then coming downhill.

Should be fun though, no way the front Foursome don have a field day soon.

and there of course is some truth behind keeping you cards close to the vest as the season begins.

Play to win ? Oh hell yes.

In fairness McCown was taking 3 step drops most of the game and getting the ball out quickly.

Bills were about stopping the run and keeping passses underneath. Seemed to work out.

he is likely correct though. Frazier is a boring Coach. All about fundamentals. Tackling, ball awareness (eyes) and seeing what leaks out from the LOS then coming downhill.

and there of course is some truth behind keeping you cards close to the vest as the season begins.

Could be. All good. Love to see the energy witnessed yesterday.

He's just a miserable bastage and like to point it out whenever he gets too whiny - which is far too often.

Could be. All good. Love to see the energy witnessed yesterday.

He's just a miserable bastage and like to point it out whenever he gets too whiny - which is far too often.

all good for sure

we all have our aches and pains and sometime we get cranky.

Good Team Game. Thats what i told my buddies i was looking for. Few mental mistakes and few missed plays physically. Guys flying to the ball ( who the heck is Leonard Johnson ? ) Good plays by a bunch of I don't know who that number was

Bills were about stopping the run and keeping passses underneath. Seemed to work out.

I'll take this over the Rex D crap last season as long it's better and help Bill's win games.

Sean McDermott should have a better feel for the Carolina Offense than maybe any other human being in the World. I think we will be really well prepared in all three phases this week. Should be a entertaining game. We shouldn't discount intel from Web, Clay, and to a lesser degree Toldozer.

Just watched the condensed game and the Bills D was dominant. By the 4th quarter, the Bills front 4 were getting 5-6 yards push every pass play, was all over Mcnown and the secondary was brilliant hence the 2 picks. I`m not sure I would call this defense vanilla or bland. In fact I think it is quite exotic with the things they can do with the back 7 because of all the speed of those players. They can absolutely fly to the football. I think they compete next week.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

Just watched the condensed game and the Bills D was dominant. By the 4th quarter, the Bills front 4 were getting 5-6 yards push every pass play, was all over Mcnown and the secondary was brilliant hence the 2 picks. I`m not sure I would call this defense vanilla. In fact I think it is quite exotic with the things they can do with the back 7 because of all the speed of those players. They can absolutely fly to the football. I think they compete next week.

Ya Frazier is a great secondary coach as well. He helped changed Raven's secondary as well last year,,

Sean McDermott should have a better feel for the Carolina Offense than maybe any other human being in the World. I think we will be really well prepared in all three phases this week. Should be a entertaining game. We shouldn't discount intel from Web, Clay, and to a lesser degree Toldozer.

I like the idea of Web having info on their special teams.

I think what you're gonna see at Carolina is less of Dareus until he gets back into shape.

Just finished watching the entire game and was very disappointed in the way Dareus played... other than a couple of half-hearted swim moves, he just stood up and took up space, didn't have much of a push.

Pass rush caused 2 ints and like 5 throwaways in 2nd half , McCown was getting that ball out quick. Tightened up coverage in 2nd half, we got pressure and penetration in run game pretty consistently. He rotates his line to keep guys fresh,

Pass rush caused 2 ints and like 5 throwaways in 2nd half , McCown was getting that ball out quick. Tightened up coverage in 2nd half, we got pressure and penetration in run game pretty consistently. He rotates his line to keep guys fresh,

Yeah things changed in the fourth quarter. As others have said, there were a lot of 3 step and out plays. Also, McCown is a pro, he knows how to get rid of the ball.

So let me get this straight:

1. Its McD Head Coaching debut and the home opener.

2. Its a must win game being in our division.

3. Its a must win game given the difficulty of a number of up coming opponents being tougher to win.

4. It was a game in which the Jets stayed within striking distance most of the game (thanks to Clay and a missed FG)

And you think that a professional NFL HC, who knows any team can win on any given Sunday, decided to hold back just to try and disguise something for the next week? Come on...where do people come up with this stuff? The next time an NFL HC decides to hold back in his professional debut, at home, against a divisional rival, and against a team that its imperative we beat twice this year given the amount of quality opponents on our schedule with be the first time in NFL history.

Coaches don't think like this, and they sure as hell don't think like fans do. There is literally zero probability he held anything back for Carolina. They absolutely went conservative when we had a 2 score advantage and the game was in our control to just run clock down, which was smart. But nothing that happened on the field on Sunday had anything to do with Carolina.

The most intelligent post in the thread! :worthy:

Just finished watching the entire game and was very disappointed in the way Dareus played... other than a couple of half-hearted swim moves, he just stood up and took up space, didn't have much of a push.

Ive watched it several times as well and think he played solid, not amazing, but solid. It's crazy how different people watch the same plays and have completely different takes.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

This is what I noticed. As a result of their effectiveness with this, when they did do 7 step drops, our DLstopped pressuring and tried to get their arms up to block passes becusae of how often they were utilizing 3step drops. I'm sure we'll blitz every game, just rarely, so they don't think it's coming. See Poyer -on the rollout right.

Sorry, KTIII, I'm not buying what you're selling.

It was vanilla and blitzless because we run a cover defense. It forces opponent to have to beat you every play, consistently, without allowing the big play and "making them earn it". That's what we are now.

I would imagine with all the money on the D-line, Fraz/McD fully expected them to hit home just rushing 4. But it didn't happen.

I don't expect that to change until we play elite qb's, at least I hope we adjust it then.